Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2010, 5:39 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Every martial artist should know that pretty much every move has a counter, even ones that might seem infeasible. There is a big difference between drills and no holds bared fighting. Move in isolation a quite useless, you can't rely on set routines in a fight. That is why in Wing Chun the goal is to achieve Fan Sao.

I was exactly like you when I was a beginner. I thought my teachers were indestructible. You won't have the slightest clue for a long time, just how good they are.

My teachers say they learn from the students all the time. Part of what make you better is the ability to question and analyse, not blindly follow. As one of my teachers put it quite aptly "Even Mike Tyson had a coach, it doesn't mean they would go 12 rounds with him". In other words teacher are there to help you get the best out of yourself, not just to impress you. Of course there are people better than my teachers, their master for one.

I get what you are saying about the limitations, however there are always going to be limitation, you just have to deal with it. You might be injured for instance. Ideally you want to get a skirmish over fast and decisively, but what if things don't pan out like that, do you have the stamina to continue?

Is this targeted at me? If so:

I understand fully every move has a counter. Some as you say are a little harder to do. I also think I know how good a few of my teachers have been (or not been) much better then you think. There is always somebody better.

Also I say I am a beginner for modesty. I have been doing Martial Arts on and off for about 3+ years now, and at various points when I was younger. I use beginner because I am not at a level were I see myself as anything other. However I can handle myself fine vs somebody untrained, and anyone on my level would be fair.

It also seems to me that you are hailing Wing Chun as the end all be all.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 6:43 pm

VincentVanJones wrote:
Is this targeted at me? If so:

I understand fully every move has a counter. Some as you say are a little harder to do. I also think I know how good a few of my teachers have been (or not been) much better then you think. There is always somebody better.

Also I say I am a beginner for modesty. I have been doing Martial Arts on and off for about 3+ years now, and at various points when I was younger. I use beginner because I am not at a level were I see myself as anything other. However I can handle myself fine vs somebody untrained, and anyone on my level would be fair.

It also seems to me that you are hailing Wing Chun as the end all be all.

I think you are being a bit over defensive. I'm sharing my experiences with you. I'm not hailing Wing Chun as the end and be all. Why would I defend MMA or UFC if that was the case? Did you read the bit about questioning and analysing? I do this all the time.

I was responding to you statement about how some student from your dojo could easily take on UFC/MMA fighters. I made a number of valid points about the nature of UFC/MMA competitions, and the background of those that partake.

Modesty is relative, I expect you to stick up for you training buddies but I don't think you can assume they would be able to handle themselves against any opponent in any given situation.

Nintendoman101
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2010, 11:55 pm

UFC rocks and brings the house down!! i love combat sports, it is my calling to watch UFC and also wrestling as well, escept that UFC is more civilized than wrestling, but still I like them both.

Iloverussia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2010, 3:12 pm

VincentVanJones wrote:
I personally dislike it. I know it's a sport. I know there are rules in place. But really, "Martial Arts" is a system (regardless of origin) meant to kill. I find it even a tad insulting that it's shown like this.

I am no great Martial Artist, but I do practice. In the art I do, I watch MMA/UFC and get annoyed because of all the things they could do. They promote as real and such but it's really really restricted. You cannot use any nerve strikes, you cannot hit to certain areas, you cannot dislocate or permanently disable limbs, and you cannot use techniques that cause internal organ/tissue damage.

OBVIOUSLY I get why. It's a sport, it's for show. But I also see all these UFC'ers (although some are the real deal) claiming how tough they are and they are superior to other arts blah blah. Most of the mid/high ranks at my current Dojo (NOT the black belts) would decimate a UFC fighter.

Also I note that if you train to fight with those rules, such as never hitting the head etc, then in a real fight you are at a disadvantage. Your mind just won't think the same way someone whos training in an art meant for real defense/combat is. Krav Maga/Toshin-Do for example are the real deal.

Again, I get it, it's a sport.

Sorry but most of the nerve strikes your talking about are highly ineffective in real street fights. MMA is a sport but the skills in it are meant for killing. I am willing to bet a person with even basic Mauy Thai would destroy anyone in your dojo. There is no "secert" killing blow and most of the stuff they teach in old school jj or anything else is pretty common knowledge if you have studied the martial arts at all.

And what are you talking about you can't use techniques that disable limbs? You mean small joint manipulation? Only a complete idiot would allow someone to grad their hands and start twisting it. By the way Krav Maga is good but still doesn't come close to Russian systema. Even the US military tells their people the Russians are the most dangerous.

The problem with people like you is they buy the hype. MMA has skills that can be applied in the streets as do other martial arts. MMA is a sport. I also doubt anyone at your dojo could do s**t against even a low level MMA fighter once they got hit in the face.

Redd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2010, 5:02 am

I wish everyone didn't have to argue about styles or talk bad about MMA in a forum for poeple who like it. I personally love MMA. watch it all the time and ive started trying learn it with my brother but one day i want to take formal lesson's in an individual style, probably Jeet Kun Do since theirs a dojo that does that nearby in Easly and because Bruce Lee was the man, and adopt it as part of my skill set so i can beat my older and younger step brother's. But that will be a while because ones a really good at MMA and the other is a US marine who just got his..., i don't remember which color, belt in marine corp martial arts

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 8:55 pm

Redd wrote:
I wish everyone didn't have to argue about styles or talk bad about MMA in a forum for poeple who like it. I personally love MMA. watch it all the time and ive started trying learn it with my brother but one day i want to take formal lesson's in an individual style, probably Jeet Kun Do since theirs a dojo that does that nearby in Easly and because Bruce Lee was the man, and adopt it as part of my skill set so i can beat my older and younger step brother's. But that will be a while because ones a really good at MMA and the other is a US marine who just got his..., i don't remember which color, belt in marine corp martial arts

F**k it. That's what discussion is for. I love MMA as well and am fully geared up for the fights tonight. People don't like it, that's their right. I'd argue that someone with a solid handle on a variety of martial arts would likely beat the piss out of a master of one single style, but that's just me, and that's neither here nor there.

Also good luck on beating down your step brothers :lol: USMC martial arts steez are really gnarly.

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2010, 6:59 am

I got into MMA/UFC last June and in typical Aspie fashion went for heavy immersion, watching hundreds of hours of Unleashed, the PPV and fight nights, and Pride reruns. Saw the fights last night, I can't afford PPV but I know bars that show it.
I feel too old to start training, I'm content to be an armchair fan. (Yes, I know I'm younger than Randy Couture, but he didn't START fighting at 39.)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 11:09 am

Iloverussia wrote:
And what are you talking about you can't use techniques that disable limbs? You mean small joint manipulation? Only a complete idiot would allow someone to grad their hands and start twisting it. By the way Krav Maga is good but still doesn't come close to Russian systema. Even the US military tells their people the Russians are the most dangerous..

Just what do you think is so special about that? Sytema is just a generic term for Russian martial arts, which includes several styles. Yes krav maga is very pick n mix, but Russian styles are also of mixed origin. It just happens that Stalin banned the idea that things could come from other countries. Vasili Oshchepkov was executed under Stalin’s order for refusing to deny his judo teacher.

In reality all combat style are variations on the same themes for the most part, one is not universally better than the other. If it was then it would be already adopted. In terms of soldiers you have practical problem, which is teaching a large amount of recruits hand-to-hand combat within basic training. Mostly likely the vast majority are going to be mediocre, as they aren’t getting the practice time of a dedicated martial artist.

Even with Special Forces it can be a problem, you really need to be training in it all of the time. People assume that if a person is admitted into Special Forces, they are skilled in absolutely everything, that isn’t necessarily true.

Generally speaking soldiers are trained in armed combat, and mostly in long range modern weapons like guns. That is a completely different skill. Yes it would be good if they are up s**t cheek to be able to do hand to hand, but there is not guarantee about being able to do it.

Major problem is fighting is about reacting, you can do set drills in basic training, but there is no guarantee those situations will come up, in fact most likely they won’t. Teaching knife and hand to knife combat skill is a short time frame with large numbers is a hiding for nothing.

The difference between someone who has done a little bit of martial arts, and a person who has done, is that the person who has done none is less predictable, which has its advantages. If they also have more brawn they are in for a good chance. A little bit of self defence/martial arts knowledge can give you false confidence. I know because I have been throught that.

What the military is primarily using martial arts for at the moment is in the peace keeping/law and order capacity, which is another skill set, because to a lesser or greater extent you are considering the wellbeing of the person you are constraining.

RSDavis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2010, 7:33 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Every martial artist should know that pretty much every move has a counter, even ones that might seem infeasible.

How do you get out of a rear-naked choke?

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2010, 11:15 am

RSDavis wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Every martial artist should know that pretty much every move has a counter, even ones that might seem infeasible.

How do you get out of a rear-naked choke?

That depends on your position. If your opponent simply has his hooks in, you can turn into his guard relatively easily. However, if there's a body triangle involved, that gets a lot dicier. Watch Round 3 of the Matt Wiman/Sam Stout fight at UFC 97 for some help there.

Back on topic, I'm a huge MMA fan; you could probably call it my special interest. I collect DVDs and action figues, but want to branch out into other memorabilia, especially ticket stubs, seeing as I haven't been to a live event yet.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2010, 5:25 pm

Sorry for the DP, but this is kind of a big deal, and it's been a few days since my first post, I think...

Anyway, I need your help on something. http://modules.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=misc.SpiritAward If you're over 21, go on this link and vote for Evan Dunham to win the UFC 119 Spirit Award. I have nothing against Ronald McDonald House, but a vote for Chris Lytle is a vote for Autism Speaks, yes, our favorite organization, getting $1,000 in cash. If we all vote for Dunham, it's more likely that AS won't get the money than if we split our votes between Dunham and Serra. If you guys could vote for that, please do so.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 12:26 am

Yes I'm absolutely obsessed with the UFC and MMA in general. I love it. I'm so glad that other aspies enjoy it as well.