Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AuntyCC
Raven
Raven

29 Nov 2009, 5:19 pm

Not quite sure where this topic belongs, but since learning about Aspergers syndrome I've thought that the characters in several books that I have read are almost certainly autistic even though no label of any kind is placed on them. The most obvious two that come to mind are:

"The Crow Road" by Ian Banks

and

"Mosquito Coast" - not sure of the author but it was made into a film of the same name.

As a child I used to enjoy books by a writer named Ruth Arthur, and several of her characters seemed to be autistic in varying degrees - one was clearly classically autistic, as in unable to speak. Others were more Aspergers like, for instance in the book "A candle in her room".

I thought it might be useful for people to compile a list of books and films with autistic or AS characters, both for adults and children.

If people want to discuss the individual films and books then I think it's best if they start separate thread for each one.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2009, 10:22 pm

WITHOUT a DOUBT, Norma Cenva from the Legends of Dune trilogy!

And I can't help thinking that Edward Scissorhands seems like some sort of metaphor for AS. Heard a rumor once that Tim Burton has it, so that isn't entirely implausible...

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 10:28 pm

Without a doubt, 600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster.

That was brilliant.

My review is here;
http://life-with-aspergers.blogspot.com/2009/11/book-review-600-hours-of-edward.html

hawk269
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Nov 2009, 6:24 pm

I'd say Bones and her assistant Zach both seem very AS, but in different ways.

My girlfriend (Tara Kelly) has a young adult novel coming out in May with a main character that's been diagnosed with a lot of different things, with the latest being AS. It's about her struggle to fit in at a new school, in a new town.

It's well written, but she got a lot of agents/editors made comments about the character not being extreme enough, or that she seems normal or it doesn't appear to be anything wrong with her. Another comment is the character seems too self aware. Tara set out to write about a character that doesn't show extreme signs...to show that there's another side to AS and the spectrum. More information can be found in the links in my signature.

Pre-order Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly at http://www.amazon.com/Harmonic-Feedback ... rakelly-20
or any other fine book seller.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 8:20 am

Believe it or not, there was a character in Philip K. Dick's The Transmigration of Timothy Archer who has AS. And schizophrenia.