Daydreaming: building an Aspie community

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,108
Location: The broom closet on the 13th floor

30 Dec 2009, 12:40 pm

Sometimes I feel I really need to leave this overcrowded country of mine (Holland, 1035 people/sq. mile) and move somewhere where real solitude and seclusion still exists and where the air is purer. I've never been to the US before, but in my mind Washington is the most beautiful US state of all. The photos I've seen remind me of Switzerland, which I think is the most beautiful European country. Now, the homesteading thread got me thinking. If I win the New Year Eve's Lottery (for which I bought half a ticket) and I win half the jackpot (in which event I would have 13 million euros), I'd like to buy this property in Washington state (this link) and build an Aspie community there.

Of course playing in lotteries is complete lunacy, but once a year I allow myself to spend some money in order to dream grandly. Who wants to join me in Washington?


_________________
Dabey müssen wir nichts seyn, sondern alles werden wollen, und besonders nicht öffter stille stehen und ruhen, als die Nothdurfft eines müden Geistes und Körpers erfordert. - Goethe


robinhood
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 27 May 2008
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 289
Location: UK

30 Dec 2009, 1:38 pm

Yay!

I smiled reading this because I was chatting to an aspie friend over the net last night and we were imagining a town called "Aspieville" where everyone knew the score, and everything worked the way it was supposed to...

I'm into it! :lol:



Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 240
Location: New Zealand

30 Dec 2009, 2:22 pm

There was a topic along those lines just the other day:


http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... 50#2531950

Maybe continue the discussion there?

And I'm in favour of not doing it in the US, becuase it's too difficult for non-US Aspies to get in.

New Zealand is small, clean, green, and not very densely populated at all...but I'm hardly unbiased there! Could buy a rural block out here that's miles from anywhere.



Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2009
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,067

30 Dec 2009, 2:53 pm

I really like my setting where I am now, but I would seriously consider joining you in building an aspie community there in Washington and think that is a very good location, as well. We need lots of nature and fresh air to build our lives and dreams upon. I have dreamed of this myself and have envisioned many cottages, trails, gardens and tipis. I would like it to be peaceful and harmonious though. I'm with you. :D



Apera
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 880
Location: In Your Eyes

30 Dec 2009, 3:19 pm

My uncle lives in Washougal, and I visit him in the summer sometimes. It's rather arid compared to the climate I'm used to in Buffalo, NY. In the winter, he tells me, it doesn't snow so much as rain. Nonstop rain for about three months.

Yes, that region is certainly nice to look at, but I wouldn't want to live there for very long.


_________________
When I allow it to be
There's no control over me
I have my fears
But they do not have me


Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2009
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,067

30 Dec 2009, 3:26 pm

Apera wrote:
My uncle lives in Washougal, and I visit him in the summer sometimes. It's rather arid compared to the climate I'm used to in Buffalo, NY. In the winter, he tells me, it doesn't snow so much as rain. Nonstop rain for about three months.

Yes, that region is certainly nice to look at, but I wouldn't want to live there for very long.


I agree with you about the arid conditions but the thought really is what counts. I much prefer the climate and terrain where I am but love the concept, though I doubt it would really work unless they were some very special people who know how to behave harmoniously and conduct themselves appropriately.



dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,108
Location: The broom closet on the 13th floor

30 Dec 2009, 3:29 pm

Aietra wrote:
There was a topic along those lines just the other day:


http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... 50#2531950

Maybe continue the discussion there?

And I'm in favour of not doing it in the US, becuase it's too difficult for non-US Aspies to get in.

New Zealand is small, clean, green, and not very densely populated at all...but I'm hardly unbiased there! Could buy a rural block out here that's miles from anywhere.


Sorry, I must have overlooked that thread. Is there any easy way of merging threads?


_________________
Dabey müssen wir nichts seyn, sondern alles werden wollen, und besonders nicht öffter stille stehen und ruhen, als die Nothdurfft eines müden Geistes und Körpers erfordert. - Goethe


Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2009
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,067

30 Dec 2009, 3:30 pm

And BTW Dddhgg, I hope you win that lottery! :D



dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,108
Location: The broom closet on the 13th floor

30 Dec 2009, 3:37 pm

Apera wrote:
My uncle lives in Washougal, and I visit him in the summer sometimes. It's rather arid compared to the climate I'm used to in Buffalo, NY. In the winter, he tells me, it doesn't snow so much as rain. Nonstop rain for about three months.

Yes, that region is certainly nice to look at, but I wouldn't want to live there for very long.


The idea is that land in Washington is relatively cheap to buy in great quantities, compared to, for example, New York. Look at http://www.unitedcountry.com and do some searches in Washington and New York, for comparison. It's not at all uncommon to find 100 acres+ estates for less than a million dollars there. In Holland this buys you a sort-of-nice house, but almost no land. I don't know about New Zealand though, like someone else suggested.


_________________
Dabey müssen wir nichts seyn, sondern alles werden wollen, und besonders nicht öffter stille stehen und ruhen, als die Nothdurfft eines müden Geistes und Körpers erfordert. - Goethe


dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,108
Location: The broom closet on the 13th floor

30 Dec 2009, 3:41 pm

Meadow wrote:
And BTW Dddhgg, I hope you win that lottery! :D


Why, thank you! I hope so too! Maybe the intention of doing something concrete for other people is going to bring me good luck.


_________________
Dabey müssen wir nichts seyn, sondern alles werden wollen, und besonders nicht öffter stille stehen und ruhen, als die Nothdurfft eines müden Geistes und Körpers erfordert. - Goethe


Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2009
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,067

30 Dec 2009, 3:46 pm

dddhgg wrote:
Meadow wrote:
And BTW Dddhgg, I hope you win that lottery! :D


Why, thank you! I hope so too! Maybe the intention of doing something concrete for other people is going to bring me good luck.


I should think so! Keep the faith.



millie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,448

30 Dec 2009, 3:52 pm

I hope you all enjoy the community.
I cannot think of anything worse.......
I've met quite a few aspies in my time and all i know is that they are as nice and nasty as the wider population.
Near where I live are many, many multiple occupancy alternative communities.......They were formed in the 60's and 70's.
I could not stand to live in that kind of community with that level of familiarity with other people........
I need my space and isolation



dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,108
Location: The broom closet on the 13th floor

30 Dec 2009, 3:56 pm

millie wrote:
I hope you all enjoy the community.
I cannot think of anything worse.......
I've met quite a few aspies in my time and all i know is that they are as nice and nasty as the wider population.
Near where I live are many, many multiple occupancy alternative communities.......They were formed in the 60's and 70's.
I could not stand to live in that kind of community with that level of familiarity with other people........
I need my space and isolation


That's why the plot of land would need to be relatively large. I also can't stand having other people up close and closer. The community would be all about helping each other when times are rough, and leaving each other alone in the intervals. I know from friends' tales that living in a hippie-style community can be an awfully oppressive experience. It shouldn't be anything like that.


_________________
Dabey müssen wir nichts seyn, sondern alles werden wollen, und besonders nicht öffter stille stehen und ruhen, als die Nothdurfft eines müden Geistes und Körpers erfordert. - Goethe


Last edited by dddhgg on 30 Dec 2009, 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,448

30 Dec 2009, 4:01 pm

oh...goodo. :)

I do understand what you are saying, but it is not for me.
But i can see why others may well find it really great.

For example, I like meeting some other ASD people. There can be a relatedness there at times...which i have found comforting when I am really down about my AS.



Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2009
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,067

30 Dec 2009, 4:12 pm

It would be a total drag to deal with loud or abrasive types and if it were like that I would really hate it.