EU agrees climate pledge that may boost Copenhagen

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 9:39 am

EU agrees climate pledge that may boost Copenhagen

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 4:54 am

Just like America, buying the Black vote, Europe has gone ACORN.

Reducing deforestation? By 25% in fifteen years? That is about when the last tree falls, and the rate will be reduced from a million kilometers a year to 750,000? I doubt there will be a third world country left to log by then.

2012 seems mentioned often, like America they must have an election coming.

Europe is saying they will reduce emitions, an they will, because all the industry will be in China.

They are paying damages on the Colonial Period, and trying to put some spin on it so they they can still claim to be playing the Great Powers Game.

Buyng a few votes will not bring China, Brazil, Russia, India, to the table of their European Overlords.

The American reduction is also plotted on the decline of industry, we may well exceed 17%.

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 11:13 am

I am totally pushing for that Tobin Tax btw. <.< I reckon they said (at the time i learned about it) that the 0.1% tax on all financial exchanges worldwide could eliminate world hunger o.O . ( wiki link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobin_tax )

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 2:22 pm

And in Stock Markets where a billion shares a day trade, often the same contract changing hands several times, 0.1% would become several percent a month. The gain that drives the market has been 10% a year over time, but not the last decade, we are flat, and the tax would have made that a 10% decline.

It has no chance, it is a tax on assets, not income.

I happen to favor a tax on assets, at 3% we would need no other taxes.

The idea of world taxation? Run by The European League of Nations?

First it is a tax to cover the Banks making them failsafe, even if they do lose money, now it is to end world hunger?

How about closing banks that are bankrupt, and nations, and selling off the assets?

It is, Privatize the earnings and Socialize the losses, and if there are funds, the losses will never stop.

The 1/10% that have most of the assets do not trade, they own, so the tax would fall on the people who are building income, not a good place, as it will destroy the incentive to invest.

What we need is an accounting of assets at current market value, Mark to Market, and a small flat tax with no deductions.

When every $1,000,000 is taxed $30,000 a year, Capital will become productive.

All taxes on income and transactions cost most of the tax in processing. It also keeps the poor poor.