Not an NT problem, but a young adult problem?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

therange
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 12:26 pm

I usually post on the love and dating board, but I have something unrelated to talk about now. I noticed that my problem isn't with people, it's with most people under 30 specificially and modern pop culture. I think things are either too fruity - sh*t like Twilight, or too abrasive - rap, or most things can be easily classified in general. When I like a woman or even like talking to a person in their 20s or younger, they don't fall into easy classification. Even young people on this site with Aspergers, a lot of them fall into the emo or goth or metro category. What I like about myself and my brother (who's 25) that if you saw us on the street, we wouldn't fit into any particular group. I kind of look like a nerd I guess, but not in the Screech from Saved By The Bell way, more like in the intelligent guy way, and my brother looks like a guy that could model for Express.

Most people over 30, just look "regular." Regardless of attraction level, you can't classify them. On top of it, if they drink, it isn't to be cool, it's because they genuinely like drinking. There's no one to impress at that age.

I also listen to pre 21st century music and watch shows that have been out of syndication for years. I find myself relating better to people older than myself.

So the point is, I guess, that maybe my problem isn't with NTs, just youth in general. My friend is 27 and I think he's a tool, but I doubt he'll still be living the same life 5 years from now. He'll have to get rid of his drinking buddies and goth friends and think about starting a real life.

Despite my inability to work or blend in well socially, I feel like I'm a 36 year old in a 26 year old body. Anyone else feel the same way?

JSchoolboy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2009, 1:14 pm

therange wrote:
I usually post on the love and dating board, but I have something unrelated to talk about now. I noticed that my problem isn't with people, it's with most people under 30 specificially and modern pop culture. I think things are either too fruity - sh*t like Twilight, or too abrasive - rap, or most things can be easily classified in general. When I like a woman or even like talking to a person in their 20s or younger, they don't fall into easy classification. Even young people on this site with Aspergers, a lot of them fall into the emo or goth or metro category. What I like about myself and my brother (who's 25) that if you saw us on the street, we wouldn't fit into any particular group. I kind of look like a nerd I guess, but not in the Screech from Saved By The Bell way, more like in the intelligent guy way, and my brother looks like a guy that could model for Express.

Most people over 30, just look "regular." Regardless of attraction level, you can't classify them. On top of it, if they drink, it isn't to be cool, it's because they genuinely like drinking. There's no one to impress at that age.

I also listen to pre 21st century music and watch shows that have been out of syndication for years. I find myself relating better to people older than myself.

So the point is, I guess, that maybe my problem isn't with NTs, just youth in general. My friend is 27 and I think he's a tool, but I doubt he'll still be living the same life 5 years from now. He'll have to get rid of his drinking buddies and goth friends and think about starting a real life.

Despite my inability to work or blend in well socially, I feel like I'm a 36 year old in a 26 year old body. Anyone else feel the same way?

You just described my life when I was in my 20s. It was the 1980s, and among other things, I listened to a lot of music from the 1960s and 70s. I would also add fraternities to the category of artificial groups that I found lame and pointless. Well, to be honest, it was the idiots who belonged to the fraternities that I couldn't stand, not so much the concept of a frat. But I digress.

People seem to want to be able to identify themselves as part of a group, even if the group only exists for the purpose of people saying they are part of it. (Hope that makes sense.)

In my experience, this group identification and being swayed by trendy things never really goes away. But as people get older, they do seem to become more willing to express individuality, and more accepting of others who do not conform.

Where you live and what kind of work you do also have a lot to do with how much pressure there is to conform to or to be identified with a particular group.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling.

JSB

"I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you"
- Jimi Hendrix, "If 6 was 9"

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 2:42 pm

I always identified more with people my parent's or grandparent's age. All my friends had white hair.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 2:43 pm

therange wrote:

...Or, they're an alcoholic, or don't know how else to have fun.

I think what you are referring to are the differences between being shallow and having depth. Usually, depth comes from experience, or being able to 'face' your experiences, and most young people haven't really had to suffer, yet. If you lived in a 3rd world country you would probably relate just as well to a 10 year old who has to care for his little brothers and sisters, because his parents are dead as a result of guerilla warfare..., as you would someone older.

Wisdom comes from pain, responsibility, suffering and loss - and looks a lot like 'maturity'... I think...

Last edited by FaithHopeCheese on 17 Dec 2009, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 3:00 pm

Allot of people seem to show their individuality by modifying their behavor and apperance to match others. I don't understand how that's an expression of individuality, but it seems to be what some people are trying to do. Sadly, some never grow out of this behavior.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 4:04 pm

I identify more with with my parents generation, than my own. I like the same things that they grew up with.