Page 16 of 20 [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 2:45 am

broombie wrote:
You have a lot of incite into your Aspergers Syndrome. I have a very close relative who is in total denial about it and makes life more difficult for himself.

Thankyou very much :)

broombie
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2016, 7:58 am

High school really sucks. Students have the herd mentality of cattle. And if they find someone with a perceived weakness, the herd will go after them. Unfortunately, the administration and teachers rarely support the ones who are bullied. There are laws and regulations about helping those who are bullied, but since there is such little enforcement, the administration and teachers pretty much ignore their legal duty.

Also, so few of the administration know even the tiniest thing about Autism. They think that the kid is just being oppositional so they suspend them, expel them and don't really help them. After all, if they break the law, they just get a slap on the wrist.

The secret of not being bullied? Find a friend. Bullies like to target those who are alone.

Oh, and it does get better in college.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 8:47 am

Indeed, very true!

Thankyou for this, glad you can resonate :)

broombie
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2016, 10:14 am

I looked up information on the school psychobully who made life miserable for an Aspie relative. Turns out that this guy went into a field which is the Aspie's special interest. He is light years ahead of the psychobully. Imagine if this sick guy would have become friends with the Aspie instead of bullying him and making his life a misery. He could have learned a lot from my Aspie relative.

broombie
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2016, 3:03 pm

I have a close AS relative who is your age. He has been looking for love with no success. You are very lucky to have found it.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 3:25 pm

broombie wrote:
I have a close AS relative who is your age. He has been looking for love with no success. You are very lucky to have found it.

I know I am very lucky. It happens when you least expect it :)

broombie
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2016, 3:58 pm

He'd like to have friends too. Right now, his only friends are on the internet.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 5:28 pm

I'm sure in time he'll have more than friends outside of the internet. :)

broombie
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2016, 5:56 pm

He's becoming more involved in face-to-face meetings that support his special interests and the people are nice, but in terms of creating a group of friends to hang out with, that hasn't happened yet. I wish I knew what I could do to help.

On another note, like many on the spectrum, he has had a lifelong obsession with films and movies. He has published thousands of movie reviews and actually received a complimentary mention by Roger Ebert, a movie critic who was very well known in the US. He and Ebert became correspondents and he regarded Ebert as a friend.

He is even a reviewer on the website, Rotten Tomatoes, but I don't think as a "Top Reviewer." I think you need to have a job as a reviewer to have that designation.

He is taking a filmmaking class right now in the actual production of a film, but he finds film criticism to be a better fit with his interests. I took the same class and just loved every second of it, but then, I am different from him.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2016, 9:27 pm

Temple Grandin sure shows a lot of empathy in that clip. Thank goodness for people like her that use their wealth and talent for others.

The film maker is lucky to have supportive parents. I never had that. They bullied me every bit as much as kids in school.

Hannahchem
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2016, 8:31 pm

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

connieapmag
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Sep 2016, 10:45 pm

I loved the documentary, it raises awareness.

AnonymouslyAutistic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2016, 12:13 pm

This is amazing! Thank you for sharing!

With love,
Anonymously Autistic
“Anna”

https://anonymouslyautistic.net/

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2016, 4:55 pm

Brilliant film, Alex, thank you for this.

BrookelynR
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2016, 7:11 pm

Bravo to this video. I wish that my school would do something where they show a documentary like this one to teach kids that everyone is different and that they should learn that people with autism are like everyone else instead of thinking of the stereotypes. I loved this video.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 10:01 am

BrookelynR wrote:
Bravo to this video. I wish that my school would do something where they show a documentary like this one to teach kids that everyone is different and that they should learn that people with autism are like everyone else instead of thinking of the stereotypes. I loved this video.

I didn't learn that I was autistic until after I left high school but this kinda thing would indeed be useful for young kids to teach them about all cases being different and stuff.