Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sell the Vatican feed the world?
The Vatican should not sell its holy treasures as those are intrinsically valuable to keep in church hands. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
The Vatican should not sell its holy treasures as those are important for maintaining the majesty of the Catholic church, or for other pragmatic ends. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Vatican should do whatever the heck it wants with its treasures, as it is Vatican property and nobody should try to tell the church what to do. 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
The Vatican should sell its holy treasures because in the end that will help the vitality of the church by showing its commitment for caring for the world. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Vatican is morally obligated to sell its holy treasures so long as poor people exist, due to the existence of Bible verses in favor of giving up wealth for the sake of the poor. 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
All people are morally obligated to sell their worldly goods to better the poor so long as the poor still exist. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Show me the results 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 21

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 7:18 am

What is the difference between a velocity and a displacement?
What is the difference between an income and a heap of cash?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 7:22 am

sartresue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

"Liquidating" in the vernacular of the hitman?

No. Dismantling the organization, closing the churches and having the past pedophile priest turn out the lights on his way out.

ruveyn

A tough sell topic

An idea might be to rent out these valuables to different museums, and make the money available to poor parishes in order to help the people become self sustaining. Kind of like that new thing that involves buying something for the poor that will help them in their own country to generate income, like a cow, a clean water well, a rickshaw, a scholarship, building schools, etc. Religion in action. :)

For Catholics, I think that renting out the items to museums would be unthinkable. However, they could budget more of their income towards such initiatives as you mention.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 9:30 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

What's the difference between a heap of cash and a heap of food?

Believe it or not, having a buttload of money doesn't mean that you can cure the worlds' ills. Part of our problem, as a society, is that we think that throwing money at a problem will solve it. This goes with the idea of treating the symptoms, not the disease.

Moreover, even if a heap of cash were able to feed the hungry for some time, what happens when, say, the Ogallala aquifer runs out?

How about this? Sell the Vatican to finance Mars colonial expeditions, use Mars for farming, and bring the food back here. Or research turning space stations into colonies, move our cities into space, and leave Earth for farming and natural resources.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 1:16 pm

I'd like to ammend this proposition:

- The buyers must be museums, collectors, or other parties with a resolve and ability to maintain the artifacts.
- The money should go to sustainable developmental agencies that are verifiably efficient in administration.
- A portion of the sales should go to compensating victims of Priest sex crimes.

Although, I like ruveyn's idea of dismantling the Church, with one qualification: turn the Vatican into the "European Museum of Roman Catholicism".

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 1:23 pm

MrLoony wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

What's the difference between a heap of cash and a heap of food?

Believe it or not, having a buttload of money doesn't mean that you can cure the worlds' ills. Part of our problem, as a society, is that we think that throwing money at a problem will solve it. This goes with the idea of treating the symptoms, not the disease.

Moreover, even if a heap of cash were able to feed the hungry for some time, what happens when, say, the Ogallala aquifer runs out?

How about this? Sell the Vatican to finance Mars colonial expeditions, use Mars for farming, and bring the food back here. Or research turning space stations into colonies, move our cities into space, and leave Earth for farming and natural resources.

If you're going to spend money on changing an environment to produce food the Sahara Desert, Antarctica and the oceans of Earth have a far better capability and availability than Mars for producing food. Shipping food on an interplanetary basis is so impractical it is insane.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 2:46 pm

But I like Mars...

Actually, I was going to point out the possible farming of Antarctica. I do agree that interplanetary shipping or space colony shipping would be a nightmare, but it's a lot cooler than farming Antarctica.

Of course, to farm in the ocean, you really don't need to do anything to the ocean or build any absurd structures. Seaweed farming, yo. I'm not sure what the production would be vs. building the weird structures and farming say, wheat, but the option is already there.

I think the main point to take away from my posts is this: You need to increase food production to solve the problem of a lack of food. This is why starvation was such a problem for the Confederacy during the American Civil War.

Oh, and one last thing: Don't be blaming the Vatican for not solving world hunger. How many of you have a backyard? How many of you plant carrots or tomatoes or lettuce? How many of you raise chickens, or edible worms (which can be raised in an apartment)? How many of any of those do you send off to Africa to feed the hungry? I thought so. The problem can't be fixed by one single person doing something major. It needs to be fixed by a large number of people doing little things to make a small amount of progress. It's the little things that change the world, but everyone seems to focus on "large things" and give them credit.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 3:14 pm

Along the same lines of the title of this thread: Sell Microsoft.