Do you listen to loud music/ hear sounds within sounds ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2009, 3:35 am

When my family is around all the small noises are usually bearable except smacking, nail biting, startling noises (i startle easily) the constant chatter is not always bearable though. When i am alone every car passing by hum of a fridge or heater ,dripping faucet can become a voice or just sound like it is right next to me a knock on the door practically causes an anxiety attack! . Partially to cope with this and partially because of the all consuming joy of having my whole being vibrate with the music i listen to my favorites as loud as humanly possible when alone. If i am stressed this can actually ground me like nothing else. I know there is a name for this does anyone know about this?. I feared I was schizophrenic for awhile until i realized I was converting existing noises instead of hearing things that aren't there.

30 Dec 2009, 4:39 am

Water dripping annoys me, it has sounded like it was right in the room instead of outside. I can hear water dripping in the kitchen loud and clear. I used to hear my brothers up in the playroom from the basement in my room and my parents get mad at me when I get mad at them for being too loud. I had a vent in my room and I could hear them through that and my parents didn't seem to give rats. I have heard a sound at my parents lake house and no one else could hear it but when my mom got in a certain spot in the house, she heard it and then when she went back to the living room and sat down, she didn't hear it. I used to think I was going crazy until my aspie mate's mother said it could be sensitive hearing. So for a while I thought I had above normal hearing until I met my ex and he heard sounds I couldn't hear.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 5:40 am

It sounds like it could be an aspect of sensory processing disorder. My son has problems with this. Loudness doesn't bother him so much, but he can hear sounds others can't and if he can't identify where it's coming from it freaks him out. He described one sound to me and I realized it was probably someone's alarm going off in another apartment. My hearing is pretty good but his is unreal.

rabryst
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2009, 6:39 am

I have hyper-sensitive hearing, which gets me into trouble because I don't listen to people all the time. They call it selective hearing.

(If I had selective hearing, I could ignore the noises that keep me awake at night, like the crickets in the garden, the mosquitoes, the computer in the next room through a closed door, etc etc etc.)

Sorry, I went on a bit of a rant, but I am the same: I'll hear sounds no one else can hear, and sometimes like a dripping tap I'll think of a song to go with it. I remember once I had to sleep in another room when the overflow valve on our geyser broke, and it dripped onto the roof all night. It drove me completely dotty.

Oh, and if someone figures out how to control selective hearing, please let me know! :-)

Aspie-B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2009, 9:11 am

I often hear the ringing of my cell phone, but when I check my cell phone there is no history of a missed call.

I think if I hear the first "note" of my cell phone ring, my brain plays the rest for me, and tricks me into thinking that I heard the whole ring.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 9:29 am

rabryst wrote:
I have hyper-sensitive hearing, which gets me into trouble because I don't listen to people all the time. They call it selective hearing.

(If I had selective hearing, I could ignore the noises that keep me awake at night, like the crickets in the garden, the mosquitoes, the computer in the next room through a closed door, etc etc etc.)

Sorry, I went on a bit of a rant, but I am the same: I'll hear sounds no one else can hear, and sometimes like a dripping tap I'll think of a song to go with it. I remember once I had to sleep in another room when the overflow valve on our geyser broke, and it dripped onto the roof all night. It drove me completely dotty.

Oh, and if someone figures out how to control selective hearing, please let me know! :-)

Yeah, I often get like this too. I cant sleep with a clock around. I can hear the ticking through plenty of walls an whatnot. Another one that gets me into situations is if people are whispering and I am focused on something else, Ill hear it loud as if they were whispering in my ear, but if they yell to me, I wont make out a single word sometimes, then I say what, and people get all hissy pissy. I can also hear electrical currents, so yeah. I can hear the humming through walls and everything, but this is one of the sounds ive been working on phasing out even though the sounds saturate my life. Another sense that I can be like this with is smell as well, so yeh.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

rabryst
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2009, 12:37 pm

@Aspie-B: Me too. The ringing of the cellphone which I don't hear sometimes extends to feeling it vibrate in my pocket, which presented for the first time this month. That's not fun.

@DemonAbyss10: I've managed to tune out clocks, but the crickets outside and the tumble-drier three rooms away are still not out of phase. That whispering thing sometimes happens to me as well.

Another thing I've noticed (this is off-topic) is I'll get bored with what someone is saying and do something else (often without their knowledge). If I sense a gap in their wordstream, I can play back the last five or ten words verbatim, process whether it's a question aimed at me, and respond accordingly. If I can't process it, I'll tell them to speak slower and in English, which is a humorous way to hide that I wasn't actually listening.

Edit: @ilivinamushroom, I forgot to mention twice now, that I need very loud music sometimes to relax.

LilaAutism
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2009, 12:47 pm

Hi,
There is a name for it something like hypercussis. (Hyper sensitive hearing) I did auditory training for my son with autism when he was 3 and he has not covered his ears since. I also did it for my other 2 kids just 2 years ago by buying an ipod with special headphones that vibrate. They are not cheap like $2000 but it is sooo worth it. The nice thing about the home ipod is the whole family uses it. me too. I was able to get my son with adhd off meds with it and also he stopped talking so loud. See he was not hearing what he sounded like so he did not know he was talking so loud. He also said he no longer needed to listen to his music so loud.

My daughter could hear the ice cream man a full minute before anyone else could. She also complained about chewing and noises really rattled her nerves in the past. She is much better now.

I had ringing in my ears and ADHD and it has helped with both things as well.
LilaAutism

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2009, 4:38 pm

wow this is awesome feed back I am happy that others understand what I am talking about , as a kid I didnt know it was different but as an adult it became really obvious it wasnt normal. I also hear electricity and the sun makes a sound especially when it rises , sometimes i would get up early just to hear it , hmm maybe we are just more highly evolved. Only one person hit on music does anyone else use loud music to self sooth?

rabryst
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2009, 6:44 pm

Interesting about you hearing the sun - I prefer the evenings because then the sun isn't so loud :-)

Awesome!

righton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2009, 6:51 pm

Clocks ticking drive me nuts. I have only digital clocks except my watch, which is quiet. Sometimes if there's a lot of noise going on, I think I hear phones ringing when there aren't any. I can also hear a CRT, including a TV with the volume off, from anywhere in the house.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 7:05 pm

rabryst wrote:
Interesting about you hearing the sun - I prefer the evenings because then the sun isn't so loud :-)

Awesome!

I was curious about hearing the Sun (I can't) and found this website. Pretty cool. My ears are much more sensitive to high pitched sounds. Some low pitched ones I completely miss.
http://soi.stanford.edu/results/sounds.html

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 9:41 pm

I have this weird thing happen. I have a heater and when it's on (for awhile) it sounded like a rock banging song LOL! Until I got used to the noise of it clicking on/off (I'm in FL so I obviously don't use the heater much) :-) I also HATE pouring rain alot of people like it NOT ME! It's too loud and takes me awhile to fall asleep if it's raining outside. I for some reason like my tv loud (20-40 for favorite shows and 15-20 for normal volume)

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 11:46 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I have this weird thing happen. I have a heater and when it's on (for awhile) it sounded like a rock banging song LOL! Until I got used to the noise of it clicking on/off (I'm in FL so I obviously don't use the heater much) :-) I also HATE pouring rain alot of people like it NOT ME! It's too loud and takes me awhile to fall asleep if it's raining outside. I for some reason like my tv loud (20-40 for favorite shows and 15-20 for normal volume)

I am the same way with rain. the sound drives me nuts to the point of banging my head off of the wall. With this thread ive been thinking of something to try with my guitar and distortion and whatnot. I can hear "very" subtle sound changes and changes in the distortion as I strum and pick notes. Sadly I need to find a good way to record stuff without spending alot *most I have is a microphone and a jack converter for I can plug my guitar cable into a computer if I so felt like it. doubt either method would be sensitive enough.

for example, for those who know what I am about to say, to some people some notes can sound exactly the same even though they are fundamentally different. Some people, like me and probably some of the overly sensitive ones out there, can tell a huge difference between the notes. Maybe I just found a niche for musical development, I dunno.

and yeah, forgot to post my answer to the op in the original post of mine, yeah, loud music helps, but only to the point that I get used to it. once I get used to it, I focus on the sounds most people wouldn't hear, both within the music itself (in my words, hearing the peaks AND valleys of each sound wave and whats in-between) and also sounds from occurrences outside of music land. Ive already had my volume way up on either my amp or headphones, and could still hear the clocks in the other rooms, or the refrigerator humming, or just plain old electrical dissonance/noise in general.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2009, 1:57 am

rabryst wrote:

Awesome!

Yes often if I am not doing well or have a headache I feel like i am in a fog all day then suddenly as the sun and its subsequent noise are gone I feel like i can open my eyes this was especially true as a child , I was quite a night owl.

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2009, 2:05 am

Aimless wrote:
rabryst wrote:

Awesome!

I was curious about hearing the Sun (I can't) and found this website. Pretty cool. My ears are much more sensitive to high pitched sounds. Some low pitched ones I completely miss.
http://soi.stanford.edu/results/sounds.html

Yikes make sure your volume is down before trying this I am still trembling. Minus the static the third one is the best match for what I hear or more accurately feel ,most sounds I feel as much as hear is that true for others?