Do You Dislike People Getting Physically Close You You?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do You Dislike It When People Get Really Close To You?
Yes, it makes me very uncomfortable. 76%  76%  [ 37 ]
It sometimes annoys me, but isn't a big deal. 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
I don't care either way. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I kind of like being close to people. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I get close to people all the time, and get accused of invading personal space 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 49

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Dec 2009, 3:40 pm

Yes, I dislike people getting physically close to me (assuming I haven't asked them to.) I am very conscious of the boundaries of my personal space. I also hate it if people walk too close behind me - since I can't see them, my anxiety is multiplied.

As PunkyKat said, I can feel people's presence - sort of like an electrical charge - maybe it's just their body heat. When they get close enough for me to feel it, it creeps me out. If they get close enough for me to feel them breathing down my neck, I just about crawl out of my skin.

I had a bandmaster in the Army who would always stand about six inches too close to people when he was talking to them. It was all I could do to keep from backing up (if I did, he would step forward.) Just about drove me crazy.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 2:33 pm

I generally dislike it, but it depends upon the person, the situation and the context.

Anyone walking into my workspace will set me off--especially as the entry is behind and to the left of me. I try and work sideways to my desk when I can, to be able to see the entry with my peripheral vision.

On the other hand, sharing a sofa with a friend while watching a DVD is generally okay.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 3:05 pm

I have this problem pretty much all the time and it does piss me off when people are so close to me even though there is lots of room elsewhere.