Your Not Using the Right You're DAMMIT!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 4:45 pm

(and yes the title's grammar error was intentional)

This isn't Random, nor is it Fun. But I'm getting annoyed at seeing Autistics (of all people) make a very basic grammatical error of using your when it should've been you're.

Like "Your out of date" or "OMG YOUR NOT!?"

Both should've been "You're out of date" and "OMG, YOU'RE NOT!?"

I know every Autistic is unique unto themselves, but I honestly expect more in the way of correct spelling and basic grammar from Autistics than I would non-Autistic.

Several other errors:

Your/You're
Your = Denotes that the subject is in ownership of something. "Your dog" "Your cat" etc
You're = Abbreviated from "You are" (also "You were"). Denotes that the subject is something. "You're a dog owner" "You're a cat owner" etc.

There/Their/They're
There = Denotes location. "It's over there" "I'm there." "You're there." etc
Their = Denotes group ownership. "Their cats." "Their dogs." "Their spelling errors were shocking." etc
They're = Abbreviated from "They are". Denotes that the subjects are something. "They're dogs are brown" "They're running away" etc

Accept/Except
Accept = To accept something is to agree to it. Accept also means receiving something. "I accept your terms, and will accept your money."
Except = Usually denotes a counter to a rule. "I do such and such, except on Saturdays." "Everybody likes me, except Bob...Damn him." "Bob has no friends, except that sock puppet of his."

Affect/Effect
Now these two I often get wrong myself...Because I can't distinguish their meanings.
As far as I can tell. Affect is something that produces an Effect, and an Effect is an event.
Affect is based off the Latin "to do to"/"to act on", while Effect from the part participle (past tense version of a verb) of "to accomplish".

List you're own spelling and grammar grievances... And the proper meanings of Affect/Effect if you know them :wink:

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 4:50 pm

GalileoAce wrote:
List __you're__ own spelling and grammar grievances... And the proper meanings of Affect/Effect if you know them :wink:

Oh, you're teasing now... :-) This drives me nuts too. Another common one: it's = it is, its = possessive.

edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2006, 4:57 pm

Text talk is one of my bugbears. :)

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 5:19 pm

k96822 wrote:
Oh, you're teasing now... :-) This drives me nuts too. Another common one: it's = it is, its = possessive.

That's one of mine, just because it's so simple to learn but is so commonly misspelled. What I tell people (the ones who don't understand what possessive means) is that the only time it's spelled 'it's' is when you are writing 'it is'. Otherwise, it's 'its'.

I shouldn't be on this thread, though. I used to be fanatical about spelling and grammar but my typing is so bad and my eyes are no good so I make mistakes all the time now.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 6:58 pm

Oh yes! It's and Its!!

Though I can understand the confusion between the two. While It's is the abbreviation of It Is. Normally the 's suffix denotes ownership. So I can understand when people use It's as ownership...But still...

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 8:44 pm

Sorry.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 8:46 pm

The only bad mistake is the uncorrected one :wink: :)

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 8:57 pm

I screw up affect and effect in some instances but can usually should probably just go with what MSword "likes."

I would like to point out that I have a fantastic grasp of grammatical rules such as these and can spell really well (relative to peers).

I just can't TYPE for crap.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 9:01 pm

Quote:
is that the only time it's spelled 'it's' is when you are writing 'it is'. Otherwise, it's 'its'.

My favorite sentence of the day. Echolalia anybody?

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 9:04 pm

aylissa wrote:
Quote:
is that the only time it's spelled 'it's' is when you are writing 'it is'. Otherwise, it's 'its'.

My favorite sentence of the day. Echolalia anybody?

Hehe...It's almost a tongue twister :P

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2006, 10:53 pm

GalileoAce wrote:
(and yes the title's grammar error was intentional)

This isn't Random, nor is it Fun. But I'm getting annoyed at seeing Autistics (of all people) make a very basic grammatical error of using your when it should've been you're.

Like "Your out of date" or "OMG YOUR NOT!?"

Both should've been "You're out of date" and "OMG, YOU'RE NOT!?"

I know every Autistic is unique unto themselves, but I honestly expect more in the way of correct spelling and basic grammar from Autistics than I would non-Autistic.

Several other errors:

Your/You're
Your = Denotes that the subject is in ownership of something. "Your dog" "Your cat" etc
You're = Abbreviated from "You are" (also "You were"). Denotes that the subject is something. "You're a dog owner" "You're a cat owner" etc.

There/Their/They're
There = Denotes location. "It's over there" "I'm there." "You're there." etc
Their = Denotes group ownership. "Their cats." "Their dogs." "Their spelling errors were shocking." etc
They're = Abbreviated from "They are". Denotes that the subjects are something. "They're dogs are brown" "They're running away" etc

Accept/Except
Accept = To accept something is to agree to it. Accept also means receiving something. "I accept your terms, and will accept your money."
Except = Usually denotes a counter to a rule. "I do such and such, except on Saturdays." "Everybody likes me, except Bob...dam* him." "Bob has no friends, except that sock puppet of his."

Affect/Effect
Now these two I often get wrong myself...Because I can't distinguish their meanings.
As far as I can tell. Affect is something that produces an Effect, and an Effect is an event.
Affect is based off the Latin "to do to"/"to act on", while Effect from the part participle (past tense version of a verb) of "to accomplish".

List you're own spelling and grammar grievances... And the proper meanings of Affect/Effect if you know them :wink:

Will you marry me? I hate those sort of mistakes. I love when people point them out.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2006, 11:41 pm

GalileoAce, on behalf of the good people here at Wrong Planet, I bestow upon you this badge for your diligence in protecting the integrety of the English language.

:lol:

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2006, 11:53 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
GalileoAce, on behalf of the good people here at Wrong Planet, I bestow upon you this badge for your diligence in protecting the integrety of the English language.

I shall, indeed, uphold the integrity of the English Language. :D

That's a sweet badge, :: pins it on :: 8)

Who_Am_I wrote:
Will you marry me? I hate those sort of mistakes. I love when people point them out.

I'm already taken :wink: Thanks for the offer though

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 12:21 am

GalileoAce wrote:
I shall, indeed, uphold the integrity of the English Language.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2006, 2:52 am

Congratulations on the new badge, GalileoAce! Wear it proudly!

GalileoAce wrote:
List you're own spelling and grammar grievances... And the proper meanings of Affect/Effect if you know them

People who use "1" for "one", "2" for "to" and "4" for "for" annoy me because I think of these symbols only as numbers and not as the way they sound. For example they might write "1 2 1 4 elements," when they mean "one-to-one for elements." I find this "shorthand" difficult to read and I think the people who do it should type out the appropriate words to make their messages easier for their readers to comprehend.

This is an excerpt from:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/ ... lprob.html

Quote:
Affect and Effect

Meanings for the most common uses:

Affect

1. af•fect (transitive verb) [Middle English, from affectus, past participle of afficere]

to produce an effect upon, as a: to produce a material influence upon or alteration in <paralysis affected his limbs> b: to act upon (as a person or a person's mind or feelings) so as to bring about a response; influence

Effect

1. ef•fect (noun) [Middle English, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French, from Latin effectus, from efficere to bring about, from ex- out (of) + facere to make, do]

1a: purport; intent <the effect of their statement was to incite anger> b: basic meaning; essence <her argument had the effect of a plea for justice>
2: something that inevitably follows an antecedent (as a cause or agent) <environmental devastation is one effect of unchecked industrial expansion>
3: an outward sign; appearance <the makeup created the effect of old age on their faces>
4: accomplishment; fulfillment <the effect of years of hard work>
5: power to bring about a result; influence <the content itself of television is therefore less important than its effect>
6 plural: movable property; goods <personal effects>
7a: a distinctive impression <the color gives the effect of being warm> b: the creation of a desired impression <her tears were purely for effect> c (1): something designed to produce a distinctive or desired impression, usually used in plural (2) plural: special effects
8: the quality or state of being operative; operation <the law goes into effect next week>

in effect: in substance; virtually <the committee agreed to what was in effect a reduction in the hourly wage>
to the effect: with the meaning <issued a statement to the effect that he would resign>

Meanings for less common uses:

Affect

2. af•fect (transitive verb)

1: to make a display of liking or using; cultivate <affect a worldly manner>
2: to put on a pretense of; feign <affect indifference, though deeply hurt>

3. af•fect (noun) [pronunciation: stress on first syllable, unlike verb forms of this word]

the conscious subjective aspect of an emotion considered apart from bodily changes <he displayed a distressing lack of affect>

Effect

2. ef•fect (transitive verb)

1: to cause to come into being <the citizens were able to effect a change in government policy>
2a: to bring about often by surmounting obstacles; accomplish <effect a settlement of a dispute> b: to put into operation <the duty of the legislature to effect the will of the citizens>

Usage: The confusion of the verbs affect and effect not only is quite common but has a long history. The verb effect was used in place of affect (1, above) as early as 1494 and in place of affect (2, above) as early as 1652. If you think you want to use the verb effect but are not certain, check the definitions here. The noun affect is sometimes mistakenly used for the noun effect. Except when your topic is psychology, you will seldom need the noun affect.