Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2006, 9:02 pm

WoooooooHooooooooooo!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2006, 9:18 pm

whoa, weird, this is right near my college town 8O

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2006, 9:54 pm

This is an awesome story. I saw the video clip from Good Moring America. I found an even better one on another news site but later could not find it. (darn) It had bits of an interview with the boy. What really impressed me was that the kids at that school loved the kid and the spectators had signs with his face on them that they waved during the game, despite the fact that he had never played before. He's a lucky guy. I wonder what they're doing so right in that school or town?

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 4:10 pm

That doesnt really surprise me, no doubt he has bullies but autistics are generally seen as more disabled then aspies and therefore dont face the same problems we do. Though I am sorta mad that the coach wont play him in the playoffs :(!

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2006, 12:43 am

"This is the first moment Jason has ever succeeded (and could be) proud of himself," reflects Debbie McElwain. "I look at autism as the Berlin Wall, and he cracked it."

That seems like a very mean thing for his mother to say :(.

And Im suprised that this hasnt gotten more national media attention 6 3s and 20 points in 4 minutes has to be some kind of high school record.

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2006, 6:31 pm

Click below to see a clip regarding this story. There's some footage from the game!

http://www.youtube.com/w/Autistic-baske ... =1&t=t&f=b

PinkPanther
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2006, 12:21 pm

Autistic Basketball Manager Star Meets Bush

President Bush is the latest in a string of high-profile fans to call on Jason McElwain, the autistic basketball manager who drew national cheers by scoring 20 points in four minutes for his high school team. On his way to Canandaigua, N.Y., Tuesday to speak at Medicare events, Bush stopped at an airport near here and greeted McElwain — accompanied by his parents and coach — and called him "a special person."

"Our country was captivated by an amazing story on the basketball court," the president told reporters gathered on the tarmac, his arm draped around the 17-year-old senior, with Air Force One, the presidential jet, in the background. "It's the story of a young man who found his touch on the basketball court, which in turn touched the hearts of citizens all around the country." The president joked that if his aging body would let him return to the basketball court, he'd want a lesson from McElwain.

Bush said he learned about McElwain from seeing him on TV. "I wept, just like a lot of other people did," he said, as McElwain beamed beside him.

Full story... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187823,00.html

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2006, 6:51 pm

I have a few things to say about this:
Everyone (including, sadly, the boy's mother) seem to be under the impression that his Autism was some sort of permanent crippling disability (or in some idiots' words, "disease") that he "struggled to overcome."
This is in no way true.
The boy simply had talent and was good at basketball. The fact that he was Autistic should be irrelevant.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2006, 8:40 pm

I read in one story concerning this that the reason why he wasn't on the team was not becasue he was autistic, but becasue he was too short.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2006, 9:16 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:

You should go meet him and tell him to come here, we could use a famous autie here :).

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2006, 8:08 am

Endersdragon wrote:
AbominableSnoCone wrote:

You should go meet him and tell him to come here, we could use a famous autie here :).

I want to be famous. :(