Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 7:39 am

I'm beginning to be aware of what a stressor constant noise can be, and it doesn't have to be excessively loud either. I can get in the habit of having the TV on when I am home, even if I'm not paying attention. When I visit my mother, her house is always quiet and peaceful. I'm trying to have times when there is no more noise than the hum of the computer or the refrigerator or the heating system. My son always wants the TV on but I'm going to insist we have some blocks of time with no more noise than necessary. Do you think noise affects your stress level?

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 8:25 am

Yes, especially the commercials on TV. Ugh

Also, at work I really can't think when people are standing around talking, so I'm forced to listen to them. It's really aggravating.

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2009, 10:11 am

I don't mind a little bit of background noise, such as music playing quietly. But I don't like too many loud noises going on around me, especially when I am trying to concentrate.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2009, 10:44 am

Noise not only affects my stress level, it affects my functioning level. I absolutely cannot deal with background noise if I'm trying to think, talk, or listen. It's not really the volume of noise, but the number of different noises that's the problem. Work is sometimes difficult. If someone's on the phone and two people are having a conversation and there's music playing and someone walks by my cubicle and the printer's going and someone outside starts their car, it's just too much and my brain shuts down. If someone tries to talk to me, it's as if I can't even "hear" them. I mean, I can hear the words, but I can't attend to what they're saying.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 10:53 am

blastoff wrote:
Noise not only affects my stress level, it affects my functioning level. I absolutely cannot deal with background noise if I'm trying to think, talk, or listen. It's not really the volume of noise, but the number of different noises that's the problem. Work is sometimes difficult. If someone's on the phone and two people are having a conversation and there's music playing and someone walks by my cubicle and the printer's going and someone outside starts their car, it's just too much and my brain shuts down. If someone tries to talk to me, it's as if I can't even "hear" them. I mean, I can hear the words, but I can't attend to what they're saying.

Yes! I think that's where the stress comes from. Too much to process. I have nothing on now and although there's noise I can tune it out because it's a constant low hum. There's a story about experimental musician John Cage, that he wanted to experience a total absence of sound. So he went somewhere and was placed in a sound proof booth. He said after wards that he could hear a low pitched sound and a high pitched sound and they told him it was the sound his own body was making. Apparently the high pitched sound is your nervous system.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 10:59 am

When i'm trying to sleep with too much noise, then no, it would evetually start to get me frustrated... But I do not mind during the daytime but too much balloons popping, then no. Its too much for me to handle and the smoke alarm is just as bad. :(

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 3:52 pm

Yes, a constant noise in the background will eventually grate on my nerves and will more often than not undermine any calm that I might have been feeling.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 4:35 pm

It depends, if I am doing something that requires lots of thinking like doing math, it gets annoying.