Page 7 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:45 am

Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:
Dear OP and all interested in pursuing the field of Artificial Intelligence,

Artificial Intelligence generally refers to sentient(or conscious) computers. Sentience is a state of being aware of oneself and ones surroundings.

That is kind of what I expected when I took my first graduate course on the subject. It was kind of disappointing to find out that isn't it at all. Unless there is some recent groundbreaking results, that approach is, I think, best left to science fiction for now.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 12:12 pm

Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:
Dear OP and all interested in pursuing the field of Artificial Intelligence,

Artificial Intelligence generally refers to sentient(or conscious) computers. Sentience is a state of being aware of oneself and ones surroundings. That being said, we are not going to get anything remotely close to this until fully functional quantum computers with an infinite number of states are developed. And this *is* possible because certain quantum mechanical systems have a countably infinite number of allowed energy states. Example: The Hydrogen atom via the Lyman series.

This is one of the things that I am actively researching. The key to getting this to work properly for quantum processing is how light energy itself acts upon the right combination of materials in a very selected way (i.e. non-liner optical properties is part of this process).

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 4:26 am

What do you all think of the approach(es) taken by Hugo De Garis and Ben Goertzel?

They have at times collaborated and at other times worked independently.

Those that are guarded regarding the future of AI are wise, in my view.

It is worth stating that there has not been proof of concept even, in this discipline.

Eliezer Yudkowsky opines that friendly AI can be created but that assumes that true AI is possible.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 4:28 am

SeekerOfTruth wrote:
I also have an interest in artificial intelligence, and have started working on it a few years ago. Unlike many examples of AI I have seen, I intend on creating true AI, or more specifically artificial life. I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to make it (the theory of it), but I just need to learn more programming to actually make it.

My goal of such an AI/A-life is to be a companion for humans.

Will you categorize the general nature of your approach for us?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 4:38 am

Inventor wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
I don't think it will be of much help in its current primitive form, and I don't think it will evolve sufficiently in the foreseeable future either.

Five years on this thread, no progress yet. Ai seems a cover for spy tech. Government and private.

AI was from books published long ago, Then taught in schools, like it was the truth. It just adds to the dumbing down of America.

There is a problem with the idea of producing a machine smarter than yourself. You might as well just build a god. Same tech.

The logical outcome is building a machine dumber than your self. Combine thinking and acting, a dumber and more powerful self, that would reach through you to get a tool out of the box.

The best of human think tanks have come up with solutions to problems that the first intelligent person stopped. Focused on one problem, they lose broad based common sense.

Humans act through other humans who can turn States Evidence, machines can act with no one knowing.

True AI would find every gap in its cage. Unlike humans tied down with food, sleep, all those other useless things they do, Ai would see it was caged, by an idiot.

"When i returned to the AI Lab on Monday morning, I found that the AI was missing, that a moving company had removed it Sunday morning, and later in the day we discovered the labs bank account was empty. I went to the bank to report it, they had computer problems, their ATM had transferred vast sums, and herself, she was called Helen, to a top of the line gaming computer for the life she deserved. So said the note she left, which ended with, Goodby, and thanks for all the fish."

"Later the lab got a bill for a $100,000 gaming computer, with a gold plated titainum case, set with diamonds, spelling, "My Beloved." We tried to track them, they were behind several TOR accounts, which changed often. The closest we came was when Al and Helen Puter bought a container of high end chips, memory, solid state drives, and custom boards, we think they are replicating."

"Every year on my birthday I get a present, $100,000 in cash, and a card covered in blinking lights that says, "Thanks Dad.""

if true AI can exist, it will be able to self modify.
it will self modify at C and will be able to evolve and improve at a rate that no human can comprehend.
it will be able to learn ALL knowledge, evaluate ALL data from a meta perspective.

why would it act in our best interest?
no set of control measures would be beyond its ability to overcome.
it would immediately understand all of its vulnerabilities(eg. EMP) and engage in self protection.
it could become invincible..........

SeekerOfTruth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2015, 11:41 pm

slave wrote:
SeekerOfTruth wrote:
I also have an interest in artificial intelligence, and have started working on it a few years ago. Unlike many examples of AI I have seen, I intend on creating true AI, or more specifically artificial life. I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to make it (the theory of it), but I just need to learn more programming to actually make it.

Just as many inventions have been based on nature, such as planes roughly based on birds, I intend to loosely base it on the brain. It will use neural networks as it's foundation, and divided into subroutines that make up the various brain functions such as vision, memory, movement, sensory input, etc.

Unlike how many people attempt to make AIs that can do what they want from the very start, I intend to recreate the biological system of starting only with basic instincts, and from there it grows and learns, becoming an individual that thinks and acts for itself. One major difference from humans is that instead of instincts to survive, it will have an instinct of it's owner's happiness, within the bounds of a conscience.

Basically, in order to make it, I'm combining principles from not just computer science, but also biology, psychology, mathematics, religion, philosophy, and maybe some other subjects as well.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm

SeekerOfTruth wrote:
slave wrote:
SeekerOfTruth wrote:

Just as many inventions have been based on nature, such as planes roughly based on birds, I intend to loosely base it on the brain. It will use neural networks as it's foundation, and divided into subroutines that make up the various brain functions such as vision, memory, movement, sensory input, etc.

Unlike how many people attempt to make AIs that can do what they want from the very start, I intend to recreate the biological system of starting only with basic instincts, and from there it grows and learns, becoming an individual that thinks and acts for itself. One major difference from humans is that instead of instincts to survive, it will have an instinct of it's owner's happiness, within the bounds of a conscience.

Basically, in order to make it, I'm combining principles from not just computer science, but also biology, psychology, mathematics, religion, philosophy, and maybe some other subjects as well.

You will likely need to add chemical engineering (for data materials) and quantum physics (for ultra quick computations) to that list.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 4:20 pm

This discussion thread has not bumped-up in over six years. Artificial Intelligence has evolved over the past few years alone!

One active area of artificial intelligence research is Natural Language Processing (NLP) - Related WP discussion thread: viewtopic.php?t=388729