Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 3:10 am

nah probably not.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:11 pm

I think it's possible. Her gestures, facial expressions and awkwardness are very similar to my own. But I would say if she does have it, it's just a touch.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:57 pm

OMG!

I have a friend who was my best buddy about 20 years ago, but we just send Christmas cards now, and otherwise aren't really in touch. Well, I got a letter from her, and she told me about this actress named Kristen Stewart, and said she reminded her of me.

Well, I looked her up and saw some pictures, and sure enough, she looks like a younger, thinner, prettier version of me. I see the resemblence, and of course my friend has the younger me in her mind, so she'd see it even more.

But I only looked at pictures. I just watched a bit of that interview (but it's loading slowly, so I haven't seen it all.) Her mannerisms, facial expressions, and way of moving and phrasing things is exactly like me. The way her eyes look when she glances away. Put 30 pounds and 20 years on her, and a slightly goofier nose, and it's me! (Okay, I just realized how young and skinny she is. Better make it 40 pounds and 25 years.)

AS? I don't know. She looks perfectly normal to me! :wink: Honestly, I couldn't tell, but I don't know how on the spectrum I am either. If I were being interviewed on television, I'd be a bit more nervous, but I'm not a trained actress.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:19 pm

Aurore wrote:
I think it's possible. Her gestures, facial expressions and awkwardness are very similar to my own. But I would say if she does have it, it's just a touch.

I had the same thoughts. She presents quite a bit like me, with a similar speaking style - stream of consciousness-like topics which change every minute or so, the correcting herself, which I do, the fact that she was in a live interview but seemed to get stuck on the topic of spiders and ticks... no NT woman would behave like that. Her eye contact shifted all over the place, she would look at him, then the floor, then beside him, then him, the floor....
She also reminded me like an aspie lady friend I have. I think she is mildly on the spectrum, about the same amount as me maybe.

Taking a break.

Sala
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2009, 1:37 pm

I have no idea if the actress has AS. But I adore the books and I will be in the theatre on friday with my hunny to see the movie. Very excited but sooooooooo nervous. Hope it's not crowded in the AM...

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:46 pm

No.
It's an interview. Who wouldn't be nervous during an interview, even a little bit?
She might be a bit shy, but that does that equal AS.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 3:14 pm

I don't think she has Asperger's. She does seem to get very nervous when talking on camera & she may be socially awkward, but some people are like that. She's probably just shy. That doesn't mean she has Asperger's, though.

arisu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 6:34 pm

i couldn't really say. i know she's come across as awkward in a few interviews but considering that she's only 19 now and was thrust into global stardom rather abruptly i think it's possible she's just overwhelmed.

as for Twilight, I happen to love the books and so far the movies and I have AS. SHOCKING! i think people go around saying they hate Twilight for being a fad when they don't realize that it took years for the books to make it big. some of us were even fans before the books became a global phenomenon. meanwhile, i don't see the point in having disdain for something just because it's popular.

Sala
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2009, 6:49 pm

Well said Arisu! I am one of the fans who was a HUGE fan before the rest of the world knew anything about it. I think it's great how huge it has become, and I think that the people who made Twilight have made more of an effort to stay true to the book than any other movie I've ever seen that was a book first.

I also watched Oprah interview Stephenie Meyer the ohter day and I was thrilled to learn that she was in on picking cast members and the actors in the movie are EXACTLY how the author imagined her characters. That will only make the movies that much more magical for me. I am so excited!! !! !!

arisu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 8:19 pm

Sala wrote:
Well said Arisu! I am one of the fans who was a HUGE fan before the rest of the world knew anything about it. I think it's great how huge it has become, and I think that the people who made Twilight have made more of an effort to stay true to the book than any other movie I've ever seen that was a book first.

I also watched Oprah interview Stephenie Meyer the ohter day and I was thrilled to learn that she was in on picking cast members and the actors in the movie are EXACTLY how the author imagined her characters. That will only make the movies that much more magical for me. I am so excited!! !! !!

i hear ya sala. apparently when paramount originally had their claws in twilight they were planning some ridiculous changes. think: bella the tennis star, fbi agents chasing the vamps and annual sojourns to mexico?

i was glad summit managed to hold so closely to the novel. here's hoping they'll do as well for new moon. i know they've made some changes but judging from what i've seen so far, these won't detract from the story.

monkbythesea
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2009, 5:12 am

My opinion, after doing a bit of research on her is that she is an aspie. But then again, I am not of the view that a person "suffering" from AS will neccessarily always appear like a mumbling lunatic (which, incidentally, she often does).
As to her looking into interviewers eyes.... haha, I´ve learnt to do that by now too (I´m in my 30ies), doesn´t mean I feel good doing it. In fact every time I feel like I am being raped a bit. But it´s a polite thing to do and makes people feel bad if you don´t do it. So I do it.

monkbythesea
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2009, 5:14 am

... just for the objectiveness sake - I do know that if you have a hammer everything will seem like a nail, I do.
Still, I am pretty sure I am right about Stewart. 8)

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2009, 8:47 am

I can't see anything in that interview that stands out as particularly AS. She just seems a little awkward and shy and these seem to lessen as the interview goes on.

I've seen NTs display these behaviors.

People on drugs also display similar behaviors.

Those behaviors just cover too many scenarios to say it's just AS.

ImNotOk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2009, 11:34 am

monkbythesea wrote:
My opinion, after doing a bit of research on her is that she is an aspie. But then again, I am not of the view that a person "suffering" from AS will neccessarily always appear like a mumbling lunatic (which, incidentally, she often does).
As to her looking into interviewers eyes.... haha, I´ve learnt to do that by now too (I´m in my 30ies), doesn´t mean I feel good doing it. In fact every time I feel like I am being raped a bit. But it´s a polite thing to do and makes people feel bad if you don´t do it. So I do it.

My AS son, who is 3 will look in peoples eyes. It was one of the things that confused his dr, but he is severe enough that AS is undeniable. I also have learned to look at people when they talk to me, briefly in their eyes then I focus on their mouth or nose so I am not so uncomfortable and they still think I am looking at them.

I also agree it could be drugs. I think sometimes its really hard to tell. I never would have thought John Travoltas son Jett was AS, but as it turns out he was.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 4:14 pm

I don't know, but that "shoons" part near the end is definitely me :x

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 4:39 am

She seems to have autistic facial expressions at least, and on top of that probably a lot of learnt NT-communication. She still does look a little odd, regardless of her coping skills.

Very strange that she would turn up here. An hour ago I saw her in a newspaper, and got a strange feeling about her. And that was without seeing any facial expressions at all.

Edit: She is even scratching her skin at the end of the interview. Very odd.