Page 7 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 3:08 pm

phil777 wrote:
Ruveyn >< That last bit, although the metaphor is correct, is a bit erroneous in that you're comparing plants with fleshy beings. <.< There's kind of a lot of differences between the reproductive stages of the two organisms (if they can even be called that, at this point)...

Yes but not in the way that you mean. A nut is closer to being a tree than a zygote is to a human.

soak a bean in water and three days later its a plant. It didnt have to change much. A seed is much closer to its realized potential than the beginnings of a human.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 7:24 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I've been Pro-life my entire life. I feel that every child deserves a chance at life, no matter what. If the parents don't want the child, than there's always the option of adopting the child out. Every child is a wanted child.

A fetus in the early stages of development is NOT a child. What do you call something that does not have a functioning cerebral cortex? Is it a human? Is it a child?

When the fetus is late in the third trimester you may have the glimmering of an argument, but not any time in the first trimester.

Just keep in mind: acorns are NOT oak trees.

ruveyn

In your opinion. Obviously, CockneyRebel sees it differently.

To be clear, I respect your opinion, and knowing that reasonable people hold it is one of the reasons I am legally pro-choice. But you should also respect the opposing opinion and beliefs. Feel free to explain that you don't see it that way, of course. Just understand that it is a valid position and belief, and it would be nice to phrase your arguments showing respect for that.

As far as trying to assign a timeline to it, my opinion is that once the fetus is capable of surviving outside of the womb, whether or not extensive measuers are required, the ability to argue it isn't a life fails. Period. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise. To that point, yes. I get it - potential human life, not current human life. After that point - it's a life.

I am not particularly in favor of disrespect under most circumstances but opinions are crucial to action and when a pregnant woman has the capacity to decide how her life should be organized for decades and whether an early unwanted fertilization has the capacity to ruin her life I would not deprive her of the ability to make the choice of her life because of some opposing opinion of someone who will not suffer any consequence for the decision. This is a very personal action and it should be left to her. We are each endowed with a very limited time to live and some choices must be left to the individual.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 7:45 pm

MrLoony wrote:
Abortions done because it would make the mother's life more complicated.

The mother's life.

Now, I see a lot of pro-autism talk here about how Autism Speaks focuses on the parents, and don't consider the child. It seems to me that if you're going to argue that focusing on the mother is bad when talking about autism, shouldn't that carry over to abortion?

Sure, anyone who has been born, probably should not be aborted. No citizen should be aborted. Autism-speaks should not be prevented from making media productions that proclaim the risks of unborns and the likelihood of such ruining marriages and bankrupting those unfortunate enough to be afflicted with one (or more). Autism Speaks should not be prevented from creating and disseminating media in which those afflicted with unborns discuss in the presence of the unborn, how the unborn makes the mother want to take her life and how only the unborn's sibling prevents them from doing so.

See, all very fair and equal.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 2:51 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've been Pro-life my entire life. I feel that every child deserves a chance at life, no matter what. If the parents don't want the child, than there's always the option of adopting the child out. Every child is a wanted child.
A woman cannot give the child up for adoption without the Father's consent. The exception being if she does not know who he is, then again that exemption may have it's own issues.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.