Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 3:44 pm

My parents have agreed to pay for the ASD diagnosis, so my GP is going to get me a referral. When I saw her last she said 'You will have had your assessment before you see me again', and I should be seeing her in January (I think) to get a re-fill of my tablets.
I was just wondering how long I would expect to wait for a referral, and what happens once I get there.
I am an adult living in the UK if that helps.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 3:49 pm

I had to wait only a few weeks for my initial appointment, but waiting lists for full assessment are usually a few months.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 3:53 pm

If your parents are paying for it, then I think they should be given a date and also information about what the assessment will involve.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2009, 3:54 pm

Ask the place doing the assessment if they got the referral yet. If they didn't give it yet, call your doctor and ask if they sent it yet.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:10 am

My doctor is very slow so it took her at least two weeks to send in the referral. There's still some paperwork that she needs to finish before I get my first appointment, and she still has not sent it in. I'm afraid she hasn't even started filling it out, and hopefully will find out tomorrow.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 6:32 am

I can't ring the place, as when I last spoke to her she wasn't sure where I would be referred to. I assume she had to find the place first, but her comments make me hopeful that it will be fairly speedy.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Dec 2009, 7:35 am

For my son, we simply called his pediatrician and it was only a few days until the child psychiatrist set us up with an appointment. It seems like we only had to wait two months after the referral for his actual appointment.

For me, since I was an adult (I was diagnosed 9 months before my son---we were both diagnosed with AS) I didn't get a referral. I didn't use insurance for me, but we did use insurance for our son. My appointment was less than a month after I called.