Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

JennieRichee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2004, 12:00 am

I wrote-
Oh yeah, and Dorothy L. Sayers. (Detective author) :)

echospectra wrote:
(And playwright. And christian apologist. And translator.) Why exactly? I totally love her, the eloquent zest with which she attacks bad English and bad thinking... But the fact I like her so much doesn't make me go, "Oh, she must have had Asperger's then, since she has all these traits I relate to."

Ah, no good reason really, just the same spirit of wild speculation that has added so many other names to The List. My gay friends have a great time speculating about which celebrities might be gay... It's fun, but yes, it's probably exactly the type of sloppy thinking that D. L. Sayers would have disapproved of.

Glenn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2004, 4:04 am

Quote:
Jacko has AS?

I don't know. I'd like to point out that the "famous names" I quoted in my original message, when I started this thread, were gathered from articles I read on the Internet. Google is a wonderful thing ! :-) With one exception, I do not know personally if they had AS.
The exception of course is Glenn Gould;I do know a fair bit about him, and there are many reasons to suppose he did have AS. (I once wrote an essay on the subject for some friends , who also admire him....it ran to some seven-and-a-half thousand words!! !) ...But as for the others, I can only speculate. For instance, I have never read anything that would make me think Michael Jackson had AS, although I think ....ahem ....he is somewhat weird! (British understatement, there.) Michael Palin? Surely not. OK, when he was younger, he and other members of the Monty Python team made some pretty surreal comedy, but the popularity of the extended travelogues he has made more recently for BBC TV seems based on the feeling that he is a very likeable, average guy who finds himself in some fairly extraordinary situations! ( I am not suggesting that ASpies aree not likeable or anything else, but they are sometimes percieved by the NT as being "outsiders," etc.
Einstein? Possible. Newton? Surely far too long ago to have real evidence one way or another, although he does seem to have been obsessive, jealously secretive, and have difficulty getting on with other savants of his time. This of course does not indicate AS. Mozart? Well, he seems to have had some odd traits, although I have also read articles (and seen a recent TV documentary) that suggest he had Tourettes syndrome. I understand however that other experts dispute this 'diagnosis'. Ah well, everyone has his own opinion!

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2004, 8:44 am

Glenn wrote:
Mozart? Well, he seems to have had some odd traits, although I have also read articles (and seen a recent TV documentary) that suggest he had Tourettes syndrome. I understand however that other experts dispute this 'diagnosis'.

Mozart is the typical problem case for the diagnosis game; the autistics have claimed him, the Touretters have claimed him, the ADHDers have claimed him, and I don't know who else. There are scores of other people that autistics, ADDers and dyslexics want to "have" - Einstein is an example. And then there's the people autistics and OCDers are fighting over. Which all makes sense, of course, considering how much all these conditions overlap. It might be more useful to see them as falling on a broad "autistic/dyslexic/ADD/Tourette/OCD spectrum" - harder for people to disprove it :wink:.

A pretty definite case for a retrospective diagnosis of Tourette's can be made for Samuel Johnson.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 2:47 am

I think Arnold Swartznegger is an obvious aspie and cant believe he seems to be have missed thus far. He has a stiff gait, lacks emotional expressions, has a monotonous voice, has strong political beliefs and lacks flexibility with this. His touching up of women who came into contact with him and his later explanation that it was just a little fun for him shows a naivete and lack of knowledge and instinct of social norms.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 7:44 am

:roll:

I think I have done my job here.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 10:37 am

echospectra wrote:
It might be more useful to see them as falling on a broad "autistic/dyslexic/ADD/Tourette/OCD spectrum" - harder for people to disprove it :wink:.

If I ever become famous, I'll be sure to inform people that I have all of those...except Dyslexia, although I do tend to switch two or three letters when typing and writing.

Maichael Jckson isn't Autistic, maybe PTSD. I've heard a lot about his childhood, and can understand why he is the way he is now. He's in his own little fantasy world, still in denial of the reality around him. Warping every event in his own childish way so it doesn't make him look into a mirror and want to change himself for the better. I don't know what that sounds like, but it doesn't sould like AS.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 7:36 pm

eamonn wrote:
I think Arnold Swartznegger is an obvious aspie and cant believe he seems to be have missed thus far. He has a stiff gait, lacks emotional expressions, has a monotonous voice, has strong political beliefs and lacks flexibility with this.

No.... It just means he's GERMAN. :lol:

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 8:42 pm

Fogman wrote:

Funnily enough i have found this common with people from that part of the world too. Isnt Arnie Austrian though. I realise he's an American citizen before somebody adds that in.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 9:06 pm

eamonn wrote:
Fogman wrote:

Funnily enough i have found this common with people from that part of the world too. Isnt Arnie Austrian though. I realise he's an American citizen before somebody adds that in.

By country and birth, yes, he's from Austria. However, Austria is culturally and linguistically German. Therefore my saying that he's German referrs to the cultural and linguistic traits of his native country, not the political boundaries that define the location of said country in relation to the country of Germany.

In German, Austria is called 'Österreich', or translated directly to English, 'Eastern Kingdom', or "Eastern Empire'.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 9:25 pm

I take it you know not to call an Austrian person 'German' to their face and expect a pleasant response? Seeing as im not either i will let you off though. :wink:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 10:28 pm

eamonn wrote:
I take it you know not to call an Austrian person 'German' to their face and expect a pleasant response? Seeing as im not either i will let you off though. :wink:

Yeah, It goes over as well as calling an Alsatian 'French', or to some calling a Canadian, 'American'. -Or more directly, referring to citizens of Scotland and Wales as 'English'.

BTW... seeing as how you're from Glasgow, I was wondering if you could shed some light on something that I've wondered about since I started avidly reading the works of Irvine Welsh about 5 years ago.

As you probably know, most of his novels are set in Edinburgh. Many of of his characters refer to Glasgow as 'Soapsville', and more specifically refer to Gleswegians as either 'Weedgies' or 'Soapdodgers'.

That 'Weedgie' is a vernacular corruption of 'Gleswegian' is obvious, I am also familiar with the fact that 'Soapdodger' is UK vernacular for somebody who refuses to bathe. (For non UK residents Literally "Dodging Soap") However, I am mystified as to how Gleswegians are disparagingly called Soapdodgers. --Can you spare any info on this?

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 11:49 pm

Ha, that's jist thi gadgies huvin a dig at us and makin oot wer a black-necks. Bit of a piss-take considerin thurs nothin in Edinburgh apart from the castle, tourists visitin the castle and junkie beggars oot oan the street.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 5:08 am

Many people claim that Steven Spielberg has AS, personally I am not sure if he has AS judging by his behaviour. However I know little about Spielberg's personality, expect I heard that Spielberg does not drink or take drugs (very unsually in the entertainment industry which drug and alcohol abuse are at amazing levels). I would like to get contributions on this please.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 10:36 am

newchum wrote:
Many people claim that Steven Spielberg has AS, personally I am not sure if he has AS judging by his behaviour. However I know little about Spielberg's personality, expect I heard that Spielberg does not drink or take drugs (very unsually in the entertainment industry which drug and alcohol abuse are at amazing levels). I would like to get contributions on this please.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/bio

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2005, 1:04 am

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
newchum wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/bio

I have read that, I also read a biography of Steven Spielberg that talks about him having AS and his work reflecting that, especially the comedy film Continental Divide (which was originally to be directed by him).

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2005, 4:10 am

I have only realized recent a large number of the greatest geniuses in history had psychological profiles that could fit the diagnosis of AS or HFA. Maybe unlike NT’s people with Autistic spectrum disorders are less likely to be burden by things like socializing and more on specific thing.