did you or your child learn to talk early?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AuntyCC
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2009, 5:29 pm

I've read a couple of accounts of people with Aspergers syndrome who were recorded as talking distinctly early as children.

Typically, babies are said to produce their first words at around 12 mos, and to be using 50 or so by age 24 mos. There is a fair spread of normal around these, but I have heard it said that 400 words at 24mos is considered to be "early talking". I've read in several textbooks the claim that "all" babies produce their first words at around 12 months, regardless of any environmental factors.

So how common is early talking among WPers?

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 5:50 pm

I was a very early talker. I said my first word at 6 months, and I was talking in complete sentences well before 18 months. I have always been a very verbal person. I was hyperlexic as a child, and I think my early talking was a natural progression to a love of reading and words in general. I also am a monologue-giving Aspie. I love to talk and talk and talk about my special interests.
-Hypercoaster1989-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 5:55 pm

My first word was at 10 months, and I was talking in complete sentences by 2 years.

queenserenity22
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2009, 6:16 pm

I'm not quite sure how early I started talking but my mother told me that my first word was actually a complete sentence. :lol:

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2009, 6:19 pm

Both my AS son and I talked at 9 months, and were using complete sentences by 12 months. My son had a several hundred word vocabulary by 18 months.

My youngest talked much later, and was speech delayed.

15 Dec 2009, 6:55 pm

AuntyCC wrote:
I've read a couple of accounts of people with Aspergers syndrome who were recorded as talking distinctly early as children.

Typically, babies are said to produce their first words at around 12 mos, and to be using 50 or so by age 24 mos. There is a fair spread of normal around these, but I have heard it said that 400 words at 24mos is considered to be "early talking". I've read in several textbooks the claim that "all" babies produce their first words at around 12 months, regardless of any environmental factors.

So how common is early talking among WPers?

I talked late but I was babbling early and saying words like "Uh oh" when I was a year old and my mom said they were just sounds. Then I stopped talking completely one night. Do deaf babies do that?
I am not sure at what age I said my first word. But I spoke my first sentences when I was five? but I was very hard to understand and then I was speaking correctly when I was six and became a chatterbox.
I was saying at age three "A' done" and "Take 'em" about my little brother.

Then I started up again and I was left speech delayed when I had my hearing back. I said single words but I had no speech. I think the only word I could say right was "no."

My reason for a speech delay was being deaf but it shocked me when my mom told me I might have still had a speech delay anyway and they don't know that. But no one will never know. But my diagnoses is AS.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 6:57 pm

I started talking at about 2 years old, though when I started talking I did it a lot and I did it well for my age too :)

robinhood
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2009, 9:00 pm

Not sure, but my first word was "bed".... even at that age, I couldn't wait to get away from everyone :lol:

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 9:47 pm

I was taking a university class about language acquisition when my AS son was 18 months old. We didn't know he was AS at the time, but it was fascinating watching him learn language. From 12-18 months, he was continuously learning new words, but he only said them one at a time.

In that class, I learned that at 18 months, the average kid has about 50 words in their working vocabulary, like you said. Not necessarily pronounced correctly, since they haven't worked out how to make the sounds perfectly, but with the correct usage. My kid was different. He had about 350 words. I know, because I was keeping a list, since it was so fascinating to me. His words were things like, "statue", "porthole", chimney", "Volkswagon", "fire engine", "wheel". He did have words for mom and dad, but they weren't among the first. The first was "fish", because of the fish on our shower curtain.

He never took naps, but I used to put him in his crib for an hour each day, with a bunch of board books, for our "quiet time". I would hear him in there, talking. He had babyish pronunciations of a lot of words, but if I spell the words normally to make it easy to understand, his talking would go something like this:

"Wheel.... Brrrrr. Round. Wheel. Fire engine. Fire. Hot! Hot! Hot! Ow! Fire engine. Hose. Water.... Bathtub!" It was fascinating to listen to him at those times. He would been looking at a book with a picture of a wheel or a fire engine, and then been having a train of thought, leading to different ideas. As far as I can tell, his language development was unusual.

I don't know when I began to talk, but I've been told many times that my first word was "no." Apparently it was used to express an opinion (as in answer to a "do you want..." or "do you like..." kind of question.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 10:51 pm

4 1/2 years.

Which is apparently late, but it's the average for those with HFA*.

*Some textbook I read

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 11:05 pm

When I started talking, it was in complete sentences. None of that baby-talk crap. I don't really know when I started talking - It wasn't delayed or anything.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 2:34 am

I didn't speak until I was four.

Volcanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2009, 3:54 am

i was late. i didnt start talking until i was 7 years old

AuntyCC
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2009, 9:45 am

Thanks very much, everyone. If anyone else can add anything, that would be great.

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I talked late but I was babbling early and saying words like "Uh oh" when I was a year old and my mom said they were just sounds. Then I stopped talking completely one night. Do deaf babies do that?

It's common for babies to stop speaking when they get a bad cold or ear infection. Their own voices sound funny - can be uncomfortable too. So yes they often do tend to just stop talking altogether. For a baby with intermittent deafness the variable sound can be utterly confusing, you'll understand why if you've ever had your ears cleaned and heard how loud different kinds of sounds are. Babies are just learning to block out extraneous sounds, and if their ears play them up then it's harder for them to learn that.

Even without deafness, babies will suddenly stop talking altogether as a reaction to say a family gathering in a different house where all the background noise and voices are all different to what they are used to hearing.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 9:58 am

According to my parents, my first word was "car" (it was in Chinese though...) and my next phrases was anything having to do with cars.

I had an obssession with playing with cars all by myself. And somehow I still enjoy anything having to do with cars. I am intrigued by the movement of cars, like I would tend to stare at a car passing by although I try not to do that cause it could look weird.

I'm also obsessed with staring and analysing damages on cars. Maybe I should start a thread on car obsessions...lol

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 11:11 am

gramirez wrote:
When I started talking, it was in complete sentences. None of that baby-talk crap. I don't really know when I started talking - It wasn't delayed or anything.

SpeakeASy topic
This is about the same for me, but then my mother compared me to my brother, who did not talk before the age of three. So I can be reasonably certain that I talked before my brother. :P

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo