Are the following people considered NTs?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2006, 7:58 pm

NT or AS isn't how my brain divides people, not part of my default mental filter/framework. Can understand "Us or Them" sense-but that's not based on dx person has. I have a few friends & none of them are dx'd, with AS or anything else. Don't consider them NT, and they are "my" sort of people:meaning we enjoy each other. It's about personal qualities, whether any person & I get along well. If someone appreciates & understands me sufficiently (and vice versa), that's friendship.
There are AS dx'd (either by self or by dr.) people I dislike, so I ignore them & they ignore me. There are NT folks I dislike, so I'm not friends w/them either. There are AS dx'd people I seem to have much in common with, also the case with some "NT" people (no dx, or non-AS dx).
Get along best w/people who are "unusual" in some ways which happen to be compatible w/my my "unusual" ways. Which things people have in common is different for each individual & relationship, for me it doesn't follow diagnostic lines.

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2006, 5:36 am

My dad is Dyslexic without AS, my son is Dyslexic and also AS.
I am number Dyslexic without AS.
I didn't know that those with Dyslixia have their brains wired differently.
NT are what I call those not on the Autisim spectrum. But I have problems thinking those with AS are on that Autisim spectrum although I know they are. Surely there can be another way to look at this. :?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2006, 11:51 am

Usually, NT has been used to describe anyone who is not autistic. Which is why I frequently use the term NA or nonautistic instead for sake of accuracy.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2006, 3:38 pm

Sophist wrote:
Usually, NT has been used to describe anyone who is not autistic. Which is why I frequently use the term NA or nonautistic instead for sake of accuracy.

Sophist I like NA much better, do you mind if I use that term as well? :D

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2006, 3:42 pm

I like NA, too, but I keep thinking of it as Not Applicable. :)

AspieGurl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2006, 7:35 pm

yes i think NA works :lol:

Alice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2006, 8:43 pm

NA all the way. NT is so yesterday.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 9:16 pm

I don't believe that they're neurotypical. I think that neurotypical is merely a means of defining one's condition, if they have a neurological disorder or not, and typically that neurological disorder is an autistic spectrum disorder. So, if that person doesn't have an autistic spectrum disorder, then they are called an NT (or neurotypical). I don't believe it's a really derogatory or insulting term, or at least I don't think it is.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

shivanataraja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2006, 5:13 pm

I don't see the terms NT and NA here as mutually exclusive... in fact, having both terms enables much greater clarity, because if NT is taken to mean "neurotypical, ie not having *any* neurological abnormalities/disorders/whatever word you want to use for AS, ADD, dyslexia, non-specific learning disability, etc", and NA = "non-autistic, ie not having any of the smaller subset of autistic conditions", then those who have dyslexia, ADD, etc, but not autism, can be accurately called NA, but not NT... in that way, you have useful terms both for "normal" and for "not autistic", to be used in relation to all neurological differences in the first case and to autism specifically in the second... and i think it's always useful to have as many clearly understood terms as possible...