Who doesnt feel good during/after axercising?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 8:44 am

Hello, Ive been wrestling with this question and Ive always had an issue with exercising in general. Its never felt good to me . . . dunno if its a sensory issue. Ive never gotten the "runner's high," nor have i felt better afterwords. To me, pain is pain, there is no gain. Anyone else with this issue?

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 9:29 am

Me too! At several points in my life I've had yet another go at a fitness drive. Whatever the outcome, I never feel the 'endorphin rush' or whatever it is they say you feel.

I've also found it very difficult to gain muscle. I've done several martial arts (each one fanatically at the time, in typical AS style), although body coordination did improve about 300%, my 'shape' didn't really change. Then spent a couple of years working outdoors doing mostly physical work, lost weight, got a good tan, became healthy, but still no muscle....

Several attempts at the gym. All failed as the pain involved extreme nausea and extreme humiliation at high cost. This would all be bearable if there had been a gain, but it was as you say, all pain no gain. My experiences at the gym have turned me into an acute gym-phobic. I'd rather have a root canal filling than ever set foot in one again.

Eventually began to realise there is something different about me....then found about AS and assumed that may explain it. I'm the AS type who was clumsy and uncoordinated, especially as a child.

Oddly enough though, I recently got a book "Solitary Fitness" written by a brilliant but crazy guy who has worked out an exercise regime from spending most of his life in solitary confinement. Figured that AS is sometimes like soiltary confinement, so gave it a go. And to my total amazement, within a few days, muscles did start to appear for the first time in my life! Unfortunately, I got too fanatical about it and badly provoked an old back problem (originally caused by an attempt to get fit playing tennis ironically...). The book is cheap and well worth a try for other gym-phobic aspies.

For NT's maybe exercise is a social activity. They love to do it in public. For me and maybe other Aspies, perhaps the anxiety of being in public somehow cancels the beneficial effect of the exercise? Mysterious...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 9:46 am

I feel the same way. I avoid health clubs at all costs. After a strenuious workout, I feel as though I've been hit in my gut, with a medicine ball, 20 times. If I were to go to a gym, I'd end up having flashbacks of medicine balls hitting that most sensitive part of my body, from way back. I've told you that story. I just can't do that, so I do a lot of walking, instead.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 10:22 am

I usually feel good after running 3-4 miles on the treadmill although I'm a little tired. I dislike being sore after lifting weights, but there is a hot spa at my house which gets rid of it and makes me feel good. :)

Hillsong_Rocks
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Dec 2009, 5:04 pm

me and my aspie gf both find it amazing. at the mo my gf does more walking than anything else but she does surf with me. i onli gave up rugby cos i travel alot.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2009, 4:54 am

PlatedDrake wrote:
Hello, Ive been wrestling with this question and Ive always had an issue with exercising in general. Its never felt good to me . . . dunno if its a sensory issue. Ive never gotten the "runner's high," nor have i felt better afterwords. To me, pain is pain, there is no gain. Anyone else with this issue?

Depends how you look at it. In order for any exercise to be beneficial, it has to be strenuous. That is, if you are doing cardio, you have to feel exhausted near and at the end. If you are doing weights, your muscles actually have to hurt. When I leave the gym (about five times a week), I am usually exhausted and a general physical wreck. BUT the gains are there long term. I am getting fitter, I am losing fat and I am building up muscle. Seeing the results of a strenuous exercise program will only motivate you to try harder.

eb31
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2010, 10:44 pm

I don't. I also didn't get the oxytocin effect that should come from nursing.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2010, 2:19 am

Venger wrote:
I dislike being sore after lifting weights, but there is a hot spa at my house which gets rid of it and makes me feel good. :)

Lucky you having a spa at home! I agree that being sore after weights is a pain (no pun intended). With me, it is usually the next day.