Laurent, South Dakota, an example for us ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Feb 2006, 1:44 pm

Have you heard about that futur city ? It is constructed by and for deaf poeple, or more precisely, poeples who use the sign language. They do this to have a place where they would all be able to communicate and live together, at last, beeing a part of it. Here's a link http://www.laurentsd.com/

Don't you see a similar thinking among Aspie ? Would you agree with a construction of this kind: a city built by and for Aspie ? Would you go to live there ? Would you migrate from another country to live there ?

How many of you would come in if a city like that was built somewhere ?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 2:10 pm

It sounds nice and all, but I wouldn't want to live just with people on the autistic spectrum. I'd prefer it if NT society just became a little more accepting of our quirks.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 2:27 pm

Yeah, I think this would be ideal... An entire community made up of people on the spectrum. I think something on a smaller scale would be a bit more feasible though, like an apartment complex of just aspies might be something we'd actually see in the future

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 3:11 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
It sounds nice and all, but I wouldn't want to live just with people on the autistic spectrum. I'd prefer it if NT society just became a little more accepting of our quirks.

I second NH on this one. A whole town of AS folks might be a difficult place to live.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 4:10 pm

I personally like being around NTs. Sure I make a fool of myself much more often than when I'm around aspies, but I enjoy the social interaction anyway.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 5:36 pm

Something happening in South Dakota.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 7:27 pm

Yeah, things do happen in South Dakota. Of course, the last piece of news that was national was when the State's congressman killed the motorcyclist by running a stop sign.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 7:38 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
I think something on a smaller scale would be a bit more feasible though, like an apartment complex of just aspies might be something we'd actually see in the future

Let's just drool over the prerequisite Symetric 10 MB internet connection, as well as Gb Network that this Apt. Complex would have at minimum.

For the Record, Yes I have heard of this town. --I think I saw something about it on 60 Minutes early last year.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Feb 2006, 10:37 am

Yes Laurent town IS in construction, it is not only a dream.....

I'm asking that because i think i will start something like it, here in Quebec (in the Laurentides....). I have enough money for the land and the first construction but of course i can't do it all alone......

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 5:30 am

ljbouchard wrote:
Yeah, things do happen in South Dakota. Of course, the last piece of news that was national was when the State's congressman killed the motorcyclist by running a stop sign.
Sorry I did not get back to this until now Yes Congressman Janklow did kill a motorcyclist from Minnesota sorry to say. He should of retired from Office after being the Governor of South Dakota for more years than He should have been in the end. He speeded along the Highway of South Dakota for more years than He should have for sure in the end. So I am sorry ljbouchard I did not get back to this until now.