Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pencapchew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Dec 2009, 4:58 am

i have never posted a new topic on here before but after discovering this video on youtube i felt compelled to share it...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY&sns=em[/youtube]

...am a great fan of Tool... truly awe-inspiring.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 7:00 am

Though I love the song and the album it's on to bits, I somehow imagine the whole Fibonacci sequence thing was just a joke played on fans who may take it too seriously. It kind of fits in with what I gathered about the band's sense of humour.

pencapchew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Dec 2009, 8:21 am

i agree with the whole joke bit and the bands sense of humour... for example on the aenima album the 'die eier von satan' song, the tone of it conjures up images of hitler speeches, but when translated is just a recipe for hash cookies lol... regarding the fibonacci post, i had only jus discovered this one and it kinda made me go "oooooooh" lol

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 1:46 pm

There may be some circular logic taking place here.

Fibonacci sequences occur in nature all the time. The sequence was originally conceived (no pun intended) as a model for examining population growth. Its numbers can be seen in the layers of a pine cone, as well as all manner of organic structures.

Classical art and architecture frequently made use of Fibonacci numbers, producing the "Golden Section" which the Greeks believed to be the perfect architectural proportion.

The numbers appear in music, seconds, thirds, fifths and octaves are all important harmonic steps. So when the numbers appear in rhythmic devices, we should hardly be surprised.

And let's not forget, Bela Bartok had already done it, notably the first movement from Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 2:26 pm

visagrunt wrote:
And let's not forget, Bela Bartok had already done it, notably the first movement from Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta

Maybe he did it to show off/have a laugh as well, for all we know.