Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 4:39 am

She seems to have autistic facial expressions at least, and on top of that probably a lot of learnt NT-communication. She still does look a little odd, regardless of her coping skills.

Very strange that she would turn up here. An hour ago I saw her in a newspaper, and got a strange feeling about her. And that was without seeing any facial expressions at all.

Edit: She is even scratching her skin at the end of the interview. Very odd.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 7:46 pm

get a sample of her dna

JKerl2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Nov 2009, 10:53 pm

jennyann45 wrote:
She's Bella in Twilight, so she's pretty big all over, and while I really could care less about that movie, I can't help but notice how she acts in interviews and in public, it's not really "normal". And yeah, I probably should have posted a link to something. What made that possible AS scenario pop into my head was once I saw her on the MTV Movie Awards. (It's about a minute in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2s-La6WHTI

She's just nervous. She's a kid. You guys are pretty quick to diagnose based on almost nothing.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 11:44 pm

There was an article on her in Allure recently.. which emphasized what a ridiculously public position she's in; Twilight has such a cult following, she's being literally stalked by paparazzi. I think any remotely normal person would start acting strangely if that were happening to them.. There are a few celebrities who are comfortable being stalked by the media, but I think that those select few are on as far from NT as most aspies are, in the other direction.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 12:17 am

Whats wrong with twilight?

Read this. It gives a clear eye on whats really going on.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-36-twilight/

Having read some books on fundamentalist mormons, I can see that regular mormon Stephenie Meyer has really interesting ideas about love in common with them.

Read the link. All of it.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2009, 2:09 am

buryuntime wrote:
She uses sarcasm. Talks fine. Seems to look at the person, suggesting eye contact. Uses hands while talking.

That might be stuff she learned from acting training. She can learn to fake it.

Quote:
She seems to move around a bit, however. More indicative that she is nervous.

Nervous about what? She's the star of the most popular movie in America, and is nervous about being on a show nobody ever heard of? Only an aspie would be nervous for that reason.

JKerl2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Nov 2009, 2:20 am

Quote:
Nervous about what? She's the star of the most popular movie in America, and is nervous about being on a show nobody ever heard of? Only an aspie would be nervous for that reason.

Pretty sure that's not true.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2009, 3:12 am

maybe not, but I'm pretty sure nobody ever heard of that guy's show before.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 3:33 am

BoringAaron wrote:
maybe not, but I'm pretty sure nobody ever heard of that guy's show before.

if thats so then why do they make it? You need an audience

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2009, 4:36 am

It seems like every day, some aspie tries to embrace a celebrity as one of their own, just because they act a little awkwardly in some interview or something! Get real! She's just an amateur actor who starred in a crappy teen-pop vampire movie!

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2010, 12:34 am

JKerl2 wrote:
She's just nervous. She's a kid. You guys are pretty quick to diagnose based on almost nothing.

she rocks back and forth during interviews.

she misses jokes and looks to the audience for cues. she talks about not wanting to go to a party after an award ceremony because she's already overwhelmed enough. when asked "how do you emotionally prepare for a scene" she answers with logic.

so speculation is speculation, of course, but i think this one is a pretty good bet?

i know i'm digging this thread up from the grave, but i have seen her mentioned in several "what actors might be aspie?" type threads, and i watched a bunch of interviews to see for myself what all the fuss was all about. and as the only actor i have ever heard of with a diagnosis is Dan Aykroyd, the speculation has got to be spot on some of the time.

here she is rocking on Jimmy Kimmel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vsvrFsEnis

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2010, 2:04 am

Social anxiety disorder, a common co-morbid disorder with AS, is probably more likely for Stewart. NT people can be clumsy too.

You also have to consider the fact she just recently became a world wide sensation(if you go by fan numbers, I get it, but I don't personally like twilight), which is no doubt very nerve racking.

Edit:shiz, this was necroed.

RSDavis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2010, 9:01 pm

I've been thinking that myself, especially since reading this bit about why she looks so miserable on the red carpet in my sister-in-law's US Magazine:

She explains, "It's not that I'm miserable. It's just that somebody's yelling at me...I literally, sometimes, have to keep myself from crying," on the red carpet. "It's a physical reaction to the energy that's thrown at you."

And of course there is this recent comment:

"What you don't see are the cameras shoved in my face and the bizarre intrusive questions being asked, or the people falling over themselves, screaming and taunting to get a reaction," Stewart, 20, told the July issue of Britain's Elle magazine.

"The photos are so ... I feel like I'm looking at someone being raped.

"A lot of the time I can't handle it," she said. "I never expected that this would be my life."

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2010, 9:39 pm

i happen to have an insane crush on her. strangely adventureland is what did it for me. she shot that before twilight (Was recruited for it while shooting it).

from roles i've seen her in, she does play outsiders in a few different films, odd misfits. check out cake eaters.

from interviews i've read it seems she considers herself unique and strange, and says she is just doing the acting as something to try out, and doesn't define herself in that way. which is an interesting point of view. she is quite the opposite of a mainstream hollywood person. she just happened to land that type of a role.

keep in mind female aspies tend to have less issues on the social piece, they have better emotional reciprocity and social fluency.

acting is actually a talent that is very likely to be developed by female aspies. it has been observed by clinicians that it goes unnoticed in females because they can become incredible imitators of socially successful peers.

so i think this is a great hypothesis, perhaps. not that it really matters in any significant way, but great choice of topic. it really got my mind turning.

while we are on the topic, i'll reveal a main premise of twilight which i find tangentially interesting in relation to the spectrum

the vampires can read the human's thoughts, and they can't read hers. so, it's sort of analogous to the idea of the aspie being unable to communicate emotional/social signals, or being unable to have their true feelings read by others.
in true blood, it is the opposite, where the human protagonist can read everyone's thoughts but cannot read the vampires'

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 10:25 pm

i doubt many actors at all are aspies...
though i could be wrong, maybe ALL actors are aspies :)

tenzinsmom
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2010, 10:39 pm

I don't see it.

She speaks rapidly, regular cadence, looking at him as much as he is looking at her (the interviewer).

I'm fascinated that a few of you relate to her so much. Forgive my ignorance, but I thought there had to be

something more obviously different about a person to have AS. Makes me re-evaluate myself....

I had decided on Highly Sensitive.... Hummmmm.....