Toucan

04 Dec 2009, 7:09 pm

... if what he says here makes sense:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6M0hR0lLvc[/youtube]

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 9:09 pm

If this guy has AS and is using his analytical mind to see this, i would agree you. However, some of what he says isnt always true. Some women would like to be wined and dined, but not all women will necessarily want that. He's pretty much saying, "Be your d@mn self," which should be everyone's mindset. Now, i'll admit to the whole "gentleman" bit because it seems respectful, on the other hand, he does have a point . . . acting like that can be considered an empty promise. A, "Too good to be true," scenario i guess. Listening to what he has said, i can understand my situation . . . i honestly wouldnt know what to deliver a woman who has my fancy, even though i would want some companionship in my life (currently underemployed, a player of games with little interest in social/political scenarios, and nothing really set for a goal in life).

jd1515
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2009, 10:55 pm

He's right in part: women don't like gentlemen, but he's wrong about the motivation for being a gentleman. If he was right, conversations between men and women would go something like this:

Man: Hello, I find you sexually attractive, would you like to have sex with me?

Woman: Yes, I also find you attractive (or) no, I don't find you attractive.

Or maybe there would be more direct questions to help the woman determine whether the man is a potential mate, like wealth/educational level/physical fitness.

As a nice guy/gentleman myself, I am honestly more comfortable with the formal type of relationship, where there are rules and logical steps, meet woman, become friends, ask for date, go on Friday night date to restaurant, kiss, buy flowers, go on another date, sex. It's not a trick or an image I present to the world to mask my true feelings.

This type of relationship plays to my style of thinking, as it requires a lot of verbal interaction and is logical. It also has clear lines where the I know if I'm making progress (aha, she accepted my date- she must be interested!) without having to guess. Women in this paradigm are expected to be nice and pleasant, to let the guy through to the next level if he passes muster and to gently reject him if he doesn't, the theory being that if you do this enough times you will eventually find someone you are compatible with, and can begin to do things like hang out during the day, go on vacations, or move in with.

Women are more emotionally sensitive and communicate non-verbally, so they want someone who will give them emotional peaks (not just a level plain) and knows when they want to be kissed without having to be told. They'd rather meet someone informally, like at a club or party, allowing them to be swept up in the moment and adding to the emotional roller coaster, instead of having to approach romance as a series of disjointed, formal "dates." The man is there to give the woman a passionate, exciting experience, to allow her to let her hair down and be spontaneous. You can't do this if you force the woman into a formal dating structure, she may feel constrained and that does not let her express herself.

Alpha males (the "thugs" he refers to in the video are just another type of alpha male like jock or frat boy) are comfortable being in this second kind of relationship, as they can provide woman with that emotional experience they are looking for. This is how things work with our close primate relatives, it's all about body language and non-verbal interaction. A century ago, it would happen in the shadows- the "traveling salesman" story, but today, we are moving towards accepting the second type of relationship as the normal way of dating, as is more natural for everyone except the nice guys, who need to be educated about how women think in relationships.

Klom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2009, 9:54 am

Well... Kissing girls on the hand is all right! If you are congruent with it. He's right about honesty. You shouldn't buy your way into a girls heart. Most likely you won't be able to and if you are.. well, I think that's sort of prostitution. Make it special and on your terms if you buy her stuff. If she's broke and hungry, you may buy her something to eat. But don't take girls out to the finest restaurant in the city to prove that you're worth her.

..It's more about the subcontext of what you do. Buying lunch for a hungry person is nice, buying the most expensive dinner ever is try hard. Get it?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 10:12 am

jd1515 wrote:
Women are more emotionally sensitive and communicate non-verbally, so they want someone who will give them emotional peaks (not just a level plain) and knows when they want to be kissed without having to be told. They'd rather meet someone informally, like at a club or party, allowing them to be swept up in the moment and adding to the emotional roller coaster, instead of having to approach romance as a series of disjointed, formal "dates." The man is there to give the woman a passionate, exciting experience, to allow her to let her hair down and be spontaneous. You can't do this if you force the woman into a formal dating structure, she may feel constrained and that does not let her express herself.

two questions:
1) How can anybody even enjoy that? It doesn't make much sense to me...
2) Are there women out there that aren't addicted to this "emotional roller coaster" you mention?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 7:53 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
jd1515 wrote:

two questions:
1) How can anybody even enjoy that? It doesn't make much sense to me...
2) Are there women out there that aren't addicted to this "emotional roller coaster" you mention?

1)Many women do enjoy it. I am one of these women. There is a misconception I sometimes see here that only jerks provide this sort of emotional experience; and so any man who provides it must be a jerk. Not true.

2)Just because I like it and so do many other women, that doesn't mean all women do. Not everybody has the same taste. Many of the things I find enjoyable (like the paragraph you have quoted) are thorougly unenjoyable to other women. That's where the "someone for everyone" cliche comes from. Because not everybody has the same tastes and desires.

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 12:29 am

I agree with what this guy is saying.. but in a VERY different way. I think..well i'll change that.. I KNOW women like gentlemen. But women do not like guys who ARE gentlemen. By that I mean a guy who relies on pulling out chairs and paying for expensive dinners, as opposed to actually have a personality.

I'm talking about the type of guy who instead of being themselves..throws out "Oh you're sooo beautiful" or.. "How's dinner" or "Are you having fun" every few minutes. Women are just people and while some of them are very nice, beautiful and near and dear to our hearts you cannot be a pedestal for them. Treat them with respect and love, don't worship them like the holy scripture.

Its fine to buy dinner, but talk about whatever interests you.. NOT what interests you about them hormonally.

Also.. he talks a lot about confidence a lot in the video (I doubt if this dude has AS but who knows) confidence helps tremendously, but you don't have to have the "stereotypical" version of confidence. Confidence is a reflection of how you view yourself and what you think your self worth is in contribution.

A lot of people (even on this site) have low self worth and don't get a gf not as a direct result of AS but because that self worth is lower than those of people who haven't accomplished half as much and DO have a gf.

I mean, are we really saying no one here has nothing going for them? Generally I think its nonsense, if you have a steady concept of what a relationship is, you can have one.