Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

01 Jan 2010, 10:35 pm

that sounds like fun!! Sorry I missed the last one ...I just found this thread.

Awakening from the sleepless dream

Underwater, seeing the the social surface above me flickering like blobs and dashes

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 11:28 pm

Do you want to do 9 lines again? If so, I would like to just have people throw in lines and we can tweak it at the end. By that I mean, we can rearrange and edit it after we free associate some poetry.

Awakening from the sleepless dream. It's about awakening to the fuller awareness of consciousness? Underwater seems to suggest that this person is feeling engulfed by the social surface. That is how I see it. What did you mean by blobs and dashes? Is it that you can't fully comprehend NT's or social structures? I said dancing lights awaken me because the playfulness and curiosity of the lights above the water stirs the dream to wake up.

Underwater, seeing the the social surface above me flickering like blobs and dashes

Dancing lights awaken me.

-Pythagoras

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Jan 2010, 1:31 am

note on my line:

ya it was how I felt at the time. The water is my inner world, the air, earth is the social world...I am looking up from underwater seeing blobs and dashes which are the hard to make out social forms and dashes (movement=intent)
and I am waking up from my world looking at the social world through the distortion of autism (the surface of the water)

Thanks for letting me join in on another poem...I love poetry,

Jojo

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 4:44 am

I really like your line. I've been thinking about your original title. It's interesting. I took the meaning too literally perhaps.

Would you mind doing the next line and let me interpret it? I love to interpret poetry. Sometimes there is no interpretation though, but you seem to have that dream like symbolism in your words which makes it possible to analyze. Tell me if I am wrong.

-Pythagoras

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 5:23 am

wet messages melting inside swirling bubbles lift beyond the surface... seeking a viewer before bursting...alone and detached from me.

I never thought of my poetry as dream symbolism...but you may be right. I dream alot, very vividly and most night's too. It is a part of my life's experience...some dreams have changed me.

Sorry so late in my reply....I need to discontinue my internet company contract and get a new service....this is the worst internet service...enough of that. By the way, I am JoAnne...kinda new here and have been having troubling finding friends.

Jojo

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 12:40 am

wet messages melting inside swirling bubbles lift beyond the surface... seeking a viewer before bursting...alone and detached from me.

That is very beautiful. This is pretty self-evident that you are facing social anxiety. What is in the water? I used to have dreams about being underwater. I used to swim with dolphins. They went away when I joined the humans. I can see why you don't want to leave the water just yet. I look back on those dreams fondly, like lost childhood/innocence.

-Pythagoras

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 12:35 am

Sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner...my internet was down

Anyway,
The water is my world...my inner world. I like it there because it is safe. Social anxiety...yeah some. Sometimes I am very social and other times I am a hermit of sorts. It just depends which way the wind blows at the moment.
But in this poem...I am reflecting on moments when I am feeling reclusive yet wanting to be social too...its kinda of a inner battle to be on the fence between both worlds. Right now, I live in this tourist town...we moved here this may...and the people here are very indifferent and stand offish to anyone that has not been born and raised here 6 generations back. They could probably care less if I died tomorrow. I never been some place that I felt so unloved and unimportant as I do here. This has driven me further into my world (the water)...while I am still struggling to reach out to these people...what I say just melts in thin air...and my words are alone and detached...out of my world and invisible an unimportant in theirs

how bout you? Do you want to add the next line. Use visual imagery in your mind. Pick an image....then describe how it looks and feels, smells or sounds...give the image life.

Jojo

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 10:49 am

I would rather you finish the poem jojobean. It's a great theme you started. I can relate to the social anxiety.

-Pythagoras

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 9:36 pm

One message swayed, rocking itself to sleep as it reached my liquid cocoon. My hand swallows air as I grabbed my words...My spirit breathed the naked air.

Ok, what am I saying here? Clue: pay attention to the hand that breathes air. (not in the water either)

I find that water is a very frequent reoccuring theme in what I write. I think it is because when I was a kid, I was semi-paralized on my left side. Not totally, but to where there was a definate weakness on my left side of my body. The physical therapist decided that I needed individualized swimming lessons for about 3 years to correct that. So that is what I did. Water healed my body, so water imagery comes up a lot in my work...usually in poems about growth, healing, change and defining my inner world.

I kinda like adding a new line each day...so I can concentrate on just that line (or two). I also like teaching you along the way. If you want me to finish...that is ok. But it would be really cool if you could try to interpet each line. That way it can still be a collaberation of sorts.

What do you think?

Jojo

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 10:05 pm

ooh...this is fun!

Next time, don't give me any insights until after I interpret it, okay?

Quote:
One message swayed, rocking itself to sleep as it reached my liquid cocoon. My hand swallows air as I grabbed my words...My spirit breathed the naked air.

One message swayed- You were weighing the message, analyzing it...What was the message? It could be anything at this point. :wink:

rocking itself to sleep- You were tired of thinking about it and then when you released yourself from thinking about it...it became born and will metamorphose into something you will get your answer to?

My hand swallows air as I grabbed at words- You are back now to the outside social scene, you can't find the words to speak. You became naked in front of the people, a humbling experience.

-Pythagoras

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Underwater, seeing the the social surface above me
flickering like blobs and dashes
Dancing lights awaken me
wet messages melting inside swirling bubbles lift
beyond the surface... seeking a viewer before bursting...
alone and detached from me.
One message swayed,
rocking itself to sleep as it reached my liquid cocoon.
My hand swallows air as I grabbed my words...
My spirit breathed the naked air.

-Pythagoras

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 4:19 am

Hey it worked out pretty well...even though I did not look at the line before each one!

So what is your favorite poem?

Mine is "Noiseless Patient Spider" by Walt Whitman-I usually dont like his stuff, but I love that poem
Second is "I shall Rise" by Maya Angelo -I read her entire works...she is amazing

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 6:24 pm

I don't know jojo, you and summer are pretty kick ass. I still want you to write another line.
My favorite poem is always changing. Right now I like you and Ms. Doolittle.

Share |

Heat

User Rating:

5.8 /10
(6 votes)

0 Print friendly version

0 E-mail this poem to e friend

0 Send this poem as eCard

0 Add this poem to MyPoemList

O wind, rend open the heat,
cut apart the heat,
rend it to tatters.

Fruit
cannot drop
through this thick air--
fruit cannot fall into heat
that presses up and blunts
the points of pears
and rounds the grapes.

Cut the heat--
plough through it,
turning it on either side
of your path.

-Pythagoras

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 6:26 pm

Oh, and Ms. Doolittle is not well known. Interpret her poem if you like my thread.

-Pythagoras

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:00 am

Ok well I read the poem about 2 hours ago, and I thought about it

At first it is about the heat and the need for relief from it, but after thinking about it,
it is about being in a rut...the heat is a rut and the wind is "a breath of fresh air" so to speak and change...the fruit is nourshment and the wind (change) is the only thing that can make it accessible (to knock it out of the tree)
and her desire is to get some movement in her life. Extreme heat can really dull your sences...when it is hot like that...everyone is in fog and dont really want to do anything. Its like life slows down to a stop in order to just cope with the temperture (sp)

I came to this conclusion about her poem from when I lived in Georgia and it gets up to 108 degrees for 2-3 weeks in August. And with those digits....life comes to a halt...and it is mostly about survival. And I would really get into a rut...because all I did was stay inside with the A/C and even that did not cool it enough, so I would just sit there with fans on me and read, sleep, or be on the computer. Life as I know it is waiting for it to get cooler.

How do you think I did on my interpretation?

Thanks for adding me to your lists of favorite poets, that means a lot to me.

I am wanting to publish, but I have to look at it like a career instead of a hobby to do that.

Ohh I have an idea for fun! How 'bout you give me 5 words...any words you can think of. Make them interesting words, daring words, or unusual words, and I will make a short poem out of them. Cool huh?!? I love poetry games.

Have fun,

Jojo