Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2006, 4:57 pm

What is it with NTs ignoring people they don't want to hear from?

Too often I've tried to contact someone and they just give me the cold shoulder. Meanwhile I'm on the other end and I can't see their reaction... it's very frustrating, especially if they know something that I need to know.

What do you guys think?

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2006, 5:04 pm

It happens to me with telephones - I think anything technological can cause this anxiety.

Technology (including computers and telephones) sometimes seem to be there to keep us further away from each other.

CHAOS
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2006, 11:34 pm

I get this two. Although it's not in person I feel as if I am talk to them in person and they aren't even looking at me.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 5:40 pm

Well when you're talking to someone over the phone, there is already that barrier there and I think some people utilise this to create an even bigger one if they are intentionally trying to get rid of someone because this is very easy or, like edgey123 says, this may be an anxious reaction to technology as opposed to an ignorant one or pulling the cold shoulder. Like you say you cant see someones reaction on the other end of the phone so it can be difficult to say.

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2006, 5:29 am

Yeah, being ignored sucks. :( What I find happens to me is if I stand in a group say in a circle or something, I will get shouldered out or closed out of it by people moving and so I'm stuck on the outside pretty much so I'm intentionally shut out. If I try and work my way back in or ask for the person next to me to move over a little they usually pretend they didn't hear so I just give up. I can relate to the quote saying that "it's not pleasant to be ignored, even if the attention is not wanted" so often. I'll often start saying something and then realise that no one was listening at all when a new conversation takes over from me about a completely different topic.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2006, 7:09 am

I hate being ignored when I am telling the truth. Once the bin was pushed out of our science classroom, and three girls said that I stole it. Actually I just puched it back up due to it being knocked over. But they didn't believe me. Some people just can't take the truth and only misbelieve it just to be sarcastic/rude.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2006, 1:36 pm

Yes, this happens to me alot. I'm 38 years old and when I'm with a group, say at church, I get left out because of what I say, or don't say. "Hey, what did you think of the pastor's take on the doctrine of predestination? People look at me like I'm from a different planet. I think it odd that no one wants to discuss what you've just gotten up early, "dressed up", and drove to sit and listen to for an hour or more. Maybe it's a social blunder to have a different idea than the minister or to add any more information about what he has preached on. Maybe church isn't a good example of a social setting. It's kind of weird to me. I guess I'm a rebel and will never do the 'small-talk' thing just for the sake of being polite and accepted because I feel that once you get past the small talk there will still be the problem of relating. The small-talk only stalls the eventual reality. I do small-talk for people at the grocery store or while waiting in a long line or something but we both know we are not going to try to understand one another or start up a relationship there.

night
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2006, 1:00 pm

Today something happenned at the university that really irritated me. There was a new girl I got to know only recently (actually she's the one who introduced herself because I'm not good at initiating conversations or introducing myself to people). Today I saw her and tried to talk to her, and guess what happenned? She didn't even look at me, then a minute later she grabbed her mobile phone and started talking to someone. The only thing she said to me was "hi" without saying anything further, I felt like an idiot standing there. So I noticed how ignored I was and I went somewhere else.
Later on that day I saw her meet a bunch of people with so much excitement. Honestly I thought maybe she was busy and that she might talk to me later on today maybe saying, "sorry I had to make a phone call etc.." But typically, just like everybody else I met, she didn't. I feel sad :(

slumlord
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2006, 3:31 pm

If you expect too much from people you will always be dissapointed. The thing is the less you expect from others as far as compassion, understanding or acceptance the less problems you will have in the long run. They pass their judgement onto you as soon as they meet you and feel better of themselves once they shun you. Social wickedness. It's just pure human nature and will never change.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2006, 5:38 pm

I sometimes get ignored, or it may seem that way to me. If I am talking to somebody in class and I don't acknowledge that I am talking to them and I am looking at them, they either don't know who is talking to them, or i might've said it too soft for them to hear me. Also, what really bothers me is when I talk to my mom and sister and they don't respond, I don't know if they got it or not, but what really happens is that they do hear me but they don't say anything. I hate that. I wish people, even if they don't have anything to say back, they can at least acknowledge that they heard me so I can quit worrying whether or not i'm being ignored.

X
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2006, 3:57 am

I, for some inexplicable reason, have a horrible fear of speaking people's names. Thus, sometimes people do not realize that I am speaking to them.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 1:10 pm

Aaron_Mason wrote:
What is it with NTs ignoring people they don't want to hear from?

Too often I've tried to contact someone and they just give me the cold shoulder. Meanwhile I'm on the other end and I can't see their reaction... it's very frustrating, especially if they know something that I need to know.

What do you guys think?

I've had that done to me too. It's not just on the phone that people ignore me my parents ignore me when I start ranting or just going on and on. It's really annoying for them not to be listening. It's not really fair to know that I haven't been talking to anyone for all day and I want to talk to anyone but no I don't really get what I want. My fiance' get's really ticked off when people won't listen to her and make eye contact with her. She'll pester the person to death if she has to get their attention. In regrads to what I think yeah it's really unfair that you don't even have a single clue to what of their reactions. If there was for every phone in the world to have cameras attached to phones on each line then you could see the other person's reactions.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2006, 7:36 pm

What I find really hard is when you bump into someone, or pass someone - usually the two of you would speak to each other. But suddenly, you bump into them or pass them on any one occasion and then they totally ignore you, don't say hello, or don't say hello back. It almost seems like some sort of game to me. I find this situation really hard. Do you know what I mean?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2006, 9:50 pm

I have the opposite problem.

I never reply to text messages because I can never be bothered but it's not like i don't like or not care about the person.. they get offended though.

I understand though, people ignore me but I try not to take it personally but its hard not too.. It's ended in tears a lot. Then I just try to tell myself to get a grip >_<

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2006, 10:25 pm

Bland wrote:
Yes, this happens to me alot. I'm 38 years old and when I'm with a group, say at church, I get left out because of what I say, or don't say. "Hey, what did you think of the pastor's take on the doctrine of predestination? People look at me like I'm from a different planet. I think it odd that no one wants to discuss what you've just gotten up early, "dressed up", and drove to sit and listen to for an hour or more. Maybe it's a social blunder to have a different idea than the minister or to add any more information about what he has preached on. Maybe church isn't a good example of a social setting. It's kind of weird to me. I guess I'm a rebel and will never do the 'small-talk' thing just for the sake of being polite and accepted because I feel that once you get past the small talk there will still be the problem of relating. The small-talk only stalls the eventual reality. I do small-talk for people at the grocery store or while waiting in a long line or something but we both know we are not going to try to understand one another or start up a relationship there.

The shallowness of the average human being....
It's depressing, isn't it?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2006, 5:32 pm

Keeno wrote:
What I find really hard is when you bump into someone, or pass someone - usually the two of you would speak to each other. But suddenly, you bump into them or pass them on any one occasion and then they totally ignore you, don't say hello, or don't say hello back. It almost seems like some sort of game to me. I find this situation really hard. Do you know what I mean?

Oh, totally. I get that all the time. Really annoying and frustrating.

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse