How Old Were You When You Were Dx'd/Self Dx'd?

Page 6 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

How old were you when you were dx'd, or self-dx'd as on the spectrum?
0-5 years old 8%  8%  [ 34 ]
6-10 8%  8%  [ 34 ]
11-16 16%  16%  [ 67 ]
17-21 18%  18%  [ 79 ]
22-29 21%  21%  [ 90 ]
30-39 13%  13%  [ 57 ]
40-49 10%  10%  [ 43 ]
50+ 6%  6%  [ 24 ]
Not on the spectrum as far as you are aware 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 432

BritAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2013, 12:30 pm

I was diagnosed at age 3

BritAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2013, 12:30 pm

I was diagnosed at age 3

300series
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 3:46 pm

I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome at age 9.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 11:21 pm

58, which was a bit late. Had no idea at all until my mid 50's.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 11:32 pm

Was made aware at 39... DX'd a few weeks ago.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:02 am

i was diagnosed as simply "autistic" when i was about 3 years old.

the diagnosticians said simply that i was "mildly autistic", in that i exhibited many autistic traits, but i did not seem to be mentally impaired.

as a baby and child, i was unaffected by people grimacing at me or trying to catch my attention or involve me in any way with their attempted communication.

i did not cry to be picked up.

i did not feel lonely for company and start wailing for attention when left alone in my cot.

i wailed when i wanted something, but beyond that i did not care for affection or communication.

my sisters said they pulled goofy faces at me and tried to catch my attention to entertain me when i was a baby and toddler, and i paid no attention to them.

when people smiled at me i remained devoid of expression.

my parents became worried that there was something wrong with me and referred me for medical evaluation, which resulted in a diagnosis of "mild autism".

when i was 11, my behavior was too difficult for conventional schools to control, and i was referred to special psychiatric units for children and adolescents and i spent most of my school life in that environment.

my psychiatrist was marie bashir (who later became the governer of NSW (just a name dropping thing there)) and i was fascinated with her and she was likewise fascinated by me.

we developed a special relationship and i spent hours in sessions with her describing to her my answers to the questions she asked.

she was researching "autism" as well as providing therapy in those days (1983), and she once told me that she wanted me to participate in a study into a"different classification of autism".

she was working with lorna wing (by correspondence obviously) i believe gathering data for the eventual arrival at the diagnostic inclusion of "asperger's autism" into the dsm 2 or whatever it was at the time.

i had many interviews with her in the presence of university students (no more than 3 at a time).

so at that time, i believe it was believed by them that i would fit this new criteria, but i grew up and left before it was included in the dsm eventually in 1994.

in 1996 when i was 24 years old, i was in trouble for my 3rd drink driving charge and my lawyer wanted to find out more about my psychiatric history for my defense, and i was sent, together with the notes gathered by marie bashir, and my siblings and parents to an analyst who diagnosed me with the now valid "asperger syndrome" diagnosis.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:21 am

Around 23, and actually it was my sister who said she though I might have that and so I looked into it. I remember my mom got sort of mad at her because she thought it would upset me or something but actually it made a lot of sense, with a lot of social difficulties I've had and sensory issues.

AtypicalZen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2017, 3:34 pm

I've suspected since I worked with Autistic adults in mid-2000's, officially diagnosed high-functioning Autistic by psychiatrist at age 43 on Monday of this week.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 7:37 pm

When I was 13 (I still am!) :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 8:25 pm

Suspected it since I was 11. Formally diagnosed whe I was 14. I'm glad that I was diagnosed relatively young compared to some members here, but I still wish we knew a bit sooner. I think I could've had a better relationship with my family and trust people more. Or maybe not. But I'm still young, so I still have a lifetime to potentially fix that.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Sep 2017, 1:32 am

I never heard of it till my mom told me she thought I had it after I graduated high-skwel. I did alittle research & it seemed to fit so I thought I had it but I didn't dwell on it much. I was 18 at the time. I was misdiagnosed when i was officially tested at 20. I was told I had Aspergers but it was due to Schizoid Personality Disorder instead of autism.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 1:41 am

Professionally diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome when I was about nine or so - and I'm female. I had no idea what it meant until five years later. My parents saw some sort of show or something about it and thought it sounded a lot like me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 3:16 pm

Saw "Rain Man" when it came out on video in 1989 but never connected it to me.

Amateur Dx by my boss in the late 1990's but I thought he was bullying me.

I noticed the TV character "Temperance Bones" had similarities to me and read she might be an Aspie. I thought that combined with what my old boss said means I probably have it. At the time it never went beyond the mild curiosity stage so I never realized how important it was.

Diagnosed professionally at age 55 after intervention by siblings following probable "autistic burn out". My sister works with autistic children and picked it up.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 7:30 pm

I believe I was diagnosed as being on the spectrum when I was 18 months old.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 13, 2017)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 7:52 pm

I was 7.