Should I get a DSI/Is it worth the money?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 1:20 pm

Pretty much what the question states xD
I have a DS lite, but I was wondering whether or not it was worth purchasing a DSI. Can someone please give me an idea of the good and bad points?

alex
Developer
Developer

28 Dec 2009, 1:22 pm

do you know you have asperger's? go for the official diagnosis if you can afford it, but don't waste money you don't have!

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 2:25 pm

Well, the novelty of the camera and the music player is nice.

BUT you loose the GBA slot.
AND the DSi is an account device! Meaning that it's serial number will be forever tied to your name. It may effect resale value.

And, of course, there's the downloadable DSi-ware games. Photo Fighter X seems to be the best of the lot.

I'm holding out for the DSi XL. Look into it, it has a bigger screen and is supposed to come out in March.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2009, 2:57 pm

Is you have a working DS light, I would say.. nope, not worth it. If your DS light is dead or you want to trade it in for an upgrade (not sure how credit GameStop gives you for a trade-in) it may be worth it. The camera is a novelty item, the Opera web browser is a bit limited.. but is workable. A few people posted here using it.

The selection of downloadable games is small but growing.
It takes standard SD cards to save data and transfer photos and such. The music format is a bit strange, I have not found a good free converter yet.

It would be nice if someone came out with Skype video for it, it would make a great pocket video phone.

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 3:38 pm

alex wrote:
do you know you have asperger's? go for the official diagnosis if you can afford it, but don't waste money you don't have!

Um...what?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 5:34 pm

I got a DSi when it first came out because Gamestop had a reasonable trade in deal for the DS Lite. I might do the same when the new DSi comes out which is what you should wait a few months for too.

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 6:14 pm

I haven't seen an Au/NZ release date for the DSi LL or XL model yet.

How does the DSi ware store look, here in the states, it's pretty bad, but in Japan, it's AWESOME.

I've posted to WP from my PSP, but not a DS yet. I may have to try that, just for bragging rights!!

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 8:16 pm

FieryGatoh wrote:
alex wrote:

Um...what?

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well, Alex probably was reading more than one thread and posted in the wrong one. I did that once.

Anyway, I wouldn't do it. The camera and sound editor are worthless gimmicks, and there is no Gameboy Advance slot. They took away one of the best features, even if my DS Lite broke I'd get another one not the DSi.

Even though there are downloadable games why pay for them if you have the actual games?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 9:48 pm

The DSi camera has a Facebook button to upload the photo directly to your page.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2009, 3:02 pm

Venger wrote:

Yet the built in browser does not allow you to view your facebook pages. :(

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 4:47 pm

Oregon wrote:
Venger wrote:

Yet the built in browser does not allow you to view your facebook pages. :(

It seems to work for me although it loads web pages pretty slow.

Thundaeagle
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2009, 12:24 am

I can get onto facebook on my DSi's browser. Best to use the mobile or touch sites. It is alright but I would've been happy to have a DS lite (my grandfather gave it to me for a present). At least I can play pokemon cause it has been ages since I played a pokemon game.

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2009, 9:03 pm

I got a DSi the other day, and so far, I really like it. However, the controls on it make me not play as good as I would on the DS Lite. This is probably just me getting used to it though.