Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 9:52 pm

Any takers on this idea?

Propaganda The Formation of Men's Attitudes (excerpts)

By Jacques Ellul (1965)

Quote:
The Individual and the Masses

Any modern propaganda will, first of all, address itself at one and the same time to the individual and to the masses. It cannot separate the two elements. For propaganda to address itself to the individual, in his isolation, apart from the crowd, is impossible. The individual is of no interest to the propagandist; as an isolated unit he presents much too much resistance to external action. To be effective, propaganda cannot be concerned with detail, not only because to win men over one by one takes much too long, but also because to create certain convictions in an isolated individual is much too difficult.

Please read the link.

http://www.icdc.com/~paulwolf/oss/propaganda.htm

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 11:27 pm

Definition:
Propaganda is neutrally defined as a systematic form of purposeful persuasion that attempts to influence the emotions, attitudes, opinions, and actions of specified target audiences for ideological, political or commercial purposes through the controlled transmission of one-sided messages (which may or may not be factual) via mass and direct media channels."
—Richard Alan Nelson, A Chronology and Glossary of Propaganda in the United States, 1996

This definition fits advertising, religious declarations, political proclamations, some literature and art forms, etc.

To declare that individuals are not influenced is total nonsense (and propaganda).

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 11:42 pm

Thanks for your opinion Sand. So, are you admitting that you are inclined to be persuaded by advertising?

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 11:56 pm

Magnus wrote:
Thanks for your opinion Sand. So, are you admitting that you are inclined to be persuaded by advertising?

Are you intimating that this billion dollar industry is totally ineffective? Of course I read the cascade of crap that pops through my mail slot and take advantage of a bargain when I see it. You don't?

SporadSpontan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2009, 5:32 am

Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Are you intimating that this billion dollar industry is totally ineffective? Of course I read the cascade of crap that pops through my mail slot and take advantage of a bargain when I see it. You don't?

If you want the bargain but neither need or want the product then you are allowing yourself to be manipulated.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 9:38 am

SporadSpontan wrote:
Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:

If you want the bargain but neither need or want the product then you are allowing yourself to be manipulated.

Anytime I buy anything I neither need nor want I am not manipulated, I am off my rocker. I live on such a tight budget that I am always in the lookout for second hand toilet paper.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 3:20 pm

you might find this interesting.

http://www.historyisaweapon.org/defcon1/bernprop.html

it is the full text of propaganda, written by edward bernays in 1928. he was the nephew of sigmund freud.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Last edited by peebo on 29 Dec 2009, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 4:17 pm

Sand wrote:
I live on such a tight budget that I am always in the lookout for second hand toilet paper.

You can make it last twice as long by using both sides. :wink:

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 4:22 pm

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Last edited by peebo on 29 Dec 2009, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 4:40 pm

Magnus wrote:

Advertising has at least two functions: One, is to tell you what is available in the market place, the other is to convince you to buy Brand X instead of Brand Y.

ruveyn

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 6:15 pm

Sand wrote:
SporadSpontan wrote:
Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Anytime I buy anything I neither need nor want I am not manipulated, I am off my rocker. I live on such a tight budget that I am always in the lookout for second hand toilet paper.

On blind test Pepsi is show to have a better taste that CocaCola. But with the brands on its CocaCola who win. Advertising and marketing seem to have been quite efficient for CocaCola.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 8:25 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Sand wrote:
I live on such a tight budget that I am always in the lookout for second hand toilet paper.

You can make it last twice as long by using both sides. :wink:

There is, of course, an entire technology involved in this. The normal procedure is to use one side and hang it out in sunlight to dry before using the second side but a surprise rainshower can make things difficult. Using a commercial laundromat for drying is an expense that not only destroys the economy of the operation but frequently ends in violence when other patrons of the laundromat discover your procedures. There have been experiments with mobius toilet paper where the use of both sides is a standard procedure but it is advisable to wear surgical gloves when using that.
A certain economy can be attained by selling the paper for fertilizer once both sides have been used but the FDA has standards about that and the diet restrictions necessary to assure the fertilizer has the correct components and the monotony of an FDA certified diet can be depressing.
There is some research being done on permanent toilet toilet paper in the mode of a roller towel but experiments using an electric drill as a power source have sent many anal scientists to the emergency room and the medical establishment has frowned on this research so much of this has to be conducted by the anal underground. There is something of a growing market for volunteer wipers with the economy on the downturn but the business probably never will become over popular. We must look to the Chinese these days as night soil has been a cultural tradition there for centuries and there may be a market in the material since there is a constant source of supply and most economies have not yet discovered how to package it attractively or make it interesting for holiday and birthday gifts. Propaganda may solve this problem.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 8:31 pm

peebo wrote:
you might find this interesting.

http://www.historyisaweapon.org/defcon1/bernprop.html

it is the full text of propaganda, written by edward bernays in 1928. he was the nephew of sigmund freud.

It is an awesome article. I posted it here on PPR a while back, but nobody got into it. Orwell at least read it, I think...

-Pythagoras

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 8:36 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Advertising has at least two functions: One, is to tell you what is available in the market place, the other is to convince you to buy Brand X instead of Brand Y.

ruveyn

I meant persuaded on a manipulative level. The title of this thread is Propaganda. There is a psychology to advertising in the same way that there is a psychology to government propaganda. Many of us don't even see how the government manipulates us.

I don't want to complain. I'm lucky to be here. It could be much worse. But, the interesting part of the essay is how individualists are less affected by propaganda. That seems pretty obvious to me, but the interesting thing is why it would be that way.

-Pythagoras

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 11:44 pm

What's really funny is that Propaganda actually comes from the Church...;)
I swear there is a Center for Marian Propaganda in Rome, not but a short walk from the Vatican. I wanted so much to slip a 't' into Marian, and see if anyone would notice...;)

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 11:59 pm

Religion uses propaganda too. Religion is also used as a propaganda device for various governments. How many Buddhists are in the senate? How about Muslims, Hindus, atheists, agnostics have held high positions in US government?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_ ... tes_Senate

-Pythagoras