greenturtle74’s Cartoon Guide to Asperger’s

Page 1 of 43 [ 681 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2009, 10:00 am

This is something I put together to disclose to my friends I have Asperger’s. I got a very good response to it! People said they learned a lot and it helped them understand where I’m coming from. So I decided I would share it here (edited to remove my real name). Enjoy!

Dude, I’m an Aspie!
Thoughts and illustrations on living with Asperger’s syndrome

My name is greenturtle74 and I have Asperger’s syndrome. What’s that mean, you ask? Well, you’re in luck, cause I’ve made this helpful guide!

Asperger’s is part of the autism spectrum. It has many characteristics, but generally we have difficulty knowing what someone is thinking, explaining our thoughts verbally, and interacting socially with our peers. It is sometimes described as having “a dash of autism.”

Asperger’s is not a disease, it is a genetic variation and a neurological condition. Though I’ve just recently discovered I have it, I always have and always will. Some say it is a gift, and even vital to human evolution.

Asperger’s is sometimes called Wrong Planet syndrome. This is because we feel like we come from a different culture and have a different way of perceiving the world – (Tony Attwood)

While Asperger’s can be diagnosed professionally, many adults like me are self-diagnosed. Once I learned what Asperger’s is, I knew it described me. It answered a lot of questions and explained why I am the way I am. So it was kind of good news! Like finding a box I fit in.

Now for some myths and facts: First, I will not look you in the eye for long periods or when I’m talking to you. This is not to be rude. It’s because it is the only way I can concentrate on what you’re saying.

In social situations, I don’t process information as fast as you. Facial expressions, gestures, and tone of voice all convey subtle information to our brain. The more people who are present, the more info there is to process.

Likewise, I don’t like crowds and noisy places. This is too much information to take in and causes sensory overload.

Sometimes we have super-senses. This makes us easily distractable to background noise, a sudden loud noise, or unpleasant odors.

If I run into you somewhere I don’t expect to, I probably won’t recognize you right away. This is called faceblindness. Even though I know what you look like, my mental picture of you is strongly tied to context, your voice, and how other people interact with you.

Sometimes I interpret things literally, or I can’t tell when you’re being sarcastic. This is a neurological delay in reading your tone of voice.

For neurotypical people (that’s you), socializing with others relieves your stress or makes you feel energized. We Aspies are the opposite way. Conversation can wear us out, and we often need alone time to “recharge our batteries.”

We usually have special topics or hobbies that we like to pursue with intense concentration and on our own. Examples include trains, foreign cultures, and washing machines.

Are there advantages to being as Aspie? Yes! We are honest, detail-oriented, good listeners, and have a unique view of things. Often, we achieve high levels of success in our special interest area.

So that is a glimpse into my world. I hope it has helped you better understand me and others like me. We are all different, and with all differences, knowledge brings understanding. If we understand each other, then there won't be any need for a right planet or a wrong planet. :)

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 10:20 am

It's pretty cool, well done.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 10:28 am

Yes, a very good job :thumright:

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:07 am

:D That's great.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 12:39 pm

amazing thank you for sharing. it was enlightening.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 12:54 pm

I liked it, rather much.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 1:41 pm

I loved it... and a great way to explain it to NTs.

Taking a break.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 1:44 pm

May I have permission to copy it? (With credit, of course!)

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 1:55 pm

Those are cute! :D

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 2:28 pm

That is really wonderful and I'm not surprised your friends find it very helpful. I hope you can somehow get it in broader circulation than just your friends. This has real potential for broader use in building bridges between AS and NT. :thumright:

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 2:49 pm

Greenturtle, this is awesome! I love it. I may share it with my sister. I've been trying to explain to her what AS is and why I think it fits me. Thanks so much for sharing it here.

pencapchew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2009, 3:15 pm

that's cool

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2009, 3:36 pm

Thanks everyone, I am so glad you like it! :D Anyone who wants to share with others, please do. If it helps NT's to understand us better, then I've accomplished my goal.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 3:45 pm

Wow, really cool greenturtle74 -- I hope you leave the images up so people can use this thread to explain to people they know, too!

JasonGone
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2009, 10:18 pm

that is awesome

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 12:54 am

If someone wants something more detailed and longer, I recommend watching and reading Welcome to the N.H.K.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_N.H.K.

EDIT:

Remember another drawn pamphlet that is easier to pay attention to (IMO)

scroll to 'original pamphlet' for another pamphle
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Spergin