Developmental Leap........or what?! !! !

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FD
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2009, 5:28 pm

My son 4.75yrs was always very easy going. Never minded anything new or different going on. He was always mostly flexible, and very compliant.

But.....as his language is progressing wonderfully, and he is 'growing up' so much lately, he is also protesting allot more :?

His early intervention team have said that it is a good sign to see a child go through this disruptive phase, as it means they are moving on developmentally. (maybe delayed terrible twos ? , I dont know ! !!)

He is needing more time to transition, NEVER a problem before. He is protesting going to bed (just doesnt want to go) keeps getting out, and we have to put him back in several times now. This NEVER happened before.

Nothing else has changed for him that I can think of, except that he is coming on really well at the same time. Becoming more independant, better language etc.

So....is this a development leap, or is something else going on that I am missing ? Its kind of cute watching him being so passionate about things now, but its much harder to manage him, as he was so compliant up till now.

Any thoughts please ? xx

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 6:43 pm

Growning pains it sounds like. My Jake is realy moody when he started getting new skills , so we just take a deap breath and ride it out, it always ends before too long.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 12:29 am

Hard to say but fits and spurts, changes and so on seem to all be part of the process of growing up, and AS kids tend to do it all in their own unique way.

FD
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2009, 2:52 am

Thats okay if it is just 'growing up' stuff, I can deal with that :) I am just always on the lookout in case it is something that I may be missing, as we are only just starting out on this journey.

Have any of your kids gone from really passive, to well....not so passive? :wink:

Its something I cannot really complain about, as he is also coming on so well, it feels worth it all. His EI team did say that usually when they notice the child really progressing in school, that the family report all sorts of new, more difficult / defiant behaviors.

Thanks for your thoughts xx