Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 5:50 am

I sometimes feel bad because they work so hard to convince me and, unless my personal analysis of all factors involved results in a "yes", there's no way that they'll be able to influence me. They don't know I'm Autistic, so they attribute their "failure" with me to a flaw in them...

I'm impervious to all of the following:
- establishing raport through smalltalk and thus selling by emotional attachment to the seller
- confusing you with an over-abundant flow of fast speech that you can't normally follow, but you hear the phrase "unique offer, only today" in it a lot.
- guilt-tripping
- dramatizing your situation and therefore your need for their wares
- gentle self-confidence eroding so you'll suspend belief in your own judgement and flow with theirs
- naming important personalities who supposedly buy their wares
- lectures on their products using highly professional, specialized jargon that no one who doesn't work in the field will understand.

I buy if I need the product, if I believe in it and if I can afford it. All the emotional manipulation works zero with me. I feel guilty... :(

"But I'm giving you all this today for only $400!"
"You could be giving me a house for $400 today, and I still don't have the $400."
"What's a house got to do with cosmetics? I don't understand..." 8O

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 6:12 am

Impervious to people would be an apt way to describe me.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 6:45 am

Hard sell doesn't work with me because it overwhelms me and I back away immediately.

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2009, 7:15 am

Aimless wrote:
Hard sell doesn't work with me because it overwhelms me and I back away immediately.

Same here. If I feel I'm being overwhelmed, I tend to back off.

20 Dec 2009, 7:57 am

I hate sales people so I ignore them as I walk by. I just shake my head and keep on walking. I hate the pressure and the guilt trips.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 8:58 am

Aimless wrote:

Right.. and also, I'm just skeptical.
Chances are that if someone is trying very hard to convince you that this is the very best deal, it's not.
Unless it's a clearance or a loss-leader, you're absolutely going to be able to find at least as good a deal again--and if it's either of those, then they're not going to be trying so hard to sell it to you in the first place.

There may be some exceptions, but usually the reason that someone would put pressure on you to buy something now is because if you had time to think about it, you wouldn't buy it.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 9:26 am

I try to avoid them. I worked at a music store once and we were required to greet everyone who came in the door. I hate that, and I had to do it. Who really wants to be talked to when they're shopping?

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 9:30 am

I tend to ignore them, but some do get abusive (the ones selling the Big Issue magazine) If they know they are not going to make a sale. I cave had those saying we've got a case here which is an aspiphobic comment just becase I don't succumb to their neurotypical ways such as guilt tripping etc. :arrow:

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 9:40 am

When I was a child I was easily manipulated but now it doesn't work on me at all. A sales pitch? Don't even waste your breathe because I'm not buying. I've had very slick NT's fly into a rage because I could not be manipulated. My cold, emotionless demeanor was just too much for them.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 10:18 am

I'm pretty much impervious to sales pitches. I know what I want, and why, before I ever set foot in the store. I do my research at home, on the Internet. I normally will make it very clear that I do not want their assistance. I'll turn away from them while making the universal "Stop" gesture with my hand.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2009, 10:23 am

My life as a whole has gotten better since shopping on-line came into existence. When I am in a shop, I am running trade studies and analyses in my head, non-stop. I am not a recreational shopper. Redirecting me from this activity causes irritation and frustration. While I endeavor to not direct this irritation towards the salespeople (who would probably like to just hang out at the back of the store and chat with their friends, but are made to do this), many, many times I will just walk out because I won't shop where they won't leave me alone to think. In the olden days, this left me with no options but catalog shopping, which was cumbersome and only worked if you could get hold of the catalogs in the first place. I tend to shop these days only in the places where they will really, really leave me alone if I request it. I have often wondered if the shop owners persist in making their employees do this because the kind of customer who responds positively to it is the kind who spends the most, and is the customer they want to keep. I am probably the persona non grata type and good riddance.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 11:08 am

But Anna, why good riddance? When I'm left alone and not nudged, I can buy much more and be a lot more loyal than any of those other customers...

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 11:21 am

idiocratik wrote:
I try to avoid them. I worked at a music store once and we were required to greet everyone who came in the door. I hate that, and I had to do it. Who really wants to be talked to when they're shopping?

I like to greeted when entering a shop, lets me know the shop is happy to have me come in.

Now, from the other side of the counter - greeting people is also a loss-prevention tactic, it helps a bit when people realize they've been noticed.

Back to the being talked to - for the most part I like to be left alone, if info is needed I'll ask then.

:arrow: Then there's the hobby shop - visiting and talking is as much a part of going to the store as shopping.
Sometimes the main part :lol:

Greentea wrote:
Are you impervious to sales people?

To directly address that, not 100%. If it is something related to what I came there for sometimes I'll bite.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 11:54 am

They should not take the job if they cannot
handle it.

Maybe they enjoy being abused???

I was in that situation where I did
not have Xhundred dollars and so I
offeered all I had at the time, 6
dollars and they got mean so I had
a tantrum and kicked a chare and kicked
the tibble and AGAIN WITH THE SHOCKED LOOK
on their faces.

My Big Question Of The Century:

"What did they expect?"

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 12:11 pm

Tigger, when they called out of the blue to offer a free facial in my home, first thing I asked them their price level to see if it was within my possibilities. They didn't want to say and insisted it was without any commitment and to just enjoy. They don't have prices in their website either and the cosmetician who came to my home adamantly refused to tell me the price level of the products before the end of the facial. After the facial she revealed the prices: about $150 each little bottle or jar that lasts a couple months. I kept asking her, when she acted so angry that I didn't buy, why they don't reveal the price level before they go to all that trouble. I don't know how they reached me, but probably the fact that I live in a posh neighborhood and always worked in hitech and my credit card is corporate told them all they THOUGHT they needed to know. They should've known that many hitech people are nowadays unemployed and totally broke, like me. It's their marketing people who are complete idiots.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2009, 12:14 pm

Greentea wrote:
But Anna, why good riddance? When I'm left alone and not nudged, I can buy much more and be a lot more loyal than any of those other customers...

Indeed! I think they would find this out if they would allow me to shop the way I need to. But then again, I am not a big consumer of anything (except maybe running socks). And I do return to the places that treat me right. The places that think they don't need my bucks are the places I go as a last resort when I need something (usually clothing) immediately. Looking around these places, it is obvious that I am not "their kind" of customer (ie, I'm over 40). I'm sure that they don't deliberately intend to discourage me, but they just don't respond to the idea that I need a measure of peace to consider a purchase. It is too difficult for them to do something differently. Dress Barn's loss is Land's End's gain, when all I need is a simple pair of pants.