Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 2:28 am

I get to see a lot of black widows due to my job so I’m usually very careful as to what I touch but today I was careless. I was moving some stuff around a yard and my finger touched something smooth and cold. When I looked down I realized that it was a black widow. I quickly checked my finger to see if I had been bitten. At first I didn’t feel anything but several minutes later my finger started to hurt and swell. The pain and the swelling were very mild. The fangs must have just brushed my skin. Apparently a black widow feels just like what it resembles, a steel ball.

2leftfeet
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Dec 2009, 3:34 am

We have them in places in and around our yard, and I've seen them. I have no idea what the body of the spider itself feels like.

My understanding is that the sting initially feels a little like a bee or wasp sting, followed by flu-like symptoms.

Chances are good you caught very little if any venom. Of course, if you start to feel really sick, consult a doctor.

Hope this helps.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 8:16 am

ive had thousands of false widows in my flat this year, they can look very similar fully grown (minus the red bit) but the venom although closely related is much weaker.

At first i was in a right state carefully examining clothing and spending ages going to bed, but now ive grown totally careless - im back to shuffling barefoot through clutter and getting dressed with just a token shake. Obviously this is nowhere near as serious as the american version.

2leftfeet
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Dec 2009, 5:19 am

Snakes, spiders, scorpions--They have their place in the scheme of things. As long as it's not in my house LOL.