Birth Mom in Custody Battle Has 'Disappeared'

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 2:03 pm

Quote:
MONTPELIER, Vt. (Dec. 29) -- The birth mother of a 7-year-old Virginia girl must transfer custody of the child to the woman's former lesbian partner, a Vermont judge ruled, adding that it seems the woman has "disappeared" with her daughter.

Vermont Family Court Judge William Cohen ordered Lisa Miller of Winchester, Va., to turn over daughter Isabella to Janet Jenkins of Fair Haven at 1 p.m. Friday at the Virginia home of Jenkins' parents.

But in the Dec. 22 order denying Miller's request to delay the transfer of Isabella, Cohen wrote: "It appears that Ms. Miller has ceased contact with her attorneys and disappeared with the minor child."

Miller and Jenkins were joined in a Vermont civil union in 2000. Isabella was born to Miller through artificial insemination in 2002. The couple broke up in 2003, and Miller moved to Virginia, renounced homosexuality and became an evangelical Christian.

http://www.sphere.com/nation/article/vermont-judge-orders-biological-mom-to-transfer-custody-to-ex-partner/19297344?icid=main|main|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sphere.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Fvermont-judge-orders-biological-mom-to-transfer-custody-to-ex-partner%2F19297344

Are any of the "Disagree with Judge's Decision" crowd on the Poll actually paying attention to this part, or are they a bit selective?
Quote:
Cohen awarded custody of the girl to Jenkins on Nov. 20 after finding Miller in contempt of court for denying Jenkins access to the girl.

Miller broke the law. Period.

You break the law, your choice gets you the consequences.
Oh yeah, I know, the Court never lets anyone know that can happen - they keep that well hidden, right.

And last time I checked, doesn't the Bible those Evangelical Christians use say something in the New Testament about respecting the laws of the rulers God has appointed over the citizens? Because, by implication, it shows respect to God?

Being a bit selective of what scriptures to follow are we, Ms Miller?

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 6:14 pm

southwestforests wrote:

Are any of the "Disagree with Judge's Decision" crowd on the Poll actually paying attention to this part, or are they a bit selective?
Quote:
Cohen awarded custody of the girl to Jenkins on Nov. 20 after finding Miller in contempt of court for denying Jenkins access to the girl.

Miller broke the law. Period.

You break the law, your choice gets you the consequences.
Oh yeah, I know, the Court never lets anyone know that can happen - they keep that well hidden, right.

And last time I checked, doesn't the Bible those Evangelical Christians use say something in the New Testament about respecting the laws of the rulers God has appointed over the citizens? Because, by implication, it shows respect to God?

Being a bit selective of what scriptures to follow are we, Ms Miller?

Actually, she didn't break the law. Tell me where in the Bible, or the U.S., Vermont, or Virginia's constitutions that a lesbian has the rights to another woman's daughter. Laso, tell me where in these constitutions that a judge has the authority to make law. He does not have the authority to make law. The words of an unrighteous ruler does not make law. Laws come in a certain order. First there is the "Law of Moses" (actually, Moses was just a messenger - not the Lawmaker). After that, there is the Constitution (Federal and then state constitutions). Then after that, there are the various laws enacted by legislatures. When a lower law counteracts a higher law, then the higher law takes precedence. In this case the right of a mother to raise her daughter takes precedence over a corrupt judge's ruling. Even the Bible is clear that we don't have to obey the rulings of government when they are in conflict with the Creator's laws. In fact, I would say that this mother is doing her sacred duty in protecting her daughter from this other woman. In fact, if she were to come to me for quarter or money, I would give it to her. You wouldn't let a corrupt judge steal your children, would you?

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 6:56 pm

cyberscan wrote:
Quote:
Actually, she didn't break the law.

Uhhh, tell me how that works again? Sounds like a huge non-sequitur to me.

cyberscan wrote:
Tell me where in the Bible, or the U.S., Vermont, or Virginia's constitutions that a lesbian has the rights to another woman's daughter.
Given the way that is stated it is safe to presume that statement comes from knowledge that those documents specifically state she does not, yes? no?

To my way of looking at this the proper thing to do would be respect the Judge's rulings and then apply the principle in that parable about the persistent widow in Luke 18: 1 - 8 where she keeps on the Judge's case until what is right is done.

Miller's earlier choice to engage in relationship with Jenkins has consequences. Which will last the rest of both their lives. Be the consequences positive or negative.

This is the playing out of those consequences.
Cause and effect.

Miller might well come up facing kidnapping charges, it wouldn't be astonishing.
If such charges are levied she might well lose custody permanently as result of flagrant disregard for law.
She has dug her hole deeper.
A huge mistake as I see it.

If same-sex couples want the same legal rights as heterosexual couples this kind of happening is not surprising. Equal legal rights is equal legal rights is equal legal rights.
Even if someone doesn't like them.

Quote:
You wouldn't let a corrupt judge . . .

I need some evidence the judge is corrupt.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 7:12 pm

Populations wind up with the kind of government which they allow to happen. Old Testament is full of examples of that.

The people allowed a government to come into power which is favorable to these kind of decisions.

The people have gotten what they wanted.

And these are some of the consequences of their choice.

Evangelical Christians who do not care for the above should put more energy into personal evangelism so as to bring the population to Christ and God where then a different nature of things will be favored by the people.

That is what will change the laws - change the people so they desire different laws.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 7:46 pm

southwestforests wrote:
cyberscan wrote:
Quote:
Actually, she didn't break the law.

Uhhh, tell me how that works again? Sounds like a huge non-sequitur to me.

cyberscan wrote:
Tell me where in the Bible, or the U.S., Vermont, or Virginia's constitutions that a lesbian has the rights to another woman's daughter.
Given the way that is stated it is safe to presume that statement comes from knowledge that those documents specifically state she does not, yes? no?

To my way of looking at this the proper thing to do would be respect the Judge's rulings and then apply the principle in that parable about the persistent widow in Luke 18: 1 - 8 where she keeps on the Judge's case until what is right is done.

Miller's earlier choice to engage in relationship with Jenkins has consequences. Which will last the rest of both their lives. Be the consequences positive or negative.

This is the playing out of those consequences.
Cause and effect.

Miller might well come up facing kidnapping charges, it wouldn't be astonishing.
If such charges are levied she might well lose custody permanently as result of flagrant disregard for law.
She has dug her hole deeper.
A huge mistake as I see it.

If same-sex couples want the same legal rights as heterosexual couples this kind of happening is not surprising. Equal legal rights is equal legal rights is equal legal rights.
Even if someone doesn't like them.

Quote:
You wouldn't let a corrupt judge . . .

I need some evidence the judge is corrupt.

In the case of Luke 18: 1 - 8, the widow had the freedom to keep approaching the judges. In the Police States of America, we no longer have that freedom unless we can afford to give up hundreds of dollars each time we approach the judge. The judge has proven himself to be corrupt based upon his ruling and commentary. he shows he either has no understanding or wilful regard of the constitutions and laws applicable. In fact it should be a jury making such a decision and not a judge

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 7:58 pm

southwestforests wrote:
Populations wind up with the kind of government which they allow to happen. Old Testament is full of examples of that.

The people allowed a government to come into power which is favorable to these kind of decisions.

The people have gotten what they wanted.

And these are some of the consequences of their choice.

Evangelical Christians who do not care for the above should put more energy into personal evangelism so as to bring the population to Christ and God where then a different nature of things will be favored by the people.

That is what will change the laws - change the people so they desire different laws.

I agree. Most of the churches over the last century have failed to do their jobs. It was many of these churches that were responsible for abolishing slavery, instituting charities, etc. Now, many of these churches have changed their operations to that of entertainment religion and caused people to lose their faith. Some Christians, Jews, and Messianic Jews, etc. are trying to turn the tide. The Police States of America have taken over these united States. We are currently in a battle to restore the Republic. The united States of America was respected and admired by most of the world including the Arabs. When the governments of the Police States of America took over, the nation rightfully lost the respect that was once afforded it. It is time to restore the republic.

http://www.fija.org details a very potent and non-violent weapon for doing so, and
http://aeinstein.org/organizations/org/FDTD.pdf also gives many good strategies for achieving the same.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 8:38 pm

southwestforests wrote:
Miller's earlier choice to engage in relationship with Jenkins has consequences.

That is the bottom line here, and the judge who works for the state she first petitioned for the civil union that eventually "produced" the child is doing exactly as he has been charged to do. Later changing her mind is something Ms. Miller can do, but then the consequences can only accumulate, not disappear.