Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 2:49 pm

Cats absolutely adore me. Animals in general seem to be very fond of me but cats can't seem to get enough. Like dogs love me, but not ALL dogs. I have had some dogs growl and avoid me. I have never had a cat avoid me. Even the "mean" ones seek me out for petting. I used to have a friend who's cat was adopted from a shelter. The cat had been severely abused and, as a result, had an extremely dislike for people. It only liked my friend and it would attack everyone else. The very first time that I was invited to sleep over at her house, the dog went crazy and attacked me (playfully) but soon got tired and walked off. Then her other cat "a HUGE ball of fluff) came for a snuggle. Then the abused cat came over and sat in my lap....which was unheard of. She always hides when people come over. My friend freaked out when she saw me doing my typical response to cats (face burried in the fur while sneezing and saying "I love you!!" over and over). "STOP! That cat will bite the s--t out of you!! !" She didn't. I pet he for over an hour. She would hiss whenever the dog came over and I tried to put her down.

Two days ago I went to my best friend's house and she was like "Oooh! Do you wanna see a kitty?!" and I, mimicing her excitement, yelled "I would LOVE to see a kitty!! !" so she took me and our other friend next door to see her neighbors cat (we call them kitties whether they actually are or not....). The cat is typically afraid of new people. I came straight to my best friend because she played with it daily. But when I came in the house it ignored both her and our other friend and jumped on me. The woman who lived there was amazed at how quickly she had taken to me. The cat basically wanted to play and climb all over me (at one point I was walking around with her on my shoulders).

So...my question is, does anyone else seem to have this effect on cats?

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 3:47 pm

They don't react to me like that, Though, I could guess that you're even more a cat person than me and they see it in you. Also it could be the eye contact thing, cats view looking in the eye a sign of aggression, could be you don't look them in the eye too?

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 3:48 pm

Not always, but occasionally have similar effect.

That is so cool :D Enjoy what you have with them - but, hey, that's not news, you already are! :lol:

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 3:55 pm

LostAlien wrote:
They don't react to me like that, Though, I could guess that you're even more a cat person than me and they see it in you. Also it could be the eye contact thing, cats view looking in the eye a sign of aggression, could be you don't look them in the eye too?

I actually stare into their eyes...they are very pretty. I tend to get lost in them and then come back to earth when the cat starts licking my nose or something (I get really close when I look).

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 5:41 pm

They seem to adore me also I seem to have a way with animals. I guess its somewhat of a gift

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2009, 5:45 pm

blackcat wrote:
So...my question is, does anyone else seem to have this effect on cats?

I do. I've always thought it was something about my body language that they like.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 2:49 am

My brother and me both have that effect on
kittypusses, the shyer ones will muff up to
us.

My FuzzMo of course loves me but will muff
up to my brother (a fellow kittypuss lover)
in a second, as will his 2 kittypusses muff
up to me, his little black kittypuss Patches
will sit on my lap before we have to go somewhere
and I tell brother that "I'm tied down by a Puss"
and I don't want to just stand up, so brother
gets out the kittitreats so Patches wants
to get up so we can go somewhere.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 5:47 am

Happens to me to some extent, though it's not universal.

I've almost lost count of the number of cats that have strayed into my house. They seem to know they're safe here. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 5:24 pm

Cats don't really seem to be bothered by me, for some reason I don't seem to attract pets. :lol: Still, I do like cats. :) :D

SpongeBobRocksMao!

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2009, 6:33 pm

Cats that live near my Nan seem to like me. Whenever I crouch down to stroke them, they lick my hand :) .

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 10:07 pm

No. I'm not big fan of cats and they can probably sense it. They require too much attention for me.

Laney2005
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2009, 10:29 pm

I recently had a cat come running out of the woods in front of my house, leap into my arms and grab me around the neck in a hug. I am his human now.

It has always been this way with animals and me. They just like me, which is fine, because I like them.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:20 am

I have that effect on both cats and dogs, but moreso with cats. A neighbor was walking their little dog a couple months ago and I went over to say hello. They started to warn me that their dog wasn't friendly, so I just put my hand out for her to sniff. She started licking it and then tried to jump in my lap and licked my face. They'd had the dog for YEARS and that was the first time she hadn't been aggressive to a stranger. They were very impressed :D

When I worked at a vet clinic I was the official cat person - I was the only person who was able to handle the scared or aggressive cats. They'd be sweet with me but attack everyone else.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:25 am

Laney2005 wrote:
I recently had a cat come running out of the woods in front of my house, leap into my arms and grab me around the neck in a hug. I am his human now.

It has always been this way with animals and me. They just like me, which is fine, because I like them.

Two of my cats came to be part of my family that way! Miso was a stray living on a college campus. A girl emailed me about her and said she'd come out to eat from the dumpster every night and cry, but she'd run from anyone who came near her. I came out the next night with some food and treats. The cat came out of some trees and I called to her "Hi Miso!". I sat down on the curb and put a treat down next to me. She came over, ate it, and then hopped in my lap and started purring. I came back with a carrier for her the next day and took her home, and she is now my very special baby girl.

Jareth also decided that he was going to join the family, forcibly! I was TNRing the local strays and ferals, and had an appointment for a cat who came every day at the same time to eat. But she must have sensed that it was vet day, because she wasn't there. I set the carrier down, and a very matted and sick looking cat I hadn't seen before came up on the porch, meowed at me, and walked right into it. He said, you're taking me instead! And so I did. I got him all fixed up (though he's blind in one eye and missing many teeth) and he is THE most lovable cat I've ever met. He gives hugs and likes to sit on my husband's shoulder. :D

TiredGeek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 4:03 pm

I attract cats, even shy ones that don't normally take to strangers. I try not to make extended eye contact with them because I read that they don't like it, but I can't help staring at their eyes and they don't seem to mind. When I think of it, I blink at them slowly because supposedly they like that. I only attract dogs when there's not a more dog-friendly person around to attract them.

I feed the neighborhood ferals and strays, and try to get them TNR'ed, but it hasn't been working because there is only one local charity to go to, and they won't do it unless the cat comes at the same time every day. Only one cat did, and a week after I released her, she got hurt and lay in our yard until I got her and took her to the vet. I had to keep her in our basement then, to put medicine in her food. She became very loving to me, and didn't want to go back outside, so I slowly introduced her to our 2 indoor cats and she's mine now. She's too young and hyper for the older cats, so I adopted a kitten to keep her company and they all get along well now. As for the rest of the ferals and strays, I'm now not sure if some of them don't have other people feeding them, and one even seems like he might already be neutered. They still won't come on a regular schedule, so I've mostly given up on TNR, though I do keep an eye out for "female in heat" behaviors in which case I will get them spayed even if I have to pay for it myself. My regular customers right now are all males.

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2009, 4:11 pm

Like some of the others who replied, it's not just cats who like me, but some other animals as well. Deer, rabbits, ducks, and other wild fauna tolerate my presence much more than they do that of other people, and will sometimes approach quite close to me.

And small children. I've never understood this, but small children love the sight of me and want to come up to me, often breaking away from their parents to do so. If they run towards me, I usually go stand next to their parents, so that to get close to me they have to come back to their parents.