Performance at school and support for diagnosed.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 4:47 pm

I know that in some cases, people with Asperger's Syndrome or other ASDs can struggle in school to the extent that they end up with results far unrepresentative of their abilities. I feel this was the case for me at school.

In what ways did (does) your disorder affect your results? Also, what support did (or do) you get with your study? Was it easy, with a diagnosis, to identify what changes to normal learning could be made for you?

RedHorizon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2009, 8:38 pm

I was put on an IEP in Oregon during my 8th grade middle school year (2005) because I was completely out of control. I wouldn't blame myself because that school totally blew; in fact it still does. I've been progressing through high school much better while I've been on it. I didn't do anything above marginal when I was at a huge high school but I managed to get a 3.75 when I moved to a smaller one. I haven't yet achieved that again but it's definitely true what you say about academic performance not correlating to actual potential or intelligence. I was put on my IEP again 3 weeks ago after over a year without it and I'm doing much better. I'd say my greatest issue is living in a divorced family and having a lot of mood issues and health problems.

leschevalsroses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Dec 2009, 9:56 pm

I went to a private school that was really keen on group work and the whole show the teacher that you're trying thing. Teachers always wanted you to go to extra help, and class participation was a biggie. I never talked during class, and having a one-on-one conversation with any of my teachers scared me to death. My teacher's took that to mean I didn't care and thus I got worse grades than I should have. I also misunderstood assignments a lot, especially in English. I never understood what the teachers wanted me to do.