Do you let things people say get to you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Laney2005
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2009, 12:43 am

For some reason it's always the bad things that I can't get out of my head. If only I could play a tape of the nice things people have said to me in the same manner I can play tapes of the bad things...

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 2:08 am

Yes. I don't hold it well, typicaly.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Nov 2009, 3:12 am

I use to let things bother me a lot more and I can get upset thinking back on situations I didn't like from years ago but I've gotten a lot better the last few years. I suppose not being overtly insulted like you would be in high school and before probably has a lot to do with it. When something actually does get to me though I won't let it go.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 4:00 am

No.

ElysianDream
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2009, 4:28 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I would hate being upset for the rest of my life over something some lady said to me in 2000 who was maybe having a bad day. Same as when my dad's cousin told me I was selfish and only think of my self when I was 15 and telling me as an adult I would be so much of a better person if I had better parents. She probably thinks AS is something that is caused by bad parenting and all we need is a good slab on our butts to be normal. My mom said only way to make her proud was if I didn't have it. I just ignored her than not wanting to be around her and problem solved between us. I also kept my mouth shut just to please her. Now I just don't care.

I find it a waste to be upset over what someone said to me or how my ex's treated me or thought of me.

Online, it's easier to not let things get to me vs in real life. But I also get over things in real life too just as long as I don't have to see their faces my feelings will stay away and not come back. I've had problems at work with other people because of it and always needed mommy to come to the rescue. Well those days are over. I can't keep having her to come rescue me when someone puts me to tears at work because of a misunderstanding or what that person said to me. But I have gotten better now over the years.

But sometimes I look forward to seeing that person so I can piss them off some more or hoping I will again soon on accident if he or she was mean to me.

Meaning to make her proud of herself, or proud of you, as if you were some kind of creation of hers, like a cake she baked. I find parents can be like that :? . Either way that sounds like a terrible thing for her to say :cry: .

I would say yes, even though I don't always show it I'm sensitive to what people say. If they are family and they really meaning, it sinks in. I think about it a lot and try to see if there's anything truth in it. But luckily I also forget pretty easily so this generally doesn't last a very long time.

30 Nov 2009, 6:13 am

ElysianDream wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
I would hate being upset for the rest of my life over something some lady said to me in 2000 who was maybe having a bad day. Same as when my dad's cousin told me I was selfish and only think of my self when I was 15 and telling me as an adult I would be so much of a better person if I had better parents. She probably thinks AS is something that is caused by bad parenting and all we need is a good slab on our butts to be normal. My mom said only way to make her proud was if I didn't have it. I just ignored her than not wanting to be around her and problem solved between us. I also kept my mouth shut just to please her. Now I just don't care.

I find it a waste to be upset over what someone said to me or how my ex's treated me or thought of me.

Online, it's easier to not let things get to me vs in real life. But I also get over things in real life too just as long as I don't have to see their faces my feelings will stay away and not come back. I've had problems at work with other people because of it and always needed mommy to come to the rescue. Well those days are over. I can't keep having her to come rescue me when someone puts me to tears at work because of a misunderstanding or what that person said to me. But I have gotten better now over the years.

But sometimes I look forward to seeing that person so I can piss them off some more or hoping I will again soon on accident if he or she was mean to me.

Meaning to make her proud of herself, or proud of you, as if you were some kind of creation of hers, like a cake she baked. I find parents can be like that :? . Either way that sounds like a terrible thing for her to say :cry: .

I would say yes, even though I don't always show it I'm sensitive to what people say. If they are family and they really meaning, it sinks in. I think about it a lot and try to see if there's anything truth in it. But luckily I also forget pretty easily so this generally doesn't last a very long time.

I meant make her proud of me and stop thinking I am selfish and rude. But then I stopped caring what she thinks of me. I realized she wasn't worth my time of energy to make her have the right point of view about me and my parents. She was just the kind of person who won't listen to your side of the story and when she thinks she's right, she sticks with it and won't let you correct her. She will refuse to listen to what you have to say. She acts like she knows everything and is psychic but she is just very judgmental and makes false assumptions and assumes she is right. My mom stopped speaking to her back in 2004 or 2005 because she insulted her about my dad and my mom hung up on her. Then she called her back and said "How dare you hang up on me" and my mom said she will hang up on anyone who insults her husband and she hung up again. She never called back.