Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 8:03 pm

Usually on WP we find people like us and we are similar in ways and relate to each others behavior but I found one behavior which is looked down upon but I view it as just a different way of thinking. That behavior is laughing inapporpiately. Here are some examples

Main example 1) Laughing when kids get into trouble My thought process: You shouldn't have been disobeying to begin with so it's your fault for getting spanked/yelled at etc. (Now if you get injuryed that's a HUGE issue!)

2) Shooting in Orlando. My thought process: What do WE as people expect with a 10+% you are going to have some unstable people who might do these things and it's not the first time this has happen.

3) My parents were discussing a rape by the girls grandfather My thought process: It's IMO funny the girls father didn't do anything except call the cops my dad would be dead if he did anything to hurt my daughter!! !

So can anyone relate to me? (I've heard people saying I'm wrong,sadistic etc. sadly) :-(

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 8:20 pm

Yeah I can relate. It's more like laughing because something is ridiculous, rather than laughing because it's funny.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 8:22 pm

As inappropriate as it might seem to a casual observer, I think you are merely laughing at the ironic part of a troubling situation:

1) A child who "cries" (complains) over being corrected had actually brought the trouble upon himself or herself;

2) People being aghast over an unstable person doing something bad (as if they might sanely expect anything less);

3) People then *not* being upset by the inaction of the father of a raped juvenile.

Can I relate to you there? No, not in the sense of chuckling, but "yes" in the sense of at least seeing the irony you view amusingly even while yet realizing the sadness of it all, I suspect.

17 Nov 2009, 8:29 pm

I laughed when people jumped out of the windows on the twin towers because it reminded me of the game Rampage. I can imagine people seeing that as being cold hearted thinking I am finding their deaths hilarious, not because I am seeing a reference to a video game. Same as when the towers fell, I was in shock and was like "whoa" because of the fact the buildings collasped and didn't think of the people being in there. Also reminded me of Rampage. Well I was 16 then and I doubt other kids had empathy too because they didn't seem to care about it. My mom had to explain to me why people were jumping out of the building, would I rather burn to death or fall to my death which be a lot quicker and I picked the jumping out method.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 9:06 pm

People often find humour in things that make them feel uncomfortable. It's a coping mechanism. The recent incident we had between Willard and Friskeygirl is a perfect example.