Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 4:20 pm

Anyone playing this? I'm trying to like it, I'm really trying, 'cause it should be my sort of thing... big open world, post apocalyptic fun, open-ended character design... but I don't. :( Too many silly restrictions and the open endedness is more "open ended so long as you don't attempt to go anywhere where the bad guys aren't two levels above you, or you die, and don't make the wrong (and irrevocable) skill choices or you're out of luck."

The year is still young.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Dec 2009, 8:43 pm

But at least it doesn't have fairies, wands, and elves right?

The former things have passed away."

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 5:25 am

It doesn't. Though there are a bunch of E.L.F.S. around at the moment. ^^

So far as I can tell trying to use a rifle means you're automatically in trouble, because they have the standard computer game ranged weapon debuff (effective range ~ 20m instead of ~ 200m) and worse, they also debuff your ability to fight in melee, meaning that any melee character (which is all of them, when you're limited to a single-shot crossbow with 20m range :? ) who gets within range is deadly. Playing as a melee char is a bit more survivable, but silly.

Ach, well, I'm persevering at least until I clear the starter area.

The year is still young.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2009, 6:53 am

I played in the beta, haven't played it in release. Rifles and guns in general were always bad. I don't know if taking damage still interrupts your aim but it used to, making fighting enemy ranged hell.

The game is crafter centric so if you don't mind going around for hours collecting materials and crafting while exploring it can be fun, I enjoyed that. The combat needed a bit of work though, ranged combat sucked hard. There was also a distinct lack of content, PvP and group content was non existent in beta, it was there but not worth doing.

I felt the quest NPC's were also wordy and they seemed to rely on "safe english", they had no accents or quirks, just blurted out paragraphs of well spoken dialogue for quests. To me this contributed a large part to the game lacking personality.

Again this was from my beta experience, game may have changed some.