I think I have found my preoccupied interest

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2009, 11:34 pm

Ok, so i know one trait of As is a preoccupation or special interest. I just couldn't think of any that i had. Growing up i loved unicorns. I don't remember them being a big part of my life, but i liked collecting things that were unicorns for years. Also dogs. I learned about many types of dogs, subscribed to Dog Fancy, bought books, etc on dogs. (I even snagged some books from our school library and bookfair, i know horrible, i was just a kid in elementary school! Oh, and i STILL have them!)

Those are the only two things that come to mind that i would have an intense interest in, but they did not take away from other things. I did not talk about them to other people much. Lately i have been trying to figure out what special interest i have and came up with nothing. Well, besides sitting on the computer...lol!

Then it dawned on me today while dropping my kids off at school. As i watched the resource teacher get some kids off the bus, the special ed helper waiting for the other kids, and those kids themselves getting off the bus, i have this interest in all of this. I find myself studying these kids by the way they talk, body language and how they interact. I try to figure out what their issues are. Then i observe how the teachers interact with them. I know some of the kids because they are my son's buddies, and i know some of the teachers because my son and daughter both have them. I was even happy to hear that my daughter's K teacher (mainstream) was a special ed teacher for many years, so i know she knows how to teach the kids to their learning style, or at least recognize it (which is on her IEP).

I also like medical stuff. I am not very medically book smart, but i love learning about different disabilities. I have also worked with an HMO and loved doing that kind of work (although my typing stinks big time). AS and autism have become something that has started to take up a lot of my time, ever since my son was diagnosed.

So that must be my special interest. Now, what can i do with it? Especially seeing that i have my own issues...no patience, socially awkward, etc.