Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 10:58 am

Magnus wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
pakled wrote:
I'm a bibliophile, if that's what you mean...;)

same here. can't really call myself a "geek" as I read it all, the good stuff and the really terrible stuff just for the fun of it. I made a new year's resolution to read 100 books in 2010, but it might be a bit too over-ambitious so I think I might just go with "minimum of 75" :P

ditto

I read about 200 books a year though. Most of them are non-fictional. I like to read 3 books at a time. I don't have cable. Movies are cool, but I like to use my imagination more so than rely on outside stimulation. Books/words have a way of speaking to me on a different level than visual entertainment value. Plus, I like to toss my books around the house...read a little bit and put it away. Perhaps it's ADD? :lol: Reading is faster than talking too...

so that's like 1 book every 1.8 days?! 8O whoa!

I wish I had that much time to read. I made 100 easily as a student but I had over 100 books each year on the curriculum.

I might download some PDF books that I could sneakily read on my work computer :chin:

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 11:52 am

Lately I haven't be reading so much. In the past I'd read a book a day. The last book I read was the Imprinted Brain. That was about two weeks ago. I guess I won't be reading as many books this year.

-Pythagoras

Snazzlestick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2010, 12:29 pm

Magnus wrote:
Snazzlestick wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Snazzlestick wrote:
I used to read so much as a kid, books were my escape from the world. Was able to read as many as 5 books a day 8) Now my attention span is too short to focus properly on anything :?

Sometimes I have no attention span to read. I think it's the medicine I'm on...
When I wasn't on medication, I devoured books.

I'm the opposite. I was able to concentrate more when I was on meds. I think I need to go on them again.

What meds are you on, if I can ask?

Abilify and Zoloft. I feel great though! Ultra mellow these days. Kinda dumb... :lol:

What helped you study?

Citalopram did. Sorta. Unfortunately it completely cut off my sex drive too :lol:

The blues are because you're getting fat, and maybe it's been raining too long. You're just sad, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid, and you don't know what you're afraid of.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 12:30 pm

I'd rather be able to study than have a high sex drive. :lol:

-Pythagoras

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2010, 1:04 pm

Concerta XL and me are best of friends. That pill is a wonder drug for my terrible concentration.

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2010, 6:45 pm

I went misdiagnosed for so long that it's safe to say that books helped me survive. So I will always be in their debt. I cannot even imagine a year that I read less than 100 books or have less than 3-5 books going at once. Usually what causes me to switch back and forth is whether I can emotionally handle a particular path a book is on. If it breaks my heart enough then I will need to calm down with another book for a while until I am ready to come back to it. So that and a fascination with a new book I may have acquired cause me to juggle books a lot. But it has been nice to have that peace, there is nothing wrong with needing medication, but I am glad that I can obtain peace without it.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 1:37 am

I really don't count the books I read, I read the books I like....;)

and that has made all the difference.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Jan 2010, 2:23 am

I am not a typical litature geek...however, I cant get enough of great poetry from all ages, all gendres and all cultures . I even have some books on prehistoric poetry...very kinky I may add. The reason I love poetry is because 1) alot said in less space,
2) poets can get away saying with anything, 3) a fly has a longer attention span than I do and poems are short enough to keep my attention while deep enough to make me think for a long time. 4) poets can get away with saying anything...did I already say that???

anyway...I have a mini poetry library

jojo

Netish
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2010, 12:41 pm

I've been accused of loving books more than people. The local library is my second home, I even volunteer there sometimes. I also go to libraries all over the county...I have a thing about libraries because of the books. Books are my life.

I shouldn't neglect to mention all the stuff I read online too though...

pigeon309
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2010, 7:02 pm

Yes, I could be called a literature geek, especially when it comes to poetry.

heckeler06
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 12:38 am

I adore books. I collect some, got a few hard-to-find copies. I wish I could read 100 or so a year, usually depression slows my progress, I get distracted, or headaches overwhelm me.

Favorite styles of books: Russian lit, specifically soviet literature (but I'm still finding more and more books to learn), French existential lit (also branching into OuLiPo), and drug literature, like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Confessions of an English Opium Eater, Opium: The Diary of his cure, and such.

I can't make up my mind about the "classics"; I either love them or hate them.

--David

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 11:28 pm

Oooohhh, I thought this thread was going to be about who has actually read the classics of literature ....

I was quite enamored of a young lady in Uni who was reading Moby Dick. I was quite impressed, but she wasn't interested in me. I have read most of James Joyce 'Ulysses', however. And of course almost all of Poe and Lovecraft.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 7:44 pm

Descartes30 wrote:
I read between 200-300 books per year, re-reading many of my favorites along with discovering new ones.

That. I'm addicted to books and I read very fast.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 11:07 pm

Reading is my favorite activity, hands down. More so even than eating or sex. I was lucky - my mom was a librarian at a community college and brought stacks of books home for me to read from an early age.

I can't fall asleep at night without a book to read. I honestly think I would have gone insane by now if I couldn't read.

I'm a book whore. I'll read anything. I just go to the library and pick out books at random, and part of the fun is that some are very, very good. I love discovering great writers.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2010, 5:55 am

count me in! though I can't appreciate modern lit which requires emotional understanding (read Jodi Piccoult or cultural authors.) To me they lack intellectual substance. Used to be a Bernard Shaw fan, Aldous Huxley and still am into Charlotte Bronte's Villette. The last has emotional understanding but it is individualistic.

LukeInFlames
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2010, 6:26 pm

heckeler06 wrote:
I adore books. I collect some, got a few hard-to-find copies. I wish I could read 100 or so a year, usually depression slows my progress, I get distracted, or headaches overwhelm me.

Favorite styles of books: Russian lit, specifically soviet literature (but I'm still finding more and more books to learn), French existential lit (also branching into OuLiPo), and drug literature, like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Confessions of an English Opium Eater, Opium: The Diary of his cure, and such.

I can't make up my mind about the "classics"; I either love them or hate them.

--David

That's fantastic... this is the first time i've ever heard anyone name-drop OuLiPo in casual conversation. Who are your favourite authors in this area? Mine are Georges Perec, and Raymond Queneau. I really need to pick up the anthologies-in-translation that exist, and find some more.

ta,

Luke.