Ten Things I Don't Get About NTs, Please Explain

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 8:09 pm

Regarding #2, I'm from Northern VA but I tell people I'm from DC. It's a common thing from where I'm from - if you tell people you're from Virginia they get the wrong idea and think of southern or western VA. So we say we're from DC.

ElysianDream
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2009, 10:10 pm

Because alot of 'NT's' connect in a very shallow, superficial way, or are simply too personal/emotion about the whole thing. They're not used to waiting for meaningful things like alot of AS people are, and I think sometimes they lack the patience with people.

Of course I'm sure this also happens in the autistic community to some extent.

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2009, 4:35 am

I know these have mostly been answered, but as someone who considers himself high-functioning AS, I'll give it a try. Hope my response helps.

1. As others have said, you probably have a native MN accent. There's no use getting angry if people ask, just smile and say "I live a few miles from the border of MN."

2. Mentioning the name of a more well-known town or city will give people a better spatial idea of where you're from, in the map they're projecting in their mind. Know what I mean? Not everyone knows where Brighton is, but most know where Denver is. I'm an offender - I lived in a tiny, 1800 person town that no one's heard of, and when people ask where I'm from, I give them the name of a larger city half an hour away.

3. Rounding the time makes it easier to use such expressions as "five to..," "quarter after..," half past...," etc, all of which take less effort and to say and process than the actual time. For example, if it's 11:22 and someone asks for the time, I'll always reply "20 after 11." In addition, no one wants to be seen as so uppity that they require the exact time - if an NT asks someone with AS the time, and the person with AS replies "it's 2:43 and 17 seconds," it may come off as disrespectful or mocking to the NT.

4. What they mean is that needy guys are a turnoff. Desperate guys are a turnoff. Guys who always talk about how they can't get girls are a turnoff. Each of those examples shows insecurities. A lady wants to know that a guy has it under control, and can brush off rejection and try again. Contrary to popular belief, very few ladies like "nice guys."

5. This simply means that you need to have confidence in yourself before you can inspire confidence from a woman. No confidence equals insecurity. See #4.

6. You're talking about apples and oranges here. Sure, bullying can be traumatic, but it's not at all on the same level as willingly taking another's life. In addition, bullying is something that occurs outside of teacher's vantage points, while a school shooting is impossible to keep under wraps as such. Please explain further what you mean by action and reaction in this context.

7. Certain fanaticisms are acceptable because they're shared by a relatively large percentage of NTs. Sports, music, and cars come to mind. Note that when an NT has a non-mainstream interest, such as making bottled ships, he or she tends not to advertise it. If you don't let your fanaticisms take over your life, they won't be so much as discussed, much less judged. As someone mentioned, the more people interested in it, the more acceptable it is. NTs have a certain pack mentality when it comes to fanaticisms - they want to seek out others who are interested in the same thing in order to feel like a part of a group. Have you ever seen a lone tailgater? Me neither.

8. Don't ask what "it" is. The NT expected you to react in a certain socially acceptable way to whatever situation was presented - you did not, so the NT is already upset with you, and this is propagated by your prodding. In the context, "it" is merely a transitory term, and the phrase "you don't get it" is another way of rhetorically asking "why are you so different?" Just like us, NTs get upset when they encounter someone different than themselves. It's best not to ask for explanations - simply analyze your mistake and learn from it, so you know how to react in the future in such a way that will please an NT.

9. When you sit down at a pool, what's the first thing you take off, whether or not you intend to go swimming? Right, your socks and shoes. In addition, it's an old cultural custom - if you're barefoot, you're ready to swim; if you're not, you're half-assing it or were pushed into the lake. Also, NTs realize that wet clothes aren't all that bad, but wet socks and shoes are terribly uncomfortable. Next time you go swimming, do it barefoot and you'll see what I mean.

10. The concept of "cool" is such a deep concept I won't go into it. Some consider cool to be what the market and media push, some consider it to be what the market and media don't push. As a music nerd myself, all I can say is to listen to what you want to listen to.

You seem to take everything very, very literally - and it's ok, that's what folks with AS do. One thing that helped me to get rid of that habit was realizing that 90% of everything an NT says or does has a hidden connotation to it. Don't take everything you see or hear at face value, always replay it in your mind, looking for that implicit meaning.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 5:21 am

Kevin_I wrote:
I've compiled a list of things I don't get about normal people. Maybe someone can explain them in a language I can understand.

1. I'm from South Dakota. When I travel, people ask me if I'm from Minnesota. This is annoying, because I'm not from Minnesota, I'm from South Dakota. Even though I live 15 1/2 miles from the Minnesota boundary, I get asked if I'm from Minnesota. Why? It annoys me.

2. When people tell other people where they're from, how large does the municipality need to be before people will admit to being from it? My family lives in Clear Lake, SD. They tell everyone else they're from Watertown, SD. They're not from Watertown, they're from Clear Lake. I have cousins from Colorado that do the same thing. They live in Brighton, CO, but they tell everyone they're from Denver. They're not from Denver, they're from Brighton! When I ask them about it, they get annoyed.

3. When NTs ask what time it is, why do they get bent out of shape if the current time doesn't end in 0 or 5? If it's 11:57, why do I need to tell them it's 11:55 or 12:00? It's easier to read my watch instead of thinking "OK, It's 11:57, that's 2 minutes away from 11:55 but 3 minutes away from 12:00, so I'll have to tell this person it's 11:55." That's a lot of work!

4. On the issue of dating. NT advice: "If you need a girlfriend, that's a turn off to women." This makes zero sense! If we didn't need women, we would never ask them on a date. If we didn't need women, nobody would ever get married because nobody ever asked anyone on a date. The species wouldn't propagate. We wouldn't be having this discussion.

5. More NT dating advice that makes zero sense: "You need to be happy being single before you can be happy with someone else." This is circular logic. Observe the circular logic, "Why are you unhappy", "I don't have a girlfriend.", "Why don't you have a girlfriend?", "Because I'm unhappy.", "Why are you unhappy?", "Because I don't have a girlfriend.", "Why don't you have a girlfriend?", "Because I'm unhappy.", "Why are you unhappy?", "Because I don't have a girlfriend." This could go on forever.

6. In the NT world, why is the action acceptable but the reaction unacceptable? I'm talking about bullies vs. school shooters. If the school shooter didn't kill himself, he would most likely spend life in prison. If it's against the law to shoot people at school, then why isn't the cause "bullying" also illegal?

7. Why are certain fanaticisms acceptable but others aren't? My brother is far more fanatic about sports than I am of my own interests, but somehow my interests are odd. The difference is, when he watches the game on TV, he screams as loud as he possibly can. I don't know what this is supposed to accomplish. Somehow, my brother screaming in front of a TV that's 188 miles away from the stadium will help his team win? This doesn't make sense, because I don't scream "woo-hoo" as loud as I can while pursuing my own interests.

8. People who say "You don't get it." They can tell me I don't get it, but they always get upset when I ask them to define the "it". If they can tell me I don't get it, then they should be able to define the "it" that I don't get, but they can't.

9. I admit, I'm ashamed to ask this one, but I'm going to ask it anyway. When NTs go to the lake, and they want to go swimming, but they didn't bring a swimsuit, why do they take their socks off but leave everything else on? If you're going to jump in the lake fully clothed, why is it so important to remove one's socks? I get screamed at for frequent violations of this NT rule, yet no one can explain the logic to me.

10. What makes some music cool, and other music uncool? I do understand that, if it's on my iPod, it's not cool music. My brother told me I listen to women's music. How does one know if it's men's music or women's music? I've asked NTs this before, and I'll ask them again, where is there a category for gender in the mp3 tags? I don't see it!

The people I chat with on on-line chat sessions refer to themselves as "cheesepodders". They download and listen to music they say is uncool, and they're proud of it! One of the people I chat with on-line proudly proclaims "I can out-cheese anybody, any day." They're all NTs, and they told me nobody ever criticizes their taste in music. Why do they get to listen to anything they please, not get criticized, and I don't??

Ok.

In answer to questions 1 and 2, this may just be an American thing. Most Americans can't find Washington (DC or the State) on their own map.

In answer to the rest.............

Perhaps you could try getting a hobby, getting some regular exercise/massage or perhaps just an extra beer or two at night.

:nemo:

Oisin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2009, 7:20 am

Hi Kevin,

I am going to answer q 7 Why do people shout for their team when they are on TV? This is called mass hysteria. When someone grows up in a family where there are fans of a particular sports club they spoon feed the child with all that is connected with the team. They go out to see games and watch their team on TV. And so the child copies the parent.

All people have the tendency to belong, you too otherwise you wouldn't be part of this site.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 8:26 am

Sati wrote:
Regarding #2, I'm from Northern VA but I tell people I'm from DC. It's a common thing from where I'm from - if you tell people you're from Virginia they get the wrong idea and think of southern or western VA. So we say we're from DC.

:lol:

Those of us in southern and western VA don't consider the people in northern VA to really be Virginians.

:wink:

Kevin_I
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2009, 2:48 am

I've read all the answers, and I understand about 80% of them. I still don't understand women, but I can find a way around that.

With regard to my first question, I asked my mom if I had an accent, and she replied with "Who told you that?" I asked my dad, and he said people from Minnesota, northeastern South Dakota, and eastern North Dakota have a North Midlands accent, but my dad said he doesn't know what we sound like to everybody else, and neither do I. I wonder why no one ever told me this before. I'm always the last to know everything, even things about myself.

My dad had a long talk with me this week. He told me that my brother, who criticizes everything I do, isn't as normal as I believe, and that I shouldn't even listen to him. That's easier said than done, because I take everything personally. I don't know how not to. I might not see much more of my brother, because my dad kicked him out of the house last week and he told him to either get a job or go to college.

I'm 22 and live in my own house, but my brother is 28, lives with my mom, my dad, and my 16 year old sister, and he doesn't have a job. He also walks around their house in his high school football jersey and his boxer shorts. I really don't know why I get so upset at anything this person says, but I do. It seems like I always have the lower hand.

Humphrie4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2009, 7:20 am

Kevin_I wrote:
I've compiled a list of things I don't get about normal people. Maybe someone can explain them in a language I can understand.

1. I'm from South Dakota. When I travel, people ask me if I'm from Minnesota. This is annoying, because I'm not from Minnesota, I'm from South Dakota. Even though I live 15 1/2 miles from the Minnesota boundary, I get asked if I'm from Minnesota. Why? It annoys me.

It is probably because your accent is similar to that of someone from Minnesota because you live near there. People are only trying to make conversation.

2. When people tell other people where they're from, how large does the municipality need to be before people will admit to being from it? My family lives in Clear Lake, SD. They tell everyone else they're from Watertown, SD. They're not from Watertown, they're from Clear Lake. I have cousins from Colorado that do the same thing. They live in Brighton, CO, but they tell everyone they're from Denver. They're not from Denver, they're from Brighton! When I ask them about it, they get annoyed.

They probably say they come from somewhere closeby that everyone has heard of rather than say they come from somewhere no-one has heard of.

3. When NTs ask what time it is, why do they get bent out of shape if the current time doesn't end in 0 or 5? If it's 11:57, why do I need to tell them it's 11:55 or 12:00? It's easier to read my watch instead of thinking "OK, It's 11:57, that's 2 minutes away from 11:55 but 3 minutes away from 12:00, so I'll have to tell this person it's 11:55." That's a lot of work!

...err dunno. Maybe they're cool with you saying it's 11.57 (assuming its a digital watch/mobile phone and reading straight off it) but otherwise if you are insistent on being being accurate to a T then they probably think you are being pedantic/peculiar.

4. On the issue of dating. NT advice: "If you need a girlfriend, that's a turn off to women." This makes zero sense! If we didn't need women, we would never ask them on a date. If we didn't need women, nobody would ever get married because nobody ever asked anyone on a date. The species wouldn't propagate. We wouldn't be having this discussion.

To be honest I've not heard of this one. Perhaps the exact advice was if you appear too needy, that is a turn off to women?

5. More NT dating advice that makes zero sense: "You need to be happy being single before you can be happy with someone else." This is circular logic. Observe the circular logic, "Why are you unhappy", "I don't have a girlfriend.", "Why don't you have a girlfriend?", "Because I'm unhappy.", "Why are you unhappy?", "Because I don't have a girlfriend.", "Why don't you have a girlfriend?", "Because I'm unhappy.", "Why are you unhappy?", "Because I don't have a girlfriend." This could go on forever.

You've probably just read some stupid dating advice

6. In the NT world, why is the action acceptable but the reaction unacceptable? I'm talking about bullies vs. school shooters. If the school shooter didn't kill himself, he would most likely spend life in prison. If it's against the law to shoot people at school, then why isn't the cause "bullying" also illegal?

Well some might consider mass murder of hundreds of people (including those who had nothing to do with the bullying in the first place) a little more extreme than playground bullying. Anyway I believe bullying is technically speaking illegal if it is quite serious and the victim decides to press charges. It depends on the graveness of the initial action compared with that of the reaction.

7. Why are certain fanaticisms acceptable but others aren't? My brother is far more fanatic about sports than I am of my own interests, but somehow my interests are odd. The difference is, when he watches the game on TV, he screams as loud as he possibly can. I don't know what this is supposed to accomplish. Somehow, my brother screaming in front of a TV that's 188 miles away from the stadium will help his team win? This doesn't make sense, because I don't scream "woo-hoo" as loud as I can while pursuing my own interests.

Your brother is probably just caught up in the excitement of the game and having fun getting all agitated and cheering. Different people express their emotions differently. You yourself might give a sigh of relief if there was an asteroid approaching earth which missed closely (ok a little more extreme but I am outlining how the importance of the event will effect the immensity of your reactions. Your brother is very passionat about sports, therefore reacts passionately. It doesn't mean he hopes it will help the game win.)

8. People who say "You don't get it." They can tell me I don't get it, but they always get upset when I ask them to define the "it". If they can tell me I don't get it, then they should be able to define the "it" that I don't get, but they can't.

Sometimes 'you don't get it' is a hint for you to back. I have actually said this to people who are not aspergic and they ask me to define the 'it' and then get frustrated when I say it is to complicated to explain, so it is not just one way for NTs and another way for aspies.

9. I admit, I'm ashamed to ask this one, but I'm going to ask it anyway. When NTs go to the lake, and they want to go swimming, but they didn't bring a swimsuit, why do they take their socks off but leave everything else on? If you're going to jump in the lake fully clothed, why is it so important to remove one's socks? I get screamed at for frequent violations of this NT rule, yet no one can explain the logic to me.

Errm...it seems odd that you would get screamed at for not removing your socks but people might want to remove their socks because it is more uncomfortable to walk in wet socks than to walk in wet clothes? Actually the entire scenario seems a little strange if I'm honest.

10. What makes some music cool, and other music uncool? I do understand that, if it's on my iPod, it's not cool music. My brother told me I listen to women's music. How does one know if it's men's music or women's music? I've asked NTs this before, and I'll ask them again, where is there a category for gender in the mp3 tags? I don't see it!

The people I chat with on on-line chat sessions refer to themselves as "cheesepodders". They download and listen to music they say is uncool, and they're proud of it! One of the people I chat with on-line proudly proclaims "I can out-cheese anybody, any day." They're all NTs, and they told me nobody ever criticizes their taste in music. Why do they get to listen to anything they please, not get criticized, and I don't??

Cool music is the type of music that is in fashion/popular ... do you listen to a lot of classical music? As for men/women's music it depends on the emotional expression of the vocals (both musically and in terms of the meaning of the lyrics) and the harshness/darkness of the music (as opposed to lightness). One may consider male music to have a style of singing that aren't so emotionally expressive, speaking musically as opposed to the meaning of the words. For intance one end of the spectrum would be rap (which, does not sing a melody, rather vocals are spoken and voices can often be gruff, deep booming, quickly spoken ... 'male') and the other end would be Mariah Carey, really cheesing it up down the microphone (singing an actual melody as well)... 'female'. Male music may be in a minor key (sounds harsh/dark) and female may sound brighter and happier (major key). There is no written category for gender the signs are in the style of music.

Perhaps the cheese prodders cleverly avoid criticism using their NT wits? In all seriousness, people who are criticising you aren't necessarily criticising you, perhaps they are teasing you, meaning they say something mean, but what the true meaning of their words are is 'I like you'. Perhaps your cheese prodder friends aren't as likeable or popular as you?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 9:33 am

Celtic_Frost wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
As a response to #10, music is a very personal thing. Not everybody's going to like the same types of music. Your brother could be more diplimatic about your musical tastes, instead of being shallow about it. I think that what's cool as far as music is concerned, depends on who's listening to a particular type of music. I love the music and the fashions of the Mid 60s. My sister prefers today's fashions and Top 40. Who's right and who's wrong? Nobody's right and nobody's wrong. We are just completly different people, and we compliment each other in that respect.

Not for everyone. I believe a lot of young people listen to certain types of music because they are impressionable of the media and their friends of what is "hot" or "in". I mean, why else do we have idiots listening to pop "artists" with no talent like Jonas Brothers or Lil Wayne?

You bring forward, a very good point. There seems to be a lot of young sheep around.