How you met your significant other

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2010, 3:47 pm

All I can say is everyone of you are lucky, enough said. I prefer to find an NT, but not on the web though. These are my opinions.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jan 2010, 4:08 pm

FreeSpirit2000 wrote:
All I can say is everyone of you are lucky, enough said. I prefer to find an NT, but not on the web though. These are my opinions.

I beg to differ! :) I like to think that hard work, not luck, led to me finding my S.O. I had to push myself outside my comfort zone, plus work with a skewed sleep schedule, to meet him. After 2 years of attending meet-ups, and and also going to a monthly Adult Aspie support group, I found him. If I would have stayed indoors, with my special interests, my cat, and my computer, I would still be complaining about my single status. 8)

alex
Developer
Developer

31 Jan 2010, 4:09 pm

dont' have one

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 4:20 pm

alex wrote:
dont' have one

Same here.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 4:48 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
FreeSpirit2000 wrote:

I beg to differ! :) I like to think that hard work, not luck, led to me finding my S.O. I had to push myself outside my comfort zone, plus work with a skewed sleep schedule, to meet him. After 2 years of attending meet-ups, and and also going to a monthly Adult Aspie support group, I found him. If I would have stayed indoors, with my special interests, my cat, and my computer, I would still be complaining about my single status. 8)

There definitely is an element of "work." Imagine if I'd gotten bitter about my future dh not contacting me for those 2 years? I didn't; by that time I'd lived enough life to learn that bitterness gets you nowhere. It took a lot of work to learn to roll with things, and to be willing to take risks when those risks got really scary.

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2010, 7:21 pm

My wife and I met playing online strategy games. We knew each other for a year and a half before we had the chance to meet, at Thanksgiving, with about two dozen of her extended relatives. And most of them are born-again Christians, and strident Republicans. I'm still amazed I walked away from that dinner alive.

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2010, 8:00 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
There definitely is an element of "work."

I agree. It wasn't only luck in my case. There was the working extra for money to fly to see her and back, and then moving 1500 miles and filling out the forms to get permission to live in another country permanently. But it was worth it. I guess I had to push myself out of my "comfort zone" as well, or none of this would ever have happened.