Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 5:55 pm

Zulaxia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Dec 2009, 6:43 pm

People once again mixing up 'failed to find evidence of' with 'proves that it's false'. Basic thing they teach you at school is that these aren't the same, why do people still fall for this?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 6:55 pm

That article is from YEARS ago. Since then there have been multiple studies all showing one thing... No vaccine causes autism! There's also proof that the original study showing it did had it's results fiddled! There was never any real evidence vaccines cause autism in the first place!

Anyone who believes vaccines cause autism is, quite frankly, stupid.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 7:08 pm

I can't see a date on this story, but it's clearly old. In Scotland, where I live, take up rates for MMR were back up to, and beyond, the level required for herd immunity a year ago.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 7:46 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
That article is from YEARS ago. Since then there have been multiple studies all showing one thing... No vaccine causes autism! There's also proof that the original study showing it did had it's results fiddled! There was never any real evidence vaccines cause autism in the first place!

IDK my sister said this was on BBC website today. I am aware that many studies have been done and I'm aware (and agree) that no findings don't necessarily mean proof...oh forget it.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2009, 9:22 pm

Zulaxia wrote:
People once again mixing up 'failed to find evidence of' with 'proves that it's false'. Basic thing they teach you at school is that these aren't the same, why do people still fall for this?

Because some people on the spectrum(myself included) have a vested interest in believing it is so. It taps back into the many people's fear of autism and hope for a cure--but that's another story that many other threads have discussed multiple times.

True, absence of proof is not proof of absence.It could very well be that scientists haven't hit upon the right method or asked the right questions. Still... it seems a little odd that with as many times as vaccines have been tested it keeps coming back as "failed to find evidence of".

:scratch:

conan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 9:50 pm

what makes me most suspicious of the whole thing is that the guy who authored the original paper supposedly owned or was heavily involved in a company marketing 3 separate injections. tis clearly bull.

What i would say is that vacines but more likely viruses in general are increasingly being found to cause far more long term damage to the body than previously thought. I suspect that more and more conditions and cancers will be found to have viral causes or at least factors.

Zulaxia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2009, 4:44 am

Dark_Red_Beloved wrote:
Still... it seems a little odd that with as many times as vaccines have been tested it keeps coming back as "failed to find evidence of".

Personally I have a feeling their brief never covers looking into people already susceptible to being on the spectrum and any effects the vaccine has upon them. The only two people in our house who don't have an ASD are the two children born after our son who regressed the day after his MMR jab and we said 'never again'. It's not proof, it's bound to seem like coincidence, but we refuse to take that chance.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 7:25 am

Untill they do a real test on autistic people only (and it was NEVER done) I'll still think that Rubella virus (both the virus and the vaccine) can increase autism problems. Obviously given a 1/100 for the spectrum and 1/1000 for worst cases, if for istance a vaccine has a 10% chance to reduce the already spectrum child the functioning of let's say 20% it's basically impossible to see it if you do the test on "all" the population.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 11:47 am

For the people who still believe MMR causes autism, I suggest you take a look at the following...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 683671.ece - "MMR doctor Andrew Wakefield fixed data on autism"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8268302.stm - "Autism rates back MMR jab safety"
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/09September ... rates.aspx - "MMR jab has not raised autism"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/ ... mr-vaccine - "Autism just as common in adults, so MMR jab is off the hook"

All of those are from reliable sources, click the links and have a look.

Now, I'll say it again, anyone who thinks vaccines cause autism is stupid.

Zulaxia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2009, 12:20 pm

http://www.generationrescue.org/studies.html

As for Andrew Wakefield, as far as I know, he fixed it to be sure people saw what he saw. Sadly it happens a lot. People see results but it's not BIG enough for other people to look at, so they fiddle it.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2009, 12:57 pm

Zulaxia wrote:
Dark_Red_Beloved wrote:
Still... it seems a little odd that with as many times as vaccines have been tested it keeps coming back as "failed to find evidence of".

Personally I have a feeling their brief never covers looking into people already susceptible to being on the spectrum and any effects the vaccine has upon them. The only two people in our house who don't have an ASD are the two children born after our son who regressed the day after his MMR jab and we said 'never again'. It's not proof, it's bound to seem like coincidence, but we refuse to take that chance.

You could be right. That could very well be the case. They may have never looked into people already susceptible to being on the spectrum. I should look into that...

In any event, my bias on the subject of vaccines is this: I'm an autistic adult diagnosed when awareness of autism was just beginning to trickle down from the academia to general public.Prior to this time teachers and other authority figures attributed my behavior to unintelligence and flat-out defiance. Since I wasn't visibly disabled, many of the people I came in contact with(adults and peers alike) took the bootstraps route: suck it up. Now...

Now when I turn on the news, I see much more awareness of autism's existence than when I was a child. However, I see the fear in people's eyes on the news at the mention of autism. I see authority making the same mistakes they did with me because they rigidly hold to the way they've always done things instead moving forward with new knowledge. I see people who didn't know know of autistic children, ignorant of autistic adults now--I may as well be as mythical as the unicorn for all that some people know!It is incredibly frustrating!

But when last comes to last it comes down to this: The well meaning curious looks I see from people are just that;Well meaning but merely curious.It's a start but needs to travel further. Knowing of something is quite different than knowing someone.

Things must change in how we treat people with disabilities no matter what one thinks of vaccines.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2009, 7:38 pm

Given the fact that the idea of vaccines appearing safe appeals very much to many groups, I could see every bit of "research" being a big sham. I'd like to note that NO mainstream media site (I don't know if all the linked are mainstream or not) is a reliable source. Seriously, how can be people know that the media lies but still trust them? That is insanity.

Vaccines are big business. They are even protected by the government here in the United States. Nobody can hold any vaccine company accountable if their vaccine does any damage to an individual. With so many people trusting vaccines to be safe, that means good business for them.

I once read an article talking about the research done with things like the flu virus. It was shown that flu virus can create schizophrenic/autitic symptoms in lab rats when given to them at a specific period in the fetal stage. Not just the flu or mercury, but vaccines also majorly depress the immune system of an individual for up to TWO weeks. I've seen the comparison between mercury poisoning and autistic symptoms, and they are astonishingly close. There are many capable doctors who know the material just as well, if not better, than any naysayer, who also disagree with how the studies are conducted, and for how long. You are so convinced that just because you saw it on the news, that it has to be true!

Quite frankly I am confused, with all the things that I've read, and the things that I know, why so many people just sit down and accept whatever "proof" they get from the media. I'm not stupid for agreeing with a possibility that vaccines can cause autism, I do however think one would be stupid for DISAGREEING with the possibility. Note I did not state it as a fact, but a possible scenario. You should really try and decide for yourself based off of a plethora of "evidence" and your own good sense, not just sit down and believe it because they told you so.

If you don't find the truth for yourself, somebody will do it for you, and it will most likely be a lie.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 7:46 pm

Fo-Rum, got any links to back that up? Any report of that mouse research?

Saying that all the mainstream media lies is just ignorant. Some sources may be biased with certain issues, but when reporting on scientific studies they rarely are, plus each link I gave was from a different souce, all quoting different studies, that all came to the same conclusion. Funny, that, isn't it?

I have also read of evidence that murcery isn't linked to autism at all. I'll do a little digging if you want more info.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 9:42 am

Asp-Z wrote:

Asp-Z wrote:

Quote:
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.

'nuff said.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 11:04 am

ed wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Asp-Z wrote:

Quote:
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.

'nuff said.

I still stand by my comments, the evidence all says no vaccines can cause autism.