Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

corruptedsmile
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2009, 2:50 am

anyone else get annoyed by common sayings? I just hate it when people say good morning to me. my teachers say it every day and i see it as two things, one is that they are lying or two they are pointing out that its a good morning that I will not experience. I know they don't mean that but it still bugs the crap out of me.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 4:16 am

It's just a common social politeness. They're just wishing you a good morning, as in "I hope you have a ..." No, it may not be totally sincere, but it's no less harmful than being wished a Merry Christmas. There are more important (and deserving) things in life to get bent about.

It's certainly better than having them say "F**K YOU - what aren't you looking at?" :roll:

04 Dec 2009, 4:51 am

It's that small talk nonsense. I don't know why people say it. I sure don't. I don't see the point in it.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 6:19 am

I'm with Willard on this one. It's just a way of acknowledging your presence in a friendly manner. It's just social lubrication. It's a way people connect as a lead in to further conversation often.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 8:16 am

I just say Oi, whats up mate? or
Greetings, or with close friends
and family "Pick a big green one!"

If close friends or family call
I have been known to answer
the phone with "Diarrhoea!!"
if I'm in a good mood.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Eto
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2009, 2:26 pm

I admittedly get annoyed by common phrases/small talk initiators sometimes. << It can drive me crazy. A friendly of mine asks me how my day has been every day at about 7AM, when I've only been awake for an hour and only just got at school. Sometimes I want to go hide so he doesn't ask me, because nothing's happened yet that early in the morning, for pete's sake. 8O I'm always relieved when he doesn't show up for whatever reason because then I don't have to bother answering. <<

Velonz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2009, 6:34 pm

I am very annoyed by things like this too! There are way too many things people do because they are "socially polite/acceptable" that make no sense at all. Things like "good morning" have no meaning anymore. The people who tell you that aren't really thinking about you and hoping that you will have a good morning.

PikaYoshi
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2009, 7:19 pm

Common sayings only annoy me because I don't know how to appropriately answer them.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 8:56 pm

PikaYoshi wrote:
Common sayings only annoy me because I don't know how to appropriately answer them.

Good Morning.
appropriate response:
good morning

How are you?
appropriate response:
fine

What's up?
appropriate response:
not much

I'm teasing but come on, does everything someone says have to mean something momentous? It's social lubrication. No more and no less. It may seem pointless but it's so easy to deal with it's not worth worrying about. They don't expect anymore than the above responses.

PikaYoshi
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2009, 9:16 pm

Aimless wrote:
PikaYoshi wrote:

How are you?
appropriate response:
fine

But what if I'm not?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 9:30 pm

PikaYoshi wrote:
Aimless wrote:
PikaYoshi wrote:

How are you?
appropriate response:
fine

But what if I'm not?

Then it depends on whether you want to talk about it or not. If you don't say fine.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 12:07 am

Aimless wrote:

What's up?
appropriate response:
not much

Haha, I remember in grade 6 (i think?) when I would respond "Good."

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 7:51 am

jc6chan wrote:
Aimless wrote:

What's up?
appropriate response:
not much

lol-I do have problems with this, but not in the same way.I had a boss who always said "What's the good word?" as a way of greeting. How do you answer that? Invariably I would find myself trying to think of a good word. Lachrymose? flense? maladroit?

SierraBell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2009, 12:03 pm

When I was younger I had trouble and I was annoyed with these common social gestures. It usually because I was in a bad mood, like if I was hurt or something and someone would ask, "Are you okay?" I would get annoyed because I would think..."Do I LOOK okay??? Like you had to ask???" :roll:

Now I really don't care about them, I just try to remain civil with people that say things like that, despite my mood.

I guess how I did this was growing out of that, having some more confidence in myself and realizing that not everyone is listening to everything I think or say. :)

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 12:59 pm

Aimless wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
Aimless wrote:

What's up?
appropriate response:
not much

lol-I do have problems with this, but not in the same way.I had a boss who always said "What's the good word?" as a way of greeting. How do you answer that? Invariably I would find myself trying to think of a good word. Lachrymose? flense? maladroit?

Well, someone told me to say "nothing" so I just said that from then on. Somehow no one said "Whats up" to me in grade 5 and so it was just something I learned.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 1:09 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHhYLJMi7CE[/youtube]