Ever mistaken for the wrong gender?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 9:11 pm

Not in person, but it happened to me on the phone a couple of times. I was ordering pizza, and the guy on the other end apparently thought I was a woman because he kept calling me "ma'am". I know my voice isn't very masculine, but I don't think it sounds all that feminine. I didn't correct him, though, because it didn't bother me enough to correct him. :wink:

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 11:37 pm

No. I often get mistaken for a young girl. especially on the phone. Once a telemarketer called, and asked for me by name. When I asked who was calling they said "This is so and so from blank company. Is Shadesofme, your mommy, home?" I said "This is she. How can I help you." He was very surprised and apologized, saying I sounded like a young child.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 12:02 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I get mistaken for a man, and I take it as a compliment. At least I'm the safest woman in the area that I live. I like being mistaken for a man. It makes me feel strong and powerful. Besides, I do feel that I'm a man in a woman's body.

Yeah, I noticed in that picture you posted, you kind of have that androgynous look. You look a lot like a person who works at my local Starbucks, who I now know is female, but I wasn't sure for a while.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone or sound rude, but sometimes I wish people who are not obviously male or female would have some kind of instructions printed over their heads, saying something like, "Yes, I know it's not clear what gender I am, so I would like you to refer to me as ___." Or, "Yes, I know it's not clear what gender I am, and it's okay for you to guess wrong." I've had many times when I needed to know whether to say "he" or "she", and experienced a lot of anxiety about possibly getting it wrong, because you don't know if the person will be offended or not if you do get it wrong.

I was mistaken for a boy twice as a kid. In the 2nd grade, I had a pixie haircut. I moved to a new school, and on my first day there, we had to divide into boys and girls for an activity. My name is Evelyn, and I used to be called Evy. When I went to the girl's side of the room, the teacher said, "You need to go over with the rest of the boys, Evan." I said, "I'm a girl." I wonder if that teacher remember that incident, because it may have flustered her as much as it did me. People are so weird about things like that.

I'd kind of like to be more androgynous. Specifically, I'd like to be flat chested. I'm constantly aware of having these things on my chest, in the way, and having to spend an entire day shopping for bras and only finding one that fits, and it costs $50. But once I was about 12, if was clear that being androgynous wasn't to be my fate.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 3:09 pm

Some time ago I got pm-ed by one of the WP posters who admitted to thinking all that time since he arrived in the board that I was a male :lol: To quote him: "I saw your "The Borg Queen" rank and thought "This dude is craaaazy" " :lol:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 3:20 pm

I have many times and I've been asked what gender I am. But that was for 2 years when I used to wear nothing but men's clothes and had short mop hair. I don't now, I look more feminine now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 3:32 pm

I sound like a man...who's from London. 8)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 3:42 pm

In real life I was only mistakened for a boy once, and that was when I had really short hair.

On the phone, however, lots of people mistake me for a boy. One guy I talked to, who was an aspie I'd met over the internet, outright told me I sounded like a boy. I can't blame him, though; when I listen to recordings of myself, I do sound more like a young boy than a woman. My younger brother has a similar problem - people almost always think he's a girl over the phone. I think that's odd, because while his voice isn't terribly deep, I think he still sounds like a young man.

The Internet is the place where people most often mistake me for a boy. I owe a lot of that to the fact that for many years my obsessions were anime whose target audiences were boys and men (shonen and seinen).

But ever since I got into Edward Scissorhands and Sweeney Todd, no one's mistook me for a boy. Probably because those movies are usually liked by girls, thanks in no small part to Johnny Depp. :wink: Although, Cracked.com did name Sweeney Todd #1 on their list of '8 Manliest Musicals' (not counting the joke entry of Cats). Also, my username on The Tim Burton Collective forum is Alex Lovett, and since Alex can be a boy's name, some people might interpret it to mean I want to marry Mrs. Lovett. :lol:

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 5:10 pm

When I was a kid other children used to ask whether I was a boy or girl because I had short hair. I have also been mistaken for a transgender person in a gay bar before by a straight man, because of my large hands, but as soon as I spoke he realised I wasn't one.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 6:39 pm

On other forums I do.

It's hillarious, most guys just assume I'm a guy by saying bro or something. It's actually more fun to be mistaken as a guy than it is a woman.

In real life....it's a different story.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 6:45 pm

There was this one forum which I accidently put myself as a female, I can't remember which one it was?
But I was a lurker there anyways so they couldn't tell... :lol:

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 6:54 pm

Something I've always found entertaining was posing as female in RPG's and MMO's. It's mindboggling how much more you can get away with.
On one occasion, during my World of Warcraft days, I ninja'd (stole) an item I had been trying to aquire for months and much to my surprise, only 1 person voiced their anger and he was quickly silenced by others in the group on account of "she really wanted it and [he] should stop fussing over pixels".

Also, I never had to pay for item enhancements. :lol:

Kaizer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2010, 10:05 am

alot of the time lol im masculine in appearence and nature so... :lol:
but i dont consider myself really female or male but abit of both lol best of both worlds

:lol:

Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2010, 10:28 am

No - everyone sees that I'm a girl.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 10:42 am

For a long time I kept my hair short. I was ALWAYS getting called a boy. It doesn't help that I am only 4'10" tall and have pretty much no boobs though. People often think I am about 10-12 years old! Eventually I got sick of shouting 'I'm a GIRL' to everyone I met so I am now the proud owner of a long feminine hairstyle! Couldn't sort out the height or boobs though... Shame that.

TomTee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2010, 11:52 am

I look much younger than I am. I was ID'ed for beer recently at 23 years older than the legal age and the guy didn't believe the ID.
When I was younger, I was often mistaken for a girl. My mom told me I should have been born a girl because I was "beautiful".
I remember when I was young this big black gangster guy approached me talking all sweet to me. Finally he goes, oh, you're not a girl. I was like duh.

K_W
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2010, 1:43 pm

Yes. I am listed as winner of the 1991-92 girls 6-8 year old ski race at a Michigan ski area. I am most defiantly not a girl. What happened was my dad missed the boy/girl box and my first name is a masculine spelling of a feminine sounding name, so the guy running the race guessed and guessed wrong.

I get mail addressed Ms./Mrs. K____ W____ all the time because of my first name.