Developed Aspergers symptoms from Brain surgery?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kadaffy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2009, 4:13 pm

Hi..I underwent a new non-invasive treatment for a neurlogical condition. That was 2 years ago and the "side effects" seem to be a form of autism I've developed.
A councellor I was seeing thinks I may have developed Aspergers like symptoms from the surgery. I also have a low tolerence to movement and sound.
It feels like I'm dissociated from most things.
Is this common with Asperegers?..I know I'm fairly intelligent as I just got honours in my first year of Psychology, but can't figure out why I feel so different?
Any help would be aprecciated...Do I have Aspergers or not?

15 Dec 2009, 4:38 pm

No. I will say you're aspie like.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 4:43 pm

Hello Kadaffy, welcome to Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

keltikboi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2009, 4:44 pm

hello kadaffy and welcome to wrong planet. i've just joined and had an official diagnosis just last thursday with AS.

you might have something there - i had the worst type of meningitis as a baby and my mother noticed i changed once i recovered from a near fatal dose of the disease. i also suffered black outs and fainted in the mornings when i got up out of bed as a teen. these black outs didn't last for long - i only remember about five of them in quick succession - but i'm wondering whether my brain was damaged by this as i definitely developed what i now know as AS around that time - so i have a lot of sympathy for your dilemma. i wish you well for the future.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 4:55 pm

Since it can be caused by a brain injury, it seems possible in this case.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 5:43 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 6:23 pm

A) Hi
B) How old are you? (Also age at time of the surgery)
C) You should look into hemispheric damage. Even NLVD, which can be construed as AS due to symptom overlap (or a subset of symptoms), is considered as a right hemispheric condition.

But autism in general is a developmental disorder... So I doubt that a surgery can recapitulate the circumstances... Which is why I asked about the dates... It's feasible if you had the surgery a long time ago, that some developmental factors were in play. Our brains develop into our mid 20s. And some savants (not autistic) do display similar behaviors as autism and have had head trauma early in life... hence hemispheric stuff.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 6:37 pm

Sedaka wrote:
A) Hi
B) How old are you? (Also age at time of the surgery)
C) You should look into hemispheric damage. Even NLVD, which can be construed as AS due to symptom overlap (or a subset of symptoms), is considered as a right hemispheric condition.

But autism in general is a developmental disorder... So I doubt that a surgery can recapitulate the circumstances... Which is why I asked about the dates... It's feasible if you had the surgery a long time ago, that some developmental factors were in play. Our brains develop into our mid 20s. And some savants (not autistic) do display similar behaviors as autism and have had head trauma early in life... hence hemispheric stuff.

You sound very authoritative. Where are your qualifications to support all these notions? A developmental disorder can also be a result of a brain injury and not necessarily associated with head trauma.

Last edited by Meadow on 15 Dec 2009, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2009, 6:37 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image