Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:07 am

In a book i wrote, a race of aliens *eventually) come to earth and tell the humans that our religions are a lie and our creators and their creators are one in the same
(hence why they look so similar)
After some minor setbacks (us trying to keep our culture and whatnot intact and not letting them destroy our monuments and way of life) their leader eventually grows impatient and wishes our destruction, unless one of us can beat her in a "swordfight" (basically)
so, to put it bluntly, "god" comes down and beats her-so she orders a complete shelling of the planet
(he came down because he felt responsible for why the aliens were here)
we all die

or it is so assumed

my question is, how would you all feel if such a thing happened (you know before we all die)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:44 am

Kilroy wrote:
In a book i wrote, a race of aliens *eventually) come to earth and tell the humans that our religions are a lie and our creators and their creators are one in the same
(hence why they look so similar)
After some minor setbacks (us trying to keep our culture and whatnot intact and not letting them destroy our monuments and way of life) their leader eventually grows impatient and wishes our destruction, unless one of us can beat her in a "swordfight" (basically)
so, to put it bluntly, "god" comes down and beats her-so she orders a complete shelling of the planet
(he came down because he felt responsible for why the aliens were here)
we all die

or it is so assumed

my question is, how would you all feel if such a thing happened (you know before we all die)

What a sh*tty plot.

ruveyn

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:53 am

oh well thays about 2% of the total plot
and I dumbed it down so you all could understand ;)

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 6:16 pm

Ruveyn, while I'm sure that Kilroy appreciates your honesty, it wasn't a nice thing to say.

Kilroy,

Your book will probably offend most of the religions of the world (hence it's probably not going to be a bestseller).

Do your aliens really "Know" the truth or are they just imposing their beliefs (their truth) on others further down the food chain, much as the missionaries did when deposing pagan religions. The destruction of monuments etc suggests that it might be the case.

If someone came down and imposed their beliefs, without total and absolute proof, then you could be certain that the people of earth would fight them to the death. If anything, it would make religion stronger. It might bring religions together against a common enemy but it's more likely to encourage a free-for-all religious war.

If however, someone was to prove that God didn't exist and that there was no heaven etc, you might find that a lot of society's morals would break down. People who are only "good" because they want to get to heaven would feel free to break from their social confines. I know people who deny themselves everything in the name of religion. They'd probably go crazy and certainly become violent if it were taken away.

Of course, regardless of what option occurred, there would still be lots of people who refuse to change their beliefs.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 7:08 pm

the aliens simply assume as their creators simply took the credit-there isn't absolute proof, even to them-
not that they care

these aliens are evil, psychopathic and well generally unpleasant
they impose their will on everything, regardless if is true or not-anything that refuses to submit-dies
they don't care
they're the bad guys here-they don't even know where they go when they die
they don't have any faith to speak of

*and this is a sci fi book so, you know its not my personal beliefs on anything, its just a story, this part is the last 2 books in the multi book graphic novel series*

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 7:23 pm

How about instead of a sword fight, the aliens possess certain humans, and these humans must choose to either be possessed by them and in return they get special powers on earth or they must face a spiritual battle within themselves. This could manifest as mental illness perhaps.

These powers that the aliens give humans are like vampire powers maybe, or maybe they just become very successful materially. So, for example, let's say an alien possesses a human and gives him extraordinary musical talent but in return he must forgo God and reject all the transcendental characteristics of the good gods. haha

People are really into vampires right now, so I thought it would be a good idea to create a daemon/genie spin on it.

Here is a theme song for this idea:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFDXSGZ7r_k[/youtube]

-Pythagoras

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 7:29 pm

that sounds like a lot of work for a race who doesn't care lol

the sword fight is one of their ancient customs

gods in this story aren't as we see them
they actually come from another dimension, and lost most of their power when they come to this end
they can go back and forth but its hard for them to
not to mention there's only like 10 of them left