Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 9:59 am

Goren wrote:
That's why I'm asking. I know there're some differences between MATLAB and Octave, so for some obscure tasks Octave may not be an option, but most of the time they are interchangeable. It always saddens me when people are forced to use non-FOSS in science, in my opinion it undermines the ethical implications of science as such.

From what I am told, Scilab, Octave, and FreeMat are all only partial clones of MATLAB. They lack some of its features and power, and some things are deliberately done differently (meaning they will never be drop-in replacements for MATLAB). I'm taking a course in mathematical modeling next semester where the instructor uses Scilab, so I'll probably try learning that one. He is quite open about the fact that Scilab is in several ways worse than MATLAB, but as he said, it gets the job done.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 10:21 am

jEdit everywhere and for everything, I love that it is very customizable without going completely over the top like vim or emacs.

I can't stand the idea of using tools that are not cross platform or open source for such a basic and fundamental part of my life...

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 11:40 am

Orwell wrote:
Goren wrote:
That's why I'm asking. I know there're some differences between MATLAB and Octave, so for some obscure tasks Octave may not be an option, but most of the time they are interchangeable. It always saddens me when people are forced to use non-FOSS in science, in my opinion it undermines the ethical implications of science as such.
From what I am told, Scilab, Octave, and FreeMat are all only partial clones of MATLAB. They lack some of its features and power, and some things are deliberately done differently (meaning they will never be drop-in replacements for MATLAB). I'm taking a course in mathematical modeling next semester where the instructor uses Scilab, so I'll probably try learning that one. He is quite open about the fact that Scilab is in several ways worse than MATLAB, but as he said, it gets the job done.
NOTHING BEATS MATLAB! :D

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 2:12 pm

Scientist wrote:

Octave and Scilab are definitely better values.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 4:58 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I just use VS2008 and occasionally notepad nowadays. Has anyone trying using VS2008 for html? It is a pain in the rear. Because my locale is British it insists on wrapping every little bit of text or edit with <span lang="en-gb">text</span> which makes the design window unusable for entering text, so all text entry / changes have to be done in the source view window. Even a single letter spelling correction in the middle of a word triggers it to wrap that silly span tag around the letter.

Tally seriously don't use VS for html, you might as well be using FrontPage with windows 95. Use a good text editor. SciTe does what you want. The design is simple like notepad, but it is easily configurable and extendable.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 5:33 pm

Orwell wrote:
Scientist wrote:
I'm just being very happy about MATLAB ;)

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Goren
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2009, 2:04 pm

Orwell wrote:
Scientist wrote:

INFINITELY better :P

Jpeg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2009, 3:53 pm

I use Netbeans and Dev-C++. I also have used Notepad++ for php but am probably going to change to Netbeans for that as I finally added the php functionality last night.

I have also used LabVIEW for FIRST robotics but am trying to avoid having to use that again.

Velonz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2009, 11:58 pm

Vim is the only true way. :D

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2009, 6:28 am

Used netbeans, VisualStudio2008 and kwrite. Useually its not actually my chioce what we're using.

Overally I'll have to say that kwrite was my favourite although when using it I miss intergrated debugging and autocompletion.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 2:32 pm

Emacs at home.

VS 2008 & Notepad++ at work.