Is there a such thing as Neurotypical?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Is there a such thing as a "normal" brain/psychological state?
Yes 59%  59%  [ 22 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 37

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 12:18 am

I personally cannot think of an example of a single person who does not suffer from any degree of delusion or any other type of psychological disorder.

14 Dec 2009, 12:22 am

I don't know why I voted no. I heard there are actually people out there who have no mental conditions.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 12:36 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I don't know why I voted no. I heard there are actually people out there who have no mental conditions.
I bet I could find something off about them. I've noticed most people are just straight up delusional with a distorted view of reality.

14 Dec 2009, 12:54 am

Stupidity should be a mental condition. Doctors love to turn everything into one.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 2:33 am

MartyMoose wrote:
I personally cannot think of an example of a single person who does not suffer from any degree of delusion or any other type of psychological disorder.

I voted no also, I don't believe its possible for anyone to be normal

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 3:14 am

There are people who pretend to have a perfectly normal mental state, but they are the most messed up of all.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2009, 3:41 am

Oh god, not this "there is no normal" crap. I even heard this from a shrink recently.

Sorry folks, but you have normal defined wrong. Normal would be what you typically expect of individuals. If it is normal for people to not be "normal", then that is what the norm for normal is.

Most people expect a lot the same things from people when it comes to interaction. Sure, they don't know exactly how that person will do it, how they will dress or look or sound, but they can expect, for example, the person wont be picking their nose when coming up to order a burger at McDonalds or something. Why? Because it IS NOT NORMAL to be just picking your damn nose in public while ordering a burger.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 4:12 am

Fo-Rum wrote:

Most people expect a lot the same things from people when it comes to interaction. Sure, they don't know exactly how that person will do it, how they will dress or look or sound, but they can expect, for example, the person wont be picking their nose when coming up to order a burger at McDonalds or something. Why? Because it IS NOT NORMAL to be just picking your damn nose in public while ordering a burger.

I know for a fact there are "neurotypical" people who do stuff like that

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 4:15 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
There are people who pretend to have a perfectly normal mental state, but they are the most messed up of all.
Thats what I think because they are refusing to acknolwedge their own flaws.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 4:20 am

What exactly is normal? Ask more than one person that question and they come up with different meanings.. It makes me kinda think...... What was the point in people labelling normal when practically everyone is different if you get what i mean? Not even i could think of a definition for it.

Anyways maybe i could post something like that on my youtube page but then i think i would just put it into a comedy sketch. :D

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 5:36 am

Neurotypicals probably recognize a lot of traits in themselves as they are reading criteria for different disorders, as many of the traits are more extreme versions of "normal" behaviour. The important part is in how much they are leaning. As there really are a whole bunch of people who are closer to the norm than any mental disorders, I would be inclined to say yes.

BTW, who here can say that they fit in 100% into the stereotypical view of Asperger's Syndrome? If not, how you can then go on to say that Neurotypicals are not Neurotypicals?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 10:07 am

Are there people who are within a standard deviation of the average on all psychological/cognitive parameters? Yes, but they're the minority.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2009, 10:47 am

I think there is a NT spectrum with boundaries that blend into the atypical-neuro type.

14 Dec 2009, 12:18 pm

Normal means anything that is in the majority. So if you are in the minority, you are not normal. So that means normal people aren't always normal. What if everyone at work liked football but there was one employee there who didn't like it? He be seen as weird and stuff. Maybe judged.

It's a stupid world out there. Normal is over rated. Even people off the spectrum have agreed normal is over rated. And those are the people who accept people for their differences because there is no such thing as normal and everyone has problems.
It be shocking to see someone say that but not accept someone who is different. :roll: Unless the person was all violent of course or a criminal or a jerk or a bully, etc.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 12:43 pm

Neurotypical = a person not on the autism spectrum.

As long as the diagnosis of ASD exists, neurotypical people will exist as all of the members of the population who do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

As far as neurological state is concerned, everyone's brain is unique. I don't agree, though, that everyone has a neurological disorder. There are many people out there with psychiatric disorders and developmental disorders/learning disabilities, but these are only diagnosed if they are significant. People may have some traits of one disorder or another, but it is not constantly affecting their life to that point where it's diagnosable.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Last edited by MathGirl on 14 Dec 2009, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2009, 12:47 pm

Everybody has abnormal behaviors and has traits similar to a psychiatric condition, but not everyone has a mental condition.